Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help me figure out what to wear to cover my figure flaws!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 10:06 pm
I need to get a nice outfit to wear to a family simcha. My body has changed a lot since baby number XX (not 20! I mean just blank-blank). I have always been big (very) on top but I am enormous (size 34H). I'm 5 foot 2. I used to be more proportional and cute but now I have about 20 pounds to lose, and I feel fat. I have a stomach (looks like I'm still 5 months pregnant). My hips aren't bad, and my legs are gorgeous (BH something still is).

OK, so I am Curvy with a capital C. But I don't want to look it! But then again, I can't just cover over all my flaws with some flowy thing because then I just look round and shapeless.

Please give me suggestions for tznius, tasteful types of outfits that would flatter my current figure situation... Oh and I only wear skirts that are at least mid-calf length. And I'm about 40 years old so I will not dress super trendy but want to look stylish and nice!

If you can post links/pics of style ideas or specific clothing items that would be especially wonderful!

louche

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 6:52 am
Sounds like a sheath dress is what you need. Slightly fitted, body-skimming but not body-hugging. A style with a dark bodice or a dark bolero jacket will minimize the bust. Better yet, a long open-front vest (think Bea Arthur in Maude), especially if it contrasts with the dress underneath, will draw the eye in a vertical line and create a slimmer illusion.

Frankly, midcalf is not a good look for anyone except women who walk on shapeless toothpicks. Anyone whose legs actually have a shape should consider going an inch or two shorter so the eye sees that the leg is starting to taper inward. To make sure the dress still covers your knees while sitting, get a style with fullness at the bottom in the form of pleats or a flaring hemline.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q.....gl=us

Scroll down to Sheath, also Shift

see also http://www.jserraino.com/shoppingadvice.asp. click on curvy, short, and the other descriptions that apply.

gefilte fish

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:36 am
It's sounds to me like you need to go tight on the bottom (like a pencil skirt) and flowy on the top. the top could be long enough to cover the tight part of the skirt (ie: your hips and bottom)

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/imag.....89_BA
http://perfectsilhouette.com/I.....t.jpg

good luck!

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:37 am
V neck! With a shirt under. Wear a V neck. Wrap around dresses compliment curvy gals, especially those of us who have bigger busts. I personally don't find sheaths to work for me bust-wise.
Empire waist with a v-neck will definitely work. Just make sure to look for empire waists that don't curve around your belly, as that can just make you look preg. However, if it just goes flat down it will look amazing. Also, if you end up wearing a skirt and shirt, consider wearing a lighter color for the skirt and dark shirt. It will balance you out.
Good luck!

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:41 am
An example of what I mean (non-tzanua and not exactly what I was talking about, but you'll get the idea):

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/.....07380

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:42 am
great dress with a sleeveless/short sleeved top under!

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:44 am
gefilte fish wrote:
It's sounds to me like you need to go tight on the bottom (like a pencil skirt) and flowy on the top. the top could be long enough to cover the tight part of the skirt (ie: your hips and bottom)

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/imag.....89_BA
http://perfectsilhouette.com/I.....t.jpg

good luck!

This can work sometimes but I'm not sure it will for the OP. Sorry, but that will emphasize her bust and make her hips look smaller. It will make her look disproportionate and top-heavy. I know it's counter-intuitive, but bigger around the hips and tighter around the bust, highlighting the waist if if looks good, will work much better.

Mommy F.

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:52 am
This is also a V neck dress and would be a little fancier for a simcha.
http://www.gillysofburnhammark.....s.jpg

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 8:58 am
Wrap around dresses minimize the bust area.
You might want to go with dark on top and light on bottom--to give the illusion of proportion--if you're going with a two piece or two tone dress.
In general, knee length is much more flattering than mid-calf, but if you can't do that for tzniut reasons, wear high heels which will elongate your legs.
Wearing a skirt with an interesting hemline or flaring hem will also help balance the proportion, because the eye will be drawn to the skirt.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 7:41 pm
OP here! I'm so excited to see suggestions and discussion here - it is already helping me, so thank you all. I want more ideas too, please!

Now I'll respond - and also complicate things a bit - so bear with me.

I'm nursing, so whatever I wear, I need to be able to nurse in it (so, 2 pieces or an actual nursing dress). I think I might be able to find a wrap dress from a nursing clothes website - so that's an idea! I like the idea of a diagonal that confuses everyone so they won't notice what shape I actually am. LOL

Also, about skirt length - yes, I would go a bit shorter, but not approaching too close to knee length. I have a few skirts with flared bottoms and those are indeed flattering on me. I have, as I said, gorgeous legs 8) , very slim but not shapeless toothpicks!

And finally, about shoes - About a 2 inch heel is about as high as I can go, and I probably will have that height.

More ideas? I'm liking all your thoughts so far!! Thanks again for being my style consultants!

Peanut2

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 6:21 am
This sounds really great. Don't worry too much about the skirt length. Mid calf can look amazing if it really is mid calf. That is, it should stop at the widest part of your calf. It's an ideal length for everyone, really. Patterns are good in a dress. If you're wearing a skirt and a top do the patterns on the skirt and keep the top one color (I'm assuming black but it doesn't have to be.) It will draw attention from the bust and direct it to your lower half and your legs.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 8:33 am
Personally,, I think mid calf is really elegant. Shorter than that and you want to sit in that skirt the way you really sit to make sure you're covered. Disclaimer: I tend to wear longer, it's what's available in my size and budget.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 9:25 pm
OP here - OK, what do y'all think of this dress for me?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 9:25 pm
rats - I'll try again in a minute...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 20 2009, 9:28 pm

This is a nursing dress from Motherwear. I would have a panel added at the top for tznius.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 12:41 am
feedback please! Very Happy

smilethere

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 5:39 am
I am not your size and age, but only after baby 2. I am very very curvy - small waist, 32 G bust and narrow hips, with a big behind sticking out. That means S shaped. Extremely. I understand it is meant to be s-xy but it still makes it difficult to buy clothes.

For casual wear I have developed a style of small size skirts and soft shorter tops - I buy large large sizes which are loose around my waist, but fit across my bust, it actually makes me look neat and slimmer, but I have to try on 350 tops till I find anything that looks good. I actually bought 3 XL sweaters from tommy hilfiger that looked really neat on me!

For a dress - buy something that is low waisted - high or mid waist will make you look ridiculous. V necks or wrap over style dresses that flatter you.

Good luck.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 22 2009, 6:05 am
About the pic- I would prefer something a bit more structured, but it's a matter of taste and truth is I don't know what you look like or how the dress would look on you. I would recommend shortening the dress a little bit so that it hits you exactly mid-calf, and not below your calf. Overall it looks nice. I think it could be a good choice, but it really depends on how it looks on you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics