Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sores on tongue

leahj

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 4:04 pm
Has anyone's child ever had this. My son first gets a rash like patch on his tongue which he then itches with his teeth. He says his tongue itches. the itching then removes several layers from his tongue till it becomes a large open patch. it is very painful. he is on codeine at night and still wakes up screaming that it hurts. He has had 4 episodes of this in the past two months. He never had anything like this before. we have an appointment with an infectious disease dr and rhumatologist, and are waiting to hear back regarding blood tests, but in the meantime.... he is in pain. I feel so bad that I can't help him! Any ideas?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 5:27 pm
could it be food allergies?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 5:29 pm
would medicine for cold sores help? it would numb the pain.

or ice cubes?

ektsm

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 6:03 pm
ask yoru doctor what you can do for now

leahj

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 3:30 am
At first I though allergies, but he has barely eaten anything since Erev Pesach. He is on Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours during the day, to some relief, but he is still in some pain. Got an earlier appt with the infectious disease dr. - it is now on wednesday. Next we go to rhumatology, and if all else fails I have the name of a homeopath.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 4:33 am
I don't know what specifically is causing it, but a trip to a rheumatologist sounds appropriate. In the meantime, the ped. can prescribe topical lidocaine gel, which is safe to be given orally.

withhumor

Post Fri, Sep 22 2006, 4:41 pm
You can smear mylanta on it to cool it off. or let him suck on a tums.

faigie

Post Fri, Sep 22 2006, 5:19 pm
sounds like thrush

rochelleah

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 1:23 pm
my son had asthma and had to take steroid related meds after he developed something that sounds very similar. the dentist actually gave him a paste of some kind that provided more releif than what youre giving him now but it tasted wird and was annoying to put on. then I had a new ped. who told him to use gentian violet it is over the counter, purple liquid workeed like a acharm. it stains clothing and might be a little cospicuous it is many times used with "foot and mouth disease". my dr. described as a sort of ulcer on tongue. first its like a pimple then it itches like crazy so kids rub their tongue on their teeth which actually opens the sore and allows bacteria to enter which in turn becomes painful but you cant stop the circle. my son is older so it gort beter but still occutrs.(bananas, kiwi,marinara sauce all trigger in his case) violet is easy toget at the pharmacy try it meanwhile no harm no foul let me know what happens im curious if there is a diag. have never gotten satisfying outcome. good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics