Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
"womens retreat in monsey" thread
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 11:48 am
I wanted to put this in finance for two reasons
1. I didnt want to take away from the conversation or hijack the thread or make it digress.
2. I wanted to be able to be anonymous.

I am not criticizing. People can (and IMO should!) spend their hard earned money in whatever way their heart desires! that has always been my belief. as long as you earned it honestly and you give mayser, do what you wish.

But I am sincerely trying to just understand this concept. I am a person who loves to indulge in things that other people (often on imamother) consider massive luxuries. Including a few custom shaitels, regular manicures, and clothes that are not from the cheapest of stores.

Quote:
I Heard they reduced the price for one night and two days to $299.

in regard to the post I quoted (from that thread) I do sincerely believe, to each their own, but I am very shocked by the thread about this vacation weekend. I saw pictures of the hotel and it is far from a luxury hotel. and for 300 dollars, you can stay in like the ritz calton which is one of the nicest chains in the world! I am just trying to understand the draw. for 600 dollars, you can rent your own private beach villa for the weekend. what is there that makes it soo nice? being all inclusive and being able to enjoy on the same food you have at every other wedding? the social scene?
if someone who has gone or is planning could please explain it, I would really appreciate it. Again, I am not bashing it, I really just want to understand. because my mouth dropped when I saw the prices, and I am not the cheap type and I have spent that type of money on hotels in the past.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:00 pm
Does the Ritz Carlton Give you three 5 Star Kosher Meals?

Bleemee

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:08 pm
I recall from the ad that I have seen that they are catering the meals, providing speakers and entertainment-I am sure there's more- these things all cost money. (And I am sure a profit is to be gained, too.)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:11 pm
Sure they have to make money !

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:16 pm
Bleemee wrote:
I recall from the ad that I have seen that they are catering the meals, providing speakers and entertainment-I am sure there's more- these things all cost money. (And I am sure a profit is to be gained, too.)

OK fine to each their own. I am the OP. when I go away on vacation, I love finding the cool restaurants in the city-whether its a tiny deli, a bakery or whatever. catered hotel meals are still just wedding meals buffet style. Ive had enough of that stuff to last me a lifetime! I guess to each their own! Again, not bashing. Just posted this anon to get a sense of what on earth people are paying so much for!

and I definitely dont go on vacation to hear speakers, I go to not hear people speak, to sleep, to relax, to shop walk around and see the sites, sit at the pool etc. I guess that is why to me this just seemed like a massive price.

But I guess if each meal is say 30 dollars, a concert is 18 dollars, a speaker admission is 18 dollars
___
96 for extras, then the price I guess seems reasonable. but still seems alot for a not five star spa resort like penninsula, mandarin oriental, JW, ritz, etc.

Bleemee

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
then the price I guess seems reasonable.
but still seems alot for a not five star spa resort like penninsula, mandarin oriental, JW, ritz, etc.
You yourself just explained why it is reasonable although it's not in a luxury hotel.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:43 pm
a woman retreat? isn't that what Xtians do?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:47 pm
it's just a loshon. it doesn't mean anything.

some Retreats are held in the woods.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:53 pm
oh ok

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:12 pm
I would think the social aspect is the biggest draw, that and nice food. (not everyone gets invited to lots of fancy weddings btw)

sure, if your used to 5 star hotels and beach villas, maybe it's not for you.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:20 pm
I agree about being invited to fancy weddings, Raisin.

If I get invited to two weddings, fancy or not, for me it's a good year. It's not like people get married every day, and it's not like (here at least) they invite a ton of people.

Maya

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 2:48 pm
It's about one thing: every person has their own priorities on what's important to spend their money on. I'm sure that these women who are shelling out this money for a vacation with their friends will never understand how you can spend on manicures on a regular basis.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 3:02 pm
its not in monsey. it's in the ocean villa resort, which has spas, a waterfront, and other amenities.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 3:17 pm
And I am reading about labor couches today and thinking who in the right mind would spend $500 for one. Give me a two day vacation instead!
Everyone spends money on different things.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
And I am reading about labor couches today and thinking who in the right mind would spend $500 for one. Give me a two day vacation instead!

Haha. Op here. agree with you on that.

thanks ladies, for helping me put it in perspective. Mamabear, I know it has all those amenities. but as someone who has traveled alot, I can tell you from looking at the pictures online, it doesnt compare to other beachfront type hotels with spas. and you dont need to go to europe, or even miami to get to them. I mean within driving distance. but I guess the food and speeches are a draw. I would never want to go to a speech while on vacation which = brain freeze time for me. To each their own. again, I want bashing it I wasnted to understand. fine. thanks e/o

happyone

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 4:59 pm
Obviously there's a clientele that had a need for this type of vacation. Not everyone has the opportunity to go away with their husbands. People need to get away from stress, recharge for their children or just have fun. This is an organized kosher getaway, an opportunity to meet new people, and get pampered.
I, for one, have no interest in meeting new people, and organize my own getaways with my husband or friends when I feel the need to. However, not everyone has that opportunity. I think it's a great idea and obviously others feel the same way since it's become a yearly thing.

tzipp

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:08 pm
The Mandarin oriental is not $300 a night, or close. and no food etc.
Ppl go to events like that for the socializing and chizuk. For some, a little learning is a refreshing vacation from their busy lives...

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:03 pm
Okay op - here's my explanation:
I am going with my six closest friends IY"H. Why? Because we don't have time to be friends during the course of our daily lives. We keep on planning meets which never happen, we get together for short brunches and before you know we need to run, and so on. I had planned to invite 'the group' up to my bungalow for a coupla' days but then I got cold feet. I left the unit at the end of the summer in a 'kosher for passover' mode. I didn't feel like going there, shlepping food, using all bed linens, towels, and having a huge cleanup when the vacation would be over. When this opportunity arose - the women's retreat - we all jumped. Then some 'wise-guys' started balking and said, "Let's not go there when everybody else is there. Let's go the following week - just us friends - we'll take our own food, we don't need their program, etc." But another friend and I said that that will never happen and the hassle of making group arrangements for food, transportation, rooms, etc. will turn us off and it'll never happen. So, we made a go and out of a group of 8, only one cannot come!!
op, I don't know what city restaurants you are talking about. Where do you live? I know that as soon as we step out of our daled amas here, kashrus becomes a problem. At the retreat, the caterer has an impeccable reputation and it's not every day that women are wined and dined. When I go to a wedding, I am a pressure cooker until I get there and I am tied to a clock. How does that compare to the carefree setting of schoolhood friends sitting together for 2 days and just having a blast?
This, of course, does not replace a vacation with a husband. For me, it wasn't possible at this point because of child care.

First Lady

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:

Just goes to show how everyone must know where their priorities are and what will work for them.
I'm a good example for your example above. I don't take epidural (had bad side effects from it)so I feel the need for help via a labor coach to get through labor more easily.
So for you it's something you can't understand, while for me it is very important.
Perhaps you don't understand this getaway, but for downsyndrome and many others it's a breath of fresh air and something they feel they really could use. Thank G-d we are all different, or else this world would be pretty boring. Just sayin'

(Edited for mispelled word.)

Last edited by First Lady on Tue, Nov 03 2009, 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

OldYoung

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:41 pm
Am I reading right? Do some people really by special labor couches?

Ok, carry on, ladies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics