Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Worried while my baby sleeps
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:41 pm
Its really weird. My baby's been sleeping more, but Ive been sleeping less. When she sleeps longer than usual, I wake up and run in to see whats going on. Even before I go to sleep, after the baby's gone to sleep I keep going in to see if everything is ok. I'm scared she'll roll too close to the bumper and not be able to breathe or something chas v'shalom. Shes around 8 months old, able to roll over both ways, pretty much sit up..
How can I not worry so much, is this normal??
Help

~Distressed mom

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:57 pm
do you have a baby moniter? maybe that will put you at ease a litte.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:05 pm
oh yes! My baby is 8 months old too. Last night he slept from 8 pm to 6 am straight. I woke up at 6 am and ran in to check on him, nervous that he hadnt woken for a night feed. Of course that woke himup!!!

two things. First of all I keep a baby monitor next to my bed, and check it periodically to make sure he didnt ch'v get under his blanket etc.

secondly you can buy a breathable bumper at target. I use only the breathable bumper. good luck.

cindy324

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:49 pm
So when was the last time you actually slept? "cause if you're so worried now, what went on when he was a newborn, when the danger of something C''V happening was way higher? You gotta relax, 8 month olds already have the reflex to try and breath if something's blocking their nose, so even if he turns into the bumper, he'll turn away if he has a hard time breathing.

amother

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 12:44 am
You are not supposed to use bumpers in baby cots because they are dangerous and c"vs may contribute to cot death.

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 1:40 am
Can you bring a source for that?

amother

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 6:12 am
http://www.sidsandkids.org/home.html

MAKE UP YOUR BABY'S COT
TO HELP KEEP BABY'S HEAD UNCOVERED

Make sure your baby's head remains uncovered during sleep

Put your baby on the back to sleep

Tuck in your baby's bedclothes securely

Position your baby's feet at the bottom of the cot.

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 11:31 am
That doesn't list bumpers (does it on the website?).

shoy18

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 11:37 am
without a bumper my babies head would be against the crib because he sleeps in the corner, also his arms and legs would be hangng out of the crib, that certainly isnt safe

amother

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 11:39 am
cindy324 wrote:
So when was the last time you actually slept? "cause if you're so worried now, what went on when he was a newborn, when the danger of something C''V happening was way higher? You gotta relax, 8 month olds already have the reflex to try and breath if something's blocking their nose, so even if he turns into the bumper, he'll turn away if he has a hard time breathing.

this is the op. Cindy, when my baby was a newborn, she couldnt pull blankets over face etc., plus she woke up a lot more and was in my room so I heard everything.

Shoy, I think ur right- ill get a baby moniter

amother

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 11:40 am
Mindy wrote:
oh yes! My baby is 8 months old too. Last night he slept from 8 pm to 6 am straight. I woke up at 6 am and ran in to check on him, nervous that he hadnt woken for a night feed. Of course that woke himup!!!

two things. First of all I keep a baby monitor next to my bed, and check it periodically to make sure he didnt ch'v get under his blanket etc.

secondly you can buy a breathable bumper at target. I use only the breathable bumper. good luck.

op here: mindy, whats a breathable bumper- is that what they're called?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:37 pm
yes, on target if you search fo rbreathable bumper you'll find it. it comes with blue, pink, or green trim.

me

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:54 pm
There are also baby monitors that you can put under the mattress I think that if the baby doesn't move or s/t for a a certain amount of time, it alerts you. I don't think it's good for Shabbos, but maybe it'll put you at ease. Try One Step Ahead I think (they have a website, but I don't know what it is). It is normal to always check on your kids! My oldest is three and I still check on him too (he's a deep sleeper)! I always put a hand on them to make sure they are breathing (B"H always are). I have messed up the kids sleep so many times b/c of my paranoia, and now I have to tell myself to just stay in bed and let them sleep! The biggest risk for sids is up until 6 months (most is 2-4 months I think). Once the babies are able to move a drop - bumpers are not safe - except like Mindy said breathable ones (they have mesh). Good Luck!

amother

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 12:39 am
Quote:
That doesn't list bumpers (does it on the website?).

why don't you look on the website before posting a comment?

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:02 am
All that required was a simple "yes". <snort>

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:08 am
It's not an across-the-board opinion...

raizy

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 9:45 pm
everyone is worried when the baby sleeps too long. I am also worried when a babywho I babysit sleeps too long. I go and check on them and I have a baby moniter to ease my fears. I think that all part of being a "mama"

also I am too scared for the first 6 months to put my baby in his room so he sleeps right next to me in the crib but next to my bed.

amother

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 12:12 am
Crayon, is everything ok with you? You seem quite agitated in many different threads. Just some friendly concern.

Crayon210

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 12:41 am
I'm fine, BH, thanks for asking.

happy2beme

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 1:35 pm
if it was friendly concern I would think it would be in a pm not in 'public' Twisted Evil
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics