Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Should I pay a part-timer for a day off?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:28 pm
I have a cleaning lady/babysitter for 3 days a week. Whenever either she had something on a day I usually have her, or I had an appt. on a day I usually don't, she was flexible and I was flexible and we'd switch a day she works. For ex. instead of a Monday she'd work Tues and then Wed and Fri so it always equaled 3 days a week and that is what I pay her for.

This week she came to watch my baby on Rosh Hashana so I can go to Shul. She came both Shabbos and Sunday. I told her since she is working those two days to take Monday for herself and come back Tuesday. I figured she'd come Tues, either Wed or Thurs and then Fri. On Tues she told me her BIL passed and she was finding out when the funeral was. I said to let me know and it was not a problem if she could only work one other day this week and in the end, that day was today and the funeral is tomorrow. At the end of today I paid her and I gave her for the weekend 50 dollars more than what I pay her for 2 days normally. And Sunday she was only by me from 10-1. Shabbos was a longer day because she stayed to help till the afternoon. So I felt I was being really good to her because she did come to work on the weekend. I also paid her for the 2 days she worked this week.

She walked away looking upset and came back a few minutes later and said "You won't pay me for a day when I have a funeral or a family emergency? I would normally have worked tomorrow." I was stunned. And then she said "Also you told me you would re-evaluate my salary after 3 months and it's been longer than that (I had said 6 months but with the hours she works what I pay is very fair and I honestly can't see doing any sort of raise). So I was taken for a loop because I thought we had been going along very well! I knew she wasn't finishing the housework this week and I wasn't making any issue. I also could have still had her 3 days this week, if I knew this before I really could have used her on Wednesday too but I didn't want to bother her! I just figured DH and I would save money on a day this week and since we spent so much to have her so I could go to Shul we were kind of relieved.

Well, I asked around - most people who have 5 day a week cleaning ladies do give paid vacation. But mine is only 3 days. I personally used to work in corporate america and when I was part time I did not get benefits or paid vacation. Any time I missed was out of my pocket.

Should I pay her for missing a day of work?

momoffive

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:28 pm
Here's my opinion - and that's all it is.

Obviously, you don't HAVE to pay her. But if she is competent, and working for you for a while, and reasonably pleasant and this is the first time such a situation (unanticipated family emergency necessitating absence) has come up, you might WANT to pay her for the sake of keeping her - and keeping her working happy - for the future. Just chalk it up to compassionate pay, offer your sincere condolences and consider it Shalom with an akum and a Kiddush haShem.

As to reevaluating her pay, I think they are two separate considerations.

As for corporate America, I am aware of one company that pro-rates part-timers.

Whatever you decide, may you always have competent help in abundance!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:04 pm
I am the OP. I came back because I have more to discuss.

Well, first, as far as part timers getting paid vacation, I worked for over 5 years for large companies in Manhattan and never got paid when I didn't work (as a part time worker). In fact, I was considered "part time" at one job and worked 5 days a week and almost 40 hours a week. I was part time because I was hourly. I was there for over a year and still if I didn't show up one day, I missed a day of pay. That is what I know. But that is a separate issue now.

Anyway, apparently my cleaning lady got on the train Thursday and saw my moms cleaning lady. Mine was crying hysterically. She told my moms cleaning lady that she felt I didn't compensate her properly for the weekend. Here was how many hours she worked:
On Shabbos she worked 10-5. From 10-2 she was with my baby and from 2-5 she helped my moms cleaning lady clean up from lunch.
On Sunday she worked 10-1:15.
Normally she works 9:15-4:30 and I pay 75 dollars a day.
For the weekend I gave her 200 (which included helping out by my mom too). For some reason she told my moms cleaning lady she feels I owe her another 25 but we don't know where she pulled that number from. However you break it down I think I was generous. Either she made 150 for Shabbos and 50 for 3 hours Sunday or 100 for each day....isn't that fair? I thought I was being fair. I thought I was being good to her and she would be so pleased.

Now that I hear she was crying and after what she said when she was leaving on Thursday, I am not sure we are on the same page and that I should have her back. She is supposed to come in and help with the baby on Yom Kippur but I feel like I can do it. myself I don't want someone bitter to be watching the baby....
What is everyones take?

ChutzPAh

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:18 pm
I think the weekend pay was generous. I would keep her for YK because you might need help with your baby (even if you stay home) and then try to find someone else and get rid of her. You don't want someone who feels you are taking advantage of them and bitter working for you.

sarahla

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:27 pm
OP I think you paid her very well... 2-5 to clean up lunch with the help of another house keeper...unless you had 200 pp it shouldn't have take that long!!!!!!!

anyways she knows you need her and she tryingt o get more out of you... if she's not happy then she could leave- thats my theory ...and you'll find someone else...dont show her that you need her...she needs you more than you need her...trust me there are lot of pp who are looking for a job now-a-days.

I would tell her honestly that you think you're being fair and if she's not happy she is free to go..simple, polite but firm!!!

im amazed at her choutzpa to ask you to pay her for a day she didn't work!!!!! seriously its ridiculous!!!!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:30 pm
Thank you for validating the weekend pay. I also thought it was fair - and generous.
Here is the thing:
She is upset about the weekend pay.
She wants me to pay her for the day off on Friday.
She wants a raise.

It seems like she is quite after money (and DH and I are a young married couple just starting off!)
I think after hearing she was crying on the train on Thursday her attitude come Monday morning is just not going to be good. I don't want to have to worry about her and how she will be with my baby on Yom Kippur of all days. I was planning to stay home all day and daven from home for a different reason. I think I can manage my baby, daven and get through the day without her. It won't be easy but the alternative of having her in my house watching my baby seems like it may be worse.

melalyse

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:34 pm
I work part time - per hour. I work 3 days a week and I only get paid the hours that I work.
My baby sitter works per hour for the 3 days that I hire her for. If she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid. If I use her more, I pay her more. Totally based on per hour.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 10:26 pm
That is how I understand a part time worker to be.
Except in my situation I pay per day.

greenfire

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:04 pm
I think the amount of money you paid was fine ... could be she is just emotional about the funeral ... or using it as an excuse for more monies ... either way you should talk to her about it before she comes on monday - this way you can feel more comfortable in your decision ...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 8:59 am
Yea I have to call her today and I think I will just tell her that it appears we are on different pages when it comes to money and perhaps it's best if we part ways so that nobody ends up bitter.
She has some stuff here (clothes, an umbrella)....I am thinking I will either send it with the person who recommended her to me (they live near each other) or mail it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 11:30 am
so you've come to a conclusion ??? I think first you need to communicate with her and see where it takes the two of you ... then determine whether or not you still want to let her go ...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:55 pm
Yea Greenfire you are correct. Now I dont know if I should call her or let her come in tomorrow. Thing is if she comes in I will have to talk to her about this on Yom Kippur - it seems wrong. If I call her today I guess we would know where we each stand.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 5:17 pm
that would be the point ... clearing it up BEFORE yom kippur ... so you know whether or not you want her watching your baby ...

you should NOT have this discussion tomorrow ...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 10:21 pm
Ok so I called her yesterday. I spoke more than this but in short I explained that in my experience part timers don't get paid for days off and whenever we have had to change a day she works we've always made it up and that at this point, DH and I feel the salary is fair and we can't do any more.
She said fine....she said she feels she is flexible to come in when I need her even if it's not on a day she usually works and that we said I would re-evaluate her salary and we didn't but if we can't do more we can't do more.
I told her I was concerned she may now feel bitter and she said no, she won't, and she loves my baby and would never take anything out on the baby.
So I said ok and see you tomorrow. She came in with a very "blah" attitude though. She wasn't friendly or so nice to me. She was fine with my baby - that was all she could do today was help me with the baby - and I let her leave early since the baby was napping. Around the time she was going to leave I went to the bathroom and when I came out she had left w/o even saying good bye to me.
I guess I will see how she is next time but I am not so happy with how today went.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:45 am
I'm really sorry to keep coming back and posting on this topic but I am having issues!!! I dont trust this woman anymore to be in my house w/o me here so now when she is here I feel stuck at home when I need to go out and do things. Her sttitude today so far isnt terrible I just lost all my trust and like for her after what happened last week and I dont really want her in my house anymore. I guess I have to let her go at the end of the day. I hate to do this, but it's such a weight on me making me so upset.

Nicole

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 10:35 am
HUGS. I have issues like this with my babysitter. I have chosen to keep her thus far bec the plusses (I think) outway the minuses. But I've been telling myself, and it's true. NOBODY is irreplacable. You'll find someone else. You don't have to grovel at her feet and you don't have to use her if you don't feel safe.

Annie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 11:35 am
here's how I always worked it with my babysitters or cleaning ladies . . .

If it was a day when *I* told them not to come - yom tov, or I didn't need them, then I paid them for the time. I also usually give a paid day off around their holidays. If they can't or don't come on a given day when they are supposed to work, then they don't get paid. If I go out of town for a week, and she doesn't work b/c of it, that's "expected work" on her part that I took away, so I pay for that.

Even part time people get paid "time and a half" for weekends or holidays.

It does seem like you have other issues here, so I won't go into to details with what seems like a done decision on your part.

Nomad

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 2:49 pm
the fact that she came in "bleh" and with a bad attitude is reason to let her go. say goodbye and thats it.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 5:16 am
Quote:
It seems like she is quite after money (and DH and I are a young married couple just starting off!)
I think after hearing she was crying on the train on Thursday her attitude come Monday morning is just not going to be good. I don't want to have to worry about her and how she will be with my baby on Yom Kippur of all days.

This is the part I love the best in this thread. You hear that your employee is crying hysterically on the train because of something you did and THEN you start thinking that her "attitude" is not going to be so good next week. All in the week before Yom Kippur.

If I was your parent, I'd want my yeshiva tuition refunded just for that.

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:20 am
Nomad wrote:
the fact that she came in "bleh" and with a bad attitude is reason to let her go. say goodbye and thats it.

Are you serious?? Her brother in law just died! Of course she's "bleh"!

Apparently the decision has already been made... but still, I hope in general a worker would be given a bit more slack in case of a family tragedy. I mean, she came in to work while her brother-in-law hadn't yet been buried!... then she got a little upset on that day (you know, less than a week after her BIL had died, one day before the funeral) and that's cause to think of firing her??

If she agreed to work at such a time it seems she really does need the money for whatever reason. Of course she's "after money" - this is her job. What, you thought she was cleaning your house for the fun of it? If you can't pay more, just say, "sorry, we appreciate your work but we aren't ready to pay more right now," end of story.

ETA - and YOU told HER that you would discuss her salary after half a year - so why on earth were you getting worried about her "bad attitude" when she asked about a raise after 7 months? It was your idea! Did you really think you could tell an employee that you'd talk about a raise after a certain amount of time, and she wouldn't be hoping for a raise after that amount of time (and wouldn't be at least a little disappointed if the answer was "no")?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry