Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Old Textbooks

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 8:32 am
We have almost all of dh's textbooks from college--(approximately 10 year old) mostly business subjects. He is in complete agreement with me that we don't need to store them in a box in our home any longer. I had them listed on ebay for a while and sold maybe 2 or 3. That was a couple of months ago...
Before I dump them, I was wondering if anyone knows someplace that would take them--like any bookstores that take old textbooks...
Most are in good condition--all are used and all are at least 10-15 years old!
Again, I am willing to dump them--I just wanted to see if anyone else can use them first (I'm not even looking for money.)

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 8:40 am
Would you believe that this sick pack rat still has textbooks from college 1980?
Anyone need a textbook on Assembler language? (Gosh, most of you probably don't even know what that is...)

manhattanmom

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 8:44 am
If we had a separate "office" or a basement or someplace to keep these books, I wouldn't be posting because we'd be keeping them (for no reason, really....) So I guess those of us in small apartments are lucky!
We also have the issue of "Why could I keep mine?" But my books stay because in college I sold back my books at the end of every semester so the only books I have now are my grad. school books which I'm currently using and which I will keep because they are the best reference books I'll need when I begin working.

risa

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:53 pm
all that stuff is completely outdated. college textbooks are updated regularly. it may be sentimental but definitely not useful. recycle bin.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:42 pm
risa wrote:
all that stuff is completely outdated. college textbooks are updated regularly. it may be sentimental but definitely not useful. recycle bin.

We've done that. I didn't want to keep them. I just wanted to see if someone else could use them before I dump them. Nobody could. So they've been dumped a few weeks ago.

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:43 pm
CUNY libraries may want them....

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:44 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
CUNY libraries may want them....

Read my above post.
It's too late!

louche

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 10:32 am
Old textbooks have zero, that's zero, consumer value unless you're talking a genuine hornbook from 1647 or mint-condition Duffy's reader from 1889. Doesn't matter if they cost $750 a pop new, they are now so much papier-mache. Do yourself a favor and roll them into fireplace logs, shred them for kitty litter or packing material, give them to the kiddies to make paper dolls, or wallpaper your bathroom so people can improve their minds as they sit on the throne.

CUNY libraries, or any other libraries, DO NOT WANT outdated textbooks as they are of no value to the students.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 1:34 pm
And again.
I already did that, louche.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics