Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did you have a theme at your sons upsherin
1  2  3  Next

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 10:55 pm
my sons upsherin is soon, and I am starting to think of themes. is it innaporpriate to incorporate a mundane theme at this special time? My son loves trucks. I can make a really cute truck theme party, but still have the torah thing and other "jewish" stuff in it too? I see it as yes its an upsherin, but its also just another birthday party.?

any suggestions

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:01 pm
I personally would want to make it more than 'just another b-day party'.
To me it's a big day, where a child gets to put on tzitzis , yarmulka, and starts learning aleph bais. Not sure if I would do a theme like that. That's just my personal opinion..

Crayon210

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:04 pm
Maybe you can incorporate trucks with a Torah theme--like load up on mitzvos or something...?

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:16 pm
thats cute crayon!! like have a dump truck as a centerpiece with yarmulkas and torahs inside of it or something?!

thanks for that

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:26 pm
YEah the upsherin itself?!

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 11:34 pm
yes, but the only tihng going on is the first speech by whoever, then a word from the father or grandfather, then the cutting starts and everyone digs in, it gets kind of borring.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:20 am
I had beutiful centerpieces made with sizzors, yarmulkas, and tzitzit. They had ballons and my son's name on it they were great. The person I used was great she can do anything you want and was full of ideas.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:23 am
crayon thats such a nice idea!
thank you for the inspiration.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:27 am
No.......we didn't really have a party, we had no one to come and a newborn besides.

But you enjoy yourself! Mazel Tov!

shayna82

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:31 am
what do you mean no one to come?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:51 pm
Try Breindy from Monkey Business, she is a party planner who does beautiful work and is full of great ideas. reasonably priced and great to work with. Her number is 718-251-4416. I used her and was glad I did. Took all the headache out of the planning.

shayna82

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:51 pm
I dont live in ny (thank g-d) no offense, but thanks anyway!!!

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:53 pm
I used her for a simcha (not upshernish) too, I agree she was great.

Mishie

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:59 pm
I say: Why not???

There's NOTHING wrong with having a theme at an upsherin!!!
The kids will love it!!!
And - you'll have alot of fun planning and preparing it!

I'm looking forward to hearing more ideas for themes (on this thread), as my son's Upsherin is also coming up very soon. (right before Shavuos).

Mazal Tov!!

8)

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 5:08 pm
for my sons upshernish, I want to have a crafts for the kids that come( maybe something from kosher crafts). we are doing it in the afternoon.

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 10:55 am
ektsm wrote:
YEah the upsherin itself?!

uh huh, I thought the upsheren was the theme! Confused

party planner? and it doesn't sound like you're joking either Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 1:19 pm
No not joking about the party planner. She designed and made the decorations that I needed. All the balloons too. I had it catered in a shul. All I had to do was show up and everything was done. The caterer took care of the food and the party planner took care of the room. It took a lot of pressure off of me. If you are having a few people and are doing it at home is one thing. I had over 75 people there with lots of kids too. I was not cooking for that size of a crowd.

shayna82

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 1:42 pm
motek, its not nice to pick fun. just because you never made a big bash, you shoulnt shun others by your rolling eye face.

theres nothing wrong with having a party planner, or a theme for that matter.

realeez

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 2:18 pm
Shayna, it's your party and your son who you raised to this wonderful age and you can do whatever you want! Last year I was at an upsherin with a truck theme and centerpieces with them. It was really cute. I like the loading up on mitzvos idea, too.
For my ds' I had a had well over 100 ppl (didn't realize how many ppl I know!) and it was a lot of work. I "just" did desserts and did all the baking myself over a few weeks. If you need ideas or want to see pics, let me know.
I didn't have a party planner but I had a waitress who cut up fruits before, took coats and boots (it was snowing!) and threw out plates/cups/garbage thru-out. After, she took all the food off the platters and put them in containers and washed the platters.
It was worth every penny!
We are at it again in a couple of months - my boys are 16 months apart!

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 9:47 pm
shayna82 wrote:
motek, its not nice to pick fun. just because you never made a big bash, you shoulnt shun others by your rolling eye face.

You wouldn't know if I made a big bash or not, though you can assume, from my reaction, that I find a theme for an upsherinish a bit silly. Did you have a theme for your wedding? What is the purpose of a theme at a religious event other than the event itself?

Quote:
theres nothing wrong with having a party planner, or a theme for that matter.

If a shliach is making a public event in order to teach his mekuravim about Jewish milestones, then a party planner, if they can afford it, is fine. For anybody else? How do you justify the expenditure of money on the planner and on such a big event that you feel you need a planner?

Is it another opportunity to cash in? get gifts? so soon after the baby gifts?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics