Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Big babies
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Rivk

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 12:42 pm
But what about breastmilk from a baby's own mother or someone else's?

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 2:02 pm
any1 has tried giving their baby someone else's breast milk?!? shock

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 2:24 pm
Quote:
do u think a baby, thats been nursing for a while, could tell, out of 2 bottles, which one was its mothers milk?

we were talking about breast milk so I thought my question was clear. I was not refering to formula I ment b/t their mothers breast milk and other breast milk.

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 2:51 pm
Quote:
any1 has tried giving their baby someone else's breast milk?!?

B'H I have not had to. I have heard of breast milk gemachs. if CV'S I couldnt nurse I would rather give breast milk then formula. the only prob is I would have to know who the milk came from (ok if from family or really close friend) and what their diet was. as I quoted before, depending on diet, mothers milk is not always best.

Rivk

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:27 pm
There are breast milk banks in hospitals. The milk is sterilized first, though.

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:30 pm
what vitamins and nutrients are killed by the sterlization process?!?

Rivk

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:32 pm
Yes - some vitamins and minerals are lost. As they are when milk is frozen. But it still is better than formula.

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:35 pm
true-as long as its high quality breastmilk! speaking of which, I better go make my protien vitamin shake LOL

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:36 pm
deedee wrote:
Quote:
does it really? so if I eat fattening food, my baby can get fat??

"Because quality depends on the mother's diet, breast milk is not always superior to a well-planned formula. For ex., studies show that when nursing mothers are on an extremely low proiein diet, the growth of their infants is stunted and their brains damaged.
The higher the mother's intake of protein, unsaturated fats, and vitamins, the more of these nutrients found in breast milk."

Where did you get that from? I found this from www.askdrsears.com

Quote:
"I want to go on a diet while breastfeeding my baby. Is this safe? I don't want to deprive my baby of nutrients."
It is generally felt that going on a major diet during breastfeeding can decrease the amount of much-needed fats in your breast milk. Babies' brains need a lot of good, healthy fats to grow and develop for the first two years of life.

You can diet, but do so responsibly. Cut out as much bad fat as you want, but make sure your diet has plenty of "good" fats. Read more in our section on fats
Do not worry about carbohydrates and protein while you diet. Your milk will have plenty no matter what you eat.

Dr. Bob

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:47 pm
'lets have healthy children' by adelle davis

Quote:
Do not worry about carbohydrates and protein while you diet. Your milk will have plenty no matter what you eat
sure it will but where so u think your body will take it from if you are not ingesting enough for u and baby? from what your body has in reserve!
that is why its so impt for preg and nursing moms to take alot of calcium or else ur body takes it from your bones. making women more prone to ostioporosis (sp?).

Last edited by deedee on Thu, Mar 31 2005, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 4:10 pm
so will baby get enough protein if I don't eat enough protein?

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 4:47 pm
deedee wrote:
mothers milk is not always best.

oh really....even formula companies can't say that

A friend of mine told me that she saw studies that even women in starving countries had almost similar milk to women is 1st world countries.

I don't think breastmilk can ever be worse than formula unless medication is in the mothers milk.

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 5:12 pm
Quote:
will baby get enough protein if I don't eat enough protein?

"usually if nutrients are not supplied in the mothers diet they cannot be secreted in her milk. calcium and phosphorus are the excepitions b/c they can be obtained by the demineralization of her bones."

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 5:16 pm
Quote:
deedee wrote:
mothers milk is not always best.

oh really....even formula companies can't say that

"Because quality depends on the mother's diet, breast milk is not always superior to a well-planned formula. For ex., studies show that when nursing mothers are on an extremely low proiein diet, the growth of their infants is stunted and their brains damaged.
The higher the mother's intake of protein, unsaturated fats, and vitamins, the more of these nutrients found in breast milk."
this is s/t that I quoted from a book

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 5:58 pm
I once nurses my niece and she ate just fine..... Wink so I wonder if babies can tell a difference from their mother's milk...
but they definitely can tell from formula. my mother once tried to give my baby formula and he refused it.
back to somethign we discussed earlier...I got the hip hammock. it's relaaly good but not great for long walking if your baby is too heavy. but now my baby can sit in the shopping cart B"H!

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 7:46 pm
There have been studies showing that babies can recognize their mothers no matter what; I don't think that a baby wouldn't know the difference between milks! They might nurse just fine, but that doesn't mean they don't notice! (Formula tastes WAY different than breastmilk.)

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 7:55 pm
Quote:
(Formula tastes WAY different than breastmilk.)

speaking from experience? Wink

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:44 pm
There's a kind of strawberry soda that tastes like shampoo... everyone asks me that question when I say it... Very Happy

No, but taste is very dependent on smell- without it, a raw potato and an apple would taste exactly the same. And breastmilk and formula smell VERY different, and therefore TASTE very different!

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 9:42 pm
um im a little confused, apple and potato taste very diffrent but w/o smell they taste the same -right? now you said that formula and BM taste very diff but w/o smell they still taste diff?!?!? Confused

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 9:44 pm
well...ive actually tasted the stuff (BM). hey, I wanna know what my baby is eating taste like!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics