Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Big babies
1  2  3  4  Next

Rivk

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 9:29 pm
I'm wondering if anybody has a solution. My first son started out at 9 pounds and continued growing at an amazing rate until nine months when he stopped for a long while - remained 25 pounds. Besides for being a major strain on my back, now my second son has the same situation and is about to grow out of his infant car seat carrier at four months! How am I supposed to shop with him? If I am making a large shopping trip I need a cart and he doesn't sit up yet!

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 9:47 pm
wow!!!

what you can do is bundle the baby up & lie him on the bottom/ inside of the cart
shopping will hopefully fit around

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 11:02 pm
Surprised And I have the opposite prob some of my kids were tiny as babies but now my 15yr old is taller then me and I'm tall, my other son my preemie is almost as tall as me. But as babies they were tiny!
Not much help but just awed at how some mothers can have whoppers and some like me have peas in a pod! LOL

zuncompany

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 11:50 pm
I tend to have the opposite prob- my kids are tall and skinny. Both boys were out of the infant carrier by 5 months cause they were to tall. I carry the baby in my baby bjorn at the store and when we go out.

Sara

Rivk

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 8:31 pm
My baby is too chunky for the baby bjorn! I wish I could still use it but it is very tight on him! Is it safe to lay a baby down in the cart without seatbelts or anything? I guess that's what they used to do in the "olden days" before baby carriers.
Another thing - it really bothers me when people talk about his size/ weight as if he has a problem. They're like "what are you feeding him?!" I'm strictly breastfeeding. B"H he is a happy, healthy, thriving baby.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 8:48 pm
they should keep their noses out of your life.

tell them
"this is how G-d gave him to me, !!!"

or when asked how old answer:
"isn't he cute!" & move on

yehudis

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 8:58 pm
Have you tried slings? The Maya Wrap is nice.

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 9:21 pm
Rivk, Aren't people fuuny, cuz what would I do for my little one to gain weight-- he is 20 pounds at 19 months old...I get the comments : "oh he's so skinny",or "hes 19 months, really???"

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 11:47 pm
My babies are also on the large size too. My older son was 22 lbs by 8 months. My younger son is also a pretty big baby too. hes almost 7 months and I can hardly get him in the baby bjorn either and if I did I would have such bad back problems from shleping him around. Also my babies are strictly breastfed too. I love my chubby babies. With my first he was considered a failure to thrive and my ped told me I didn't have enough milk. B"H I went to a lactation consultant and learned how to breastfeed. So I love it when people tell me my babies are chubby. When it comes to shopping, I just really try hard to never do it with both of them. Also since I live in Crown Heights I can get my groceries and pharmacy supplys delivered but at a hefty price.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 1:26 am
You can also use a backpack carrier once they can sit up. We love ourse!

Sara

curlyhead

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 4:27 am
if your stroller has a large basket use that to shop. I have an emalunga which has a large basket. I always make sure to take at least one of my kids just so I have my emulunga to put my groceries in.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 3:24 pm
I also have a big baby - he was 18 lbs at his last dr's visit, about a month ago (he's 6 months old now).
I originally got the baby carrier to go shopping with him, but once he gets too heavy....
My baby is too tall for the infant carrier, but I used it last week anyhow, fitting it into the front of the shopping cart. If your baby still "fits" in it, just not good for the CAR legally, you can still use it for shopping.
But let me know if you come up with a better solution..... (besides for faxing in orders!)

proudmom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 3:48 pm
I also BH have a big baby. She is 8 months old and 23 pounds. She doesnt fit in the infant car seat either. She is too big for the infant car seat. I put her in a toddler seat.

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 3:52 pm
oh my..- proudmom, Mendel weighs only a little more than your 8 month old???
(Mendels very slender.)

proudmom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 4:07 pm
my 8 month old is fat and puggy.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 4:09 pm
Proudmom no kidding. Very Happy Wish mine was even that close......... atchually then how would I be able to carry them both around at the same time so no, I think I am happy the weight they are Smile

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 12:16 am
At his appointment on Fri, my 6 1/2 month old weighed almost 20 pounds!
The PA said he's the size of the average 1-year-old! He's tall, too, though, so he's not too pudgy!

But back to the topic about shopping...I saw an ad for a HIP CARRIER that's supposed to be good for babies 15-35 pounds. Think it's comfortable for shopping?

Rivk

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 7:52 am
Hmmm. The hip carrier sounds interesting. We're going for his four month check up this week. I'll keep you posted!

Didi

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 2:18 pm
my 16 month old and 3 1/2 yr old both weigh he same 25lb.......go figure the younger one is a boy, the older is a girl

avigayil

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 7:34 pm
Rivk,

Could you arrange a schedule where your husband is home with the kids while you shop? I do this sometime. B'H", my son is almost 9 months and about 22 pounds. So I arrnage once a week that I go shopping while my husband stays home with him for an hour or so.
Just try nursing him before you leave.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics