Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent disaster
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 8:12 pm
so I'm not one to usually make cholent - I might have an aversion to it since my last pregnancy the smell kept me up all night and ruined my morning coffee ... Puke

but when my sister was here for yom tov she made a cholent - which got me in the mood to make my own ...

so this week I buy all the essential ingredients, spice it up a bit ... only to find out in the am that it was stone cold ... I think even the crock pot was shocked that I was making a cholent and decided to rebel ...

sonny boy was coming over to honour the once a year cholent ... his comment was - "ya know someone who makes a cholent every week would not be as disappointed as us" ... so to our disappointment we ate cold leftovers from last night ...

I was angry at Hashem all day over the cholent disaster Exploding anger

kaye

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 8:29 pm
Don't feel to bad. I made cholent even plugged it in but somehow forgot to put in water! Not only did I not have cholent but I think my crockpot is ruined Smile

Flowerpot

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 8:36 pm
Oy ((((HUGS)))) I hope u get over it fast.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 8:50 pm
Gee! At least it didn't go bad! Cold cholent is a damper for any spirits!

Blue jay

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 9:01 pm
I too suffer from cholent disfunctional disorder (CDD). My cholent always comes out burned and with this really acidity taste... I stick to the old reliable chicken cutlet. DOnt worry greenfire Im sure your leftovers were still good!

Reality

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 9:09 pm
Reminds me of the time when I was still living at home with my parents & cooked for Shabbos. Well I made the cholent all right & boiled it on the stove first but when I transfered the pot to the crock-pot holder I forgot to PLUG IT IN!!. Well we had a huge pot of spoiled food to throw out & not enough food to eat for the meal (large family & not so much leftover chicken). I felt AWFUL!!!! Luckily my parents & siblings saw I felt terrible & were nice about it.

Greenfire, Hug try again next week! It's not gonna happen 2 weeks in a row.

P.S. Ever since I'm like OCD checking to make sure the crock-pot is plugged in!!

greenfire

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 9:15 pm
my crock pot was plugged in & on ... the cholent was cold but also raw because of all times for my crock pot to die - it chose the shabbos I make cholent ...

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 10:08 pm
B'h
That is one of the many reasons that I stay far away from making Chulent, this way noone can blame me. Funny when my Husband makes it it's always fine. Could be my black thumb which gene Green u evidently share Twisted Evil

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 10:26 pm
LOL, something similar happened to us over the yom tovim. Somehow, before Shabbos, the fire on our stove went out under the blech, and we woke up in the morning missing that certain scent in the air. I took the cholent into the fridge right away, and I must say, it was excellent the following week!

shanie5

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 11:09 pm
I once had a chulent that cooked fine, but tasted awful. seems a spoon got left in it and cooked right along with the beans, potatoes and meat, but the flavor...............eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

anonymom

Post Sat, Oct 17 2009, 11:53 pm
imasinger wrote:
LOL, something similar happened to us over the yom tovim. Somehow, before Shabbos, the fire on our stove went out under the blech, and we woke up in the morning missing that certain scent in the air. I took the cholent into the fridge right away, and I must say, it was excellent the following week!

Are you serious? You kept it in the fridge for a week and then served it?

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 1:57 pm
anonymom wrote:
imasinger wrote:

Are you serious? You kept it in the fridge for a week and then served it?

Yes; we tend to be less squeamish about such things here, and I boiled it well before I put it on the blech the second week. It actually was a fine cholent.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 11:54 am
okay to continue the saga ... after freezing the cholent in separate baggies - meat, kishke, potatoes and barley, how do I reheat for shabbos ...not reheat I mean cook ...

please take note - I only took it out of the freezer this morning so it's frozen ...

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 12:47 pm
do I have to start another thread with an ASAP ?!?!?!?

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 1:33 pm
fine Crying I don't Crying need Crying your Help Crying anyways Crying Crying Crying

canadamom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 1:47 pm
if your crockpot is broken, why don't you leave your cholent in a pot on a blech? (did you freeze it raw? if yes start cooking now, if it's cooked then let it defrost, add water etc and cook.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 1:51 pm
canadamom wrote:
if your crockpot is broken, why don't you leave your cholent in a pot on a blech? (did you freeze it raw? if yes start cooking now, if it's cooked then let it defrost, add water etc and cook.

it's raw ... I have a soup pot ... do I put on the blech now or a low fire ... do I add more water than for a crock pot or leave it the same ...

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 4:32 pm
greenfire wrote:
canadamom wrote:

it's raw ... I have a soup pot ... do I put on the blech now or a low fire ... do I add more water than for a crock pot or leave it the same ...

More water than a crock.
Good idea to have a hot water urn on for Shabbos, or a kettle on the blech, in case you need to add boiling water on Shabbos.
You can put the blech up now if you prefer, and start cooking it on the blech.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 6:22 pm
okay so here's the scoop ... I started it on low ... first I tried to thaw out the meat with a little luke warm water surrounding it's baggie ... then I put the flame higher as it defrosted ... guess what we're eating tonight ... add a salt & pepper kugel, and some beer ... Drunken Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 5:15 pm
greenfire wrote:
canadamom wrote:

I also cover the pot with a piece of foil underneath the lid to prevent liquid evaporating.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus