Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Will starting solids affect milk supply?

amother

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 4:57 am
I want to start my baby on solids, but I'm afraid it will affect my milk supply.
I've been having problems lately with my supply, especially on days that I was tired. At certain points, I had to nurse every hour in order to get my supply back up.
I'm afraid that if I start solids, my milk will totally dry up because of those missed feedings. What can I do? I really don't want to stop nursing.

bonzie

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 5:49 am
im sure you already thought of this but if not, why don't you try pumping each time you give ur baby solids?

goldrose

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 9:19 am
yes, starting solids will affect your milk supply. pumping will help somewhat, but your supply will still dip.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 9:54 am
it deoends on how much you feed you baby. Also don't feed him solids until AFTER nursing.

how old is your baby? I only start on to solids once they are atleast 9 months.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 6:12 pm
you are suppossed to nurse the baby before giving them the food. Food at a young age is supplemental, not the main source of norishment, Your baby should nurse 10-15 minits first, then food and not a whole jar per feeding at the beggining.

goldrose

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 6:15 pm
Quote:
Your baby should nurse 10-15 minits first,

this doesnt really give an idea at all. I never nursed my baby 10-15 minutes total! my babies nursed 1-2-3 and were done.

there's no SUPPOSED to. do what you feel is right.

realeez

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 6:20 pm
If you are having a problem with your milk supply then probably anything different would affect it. Otherwise, it most likely wouldn't.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 6:39 pm
goldrose wrote:
Quote:

this doesnt really give an idea at all. I never nursed my baby 10-15 minutes total! my babies nursed 1-2-3 and were done.

sorry I meant to type the baby should nurse 10-15 minits before having solids!

realeez

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 6:44 pm
mommy3.5, were we once discussing something like this b4 or am I confusing you w/ someone else?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 10:23 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
goldrose wrote:
Quote:

sorry I meant to type the baby should nurse 10-15 minits before having solids!

I think goldrose was saying that you can't assume that the baby will nurse for a certain amount of time, and when that meal is done, feed solids, because every baby nurses for a different amount of time.

Starting solids, especially when supply is already starting to dimish, will cause it to drop more, but by trying to nurse as often and pumping, you can minimize this drop.

Not all babies take to solids right away, so if yours doesn't, you'll probably be nursing the same amount.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, May 09 2006, 10:46 am
mommyabc123 wrote:
mommy3.5, were we once discussing something like this b4 or am I confusing you w/ someone else?

Its possible, but I do not actullay remeber discussing it before!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics