Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Please don't give your small children a rice cake as a meal
Previous  1  2  3

RedRuby

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:40 pm
Ashrei wrote:
Thanks for the tip about rice cakes! I tend to use them too much as a cruch, when she wants something right away and I just can't think of anything else to give her, or I have nothing else she'd like. Your post reminded me that I really shouldn't rely on them so much. Thanks for looking out (and for taking all the slack to get an important message across... I'm sure there are mothers who got a lot from your post who didn't post as much as others!)

Yes

Yup, I'm one who was happy to get this reminder. I never serve it as a meal, but as the mother of an underweight child, I want every calorie to count. So it was a good thing to be reminded of. Even snacks should be calorie rich if you're trying to get a baby to gain healthy weight.

Happy Mom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 1:50 am
Reality wrote:
That is some article! I've been reading Michael Pollans's books recently & it has really opened up my eyes about the industrialization of our food. I'm just not sure what the next step is for me.

Are you talking about The Omnivore's Dilemma? I procrastinated about reading it and didn't get around to it until several months ago - great book! I was aware of the industrialization of food issues, so nothing was new to me (except the concept of grass farmers, which I was fascinated by), but it was still very worth reading.

I think it doesn't matter exactly what step a person takes first. The danger is learning more is that a person gets overwhelmed and ends up not doing anything! All first steps are helpful, and they lead you to the second step. I'd suggest thinking about what the easiest issue to start with is, and make that your first step.

Happy Mom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 1:55 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Happy Mom,

Can you please explain how changes in molecular structure is harmful on the body in the case of puffed cereals? Are you saying it is harmful (in what ways?) or just reduces nutritional value? Unless you subscribe to a raw food movement, isn't most cooking--including home cooking--about changing molecular structure of food so it's tasty/easily absorbed etc?

Sorry, didn't see these comments until now. The puffing process actually causes it to become harmful and toxic, not just less nutritious. If you read the article I linked, it explained it. But I'll pull out a relevant quote - "Proteins are very similar to certain toxins in molecular structure, and the pressure of the puffing process may produce chemical changes, which turn a nutritious grain into a poisonous substance. "

Hope this clarifies somewhat!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics