Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need tips- moving with a newborn

amother

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 7:28 pm
Has anyone done a move with a newborn. I'm talking 3-4 week old. looking for any tips. DH and I thought of some things:
even though we're not mving out til the end of a month, renting the new place for the whole month so we'll basically have 2 apts and can move a little more slowly
Also my mother is probably coming after the baby. Should I ask her to hold off a week or so so it's closer to the move and she can help occupy the kids or pack a pile that I set out for her?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 8:14 pm
pack all that you can before the baby is born. unpacking is fairly easy with a newborn. unpack while s/he sleeps. if your husband is taking paternity leave, that'll help.

moving with a newborn is not an easy task, but you'll survive it. I haven't moved with a newborn, but I moved twice while in my ninth month. so I had to set up the new place with a newborn. try to rest as much as you can, and set up a schedule now. if everything goes according to plan, you should be fine.

Amital

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 1:06 pm
Get a good sling or carrier! I just did this, and being able to have my hands is amazingly helpful. Also, having your mother around to help is useful because there are always things you want to do but may not have the hands for at that minute. So you can ask her to unpack all of the dishes and set them here while you feed the baby, or to help break down boxes while you do this...

Remember to take care of yourself--moving is stressful, a newborn is stressful, and both together is more than double the stress!

cdawnr

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:19 pm
Amital wrote:
Remember to take care of yourself--moving is stressful, a newborn is stressful, and both together is more than double the stress!

VERY TRUE~and you don't even realize the stress as it piles up. I moved apartments in the same town when my first was 3 weeks old and moved from NJ to Canada when my #3 was 5 weeks old. In that case we had mmovers who packed us. I was very blessed as they were both exceptionally easy newborns who slept a lot. Please Hashem you should have the same bracha.

shayna82

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:27 pm
We moved into our current house when my son was a month old. I didnt do much, my husband and his brother took a few days and moved everything over. is there someone you can pay to help, family member?
p.s- much easier with one kid, then with four to move-- iyh, soon we are moving too.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:40 pm
shayna82 wrote:
We moved into our current house when my son was a month old. I didnt do much, my husband and his brother took a few days and moved everything over. is there someone you can pay to help, family member?
p.s- much easier with one kid, then with four to move-- iyh, soon we are moving too.

I actually do have other kids (#1 will be around 4 and #2 almost 2) but they're out of the house during the day

shabri

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 2:46 pm
I moved when DD1 was only 5 weeks. It wasn't so bad but DH was off and we got some guys to help us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating