Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bas Mitzvah project
1  2  Next

Merrymom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 4:44 pm
Well we have a party all planned out but my daughter is looking for some chesed project that the girls can do. Everything done already is for sick children or Israeli soldiers. Anyone have other ideas that would be simple and not too expensive?

TWINNY

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 4:48 pm
Baking challah, with the Bas Mitzvah girl having the honor of doing the mitzvah of hafrashas challah.

Merrymom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 9:49 pm
Thank you but one of the girls did that already. I'm driving myself crazy but it won't be the end of the world if we can't find anything.

wtvr

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 10:34 pm
Blankets for babies? Cut "fringes" on pieces of fleece material, then take two pieces and tie the the fringes together.

Also, if it's soon, before Chanukah, you can wrap presents for various organizations.

Merrymom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 11:15 pm
wtvr wrote:
Blankets for babies? Cut "fringes" on pieces of fleece material, then take two pieces and tie the the fringes together.

Also, if it's soon, before Chanukah, you can wrap presents for various organizations.

Would you believe the did this too already and the school always has a big toy drive for Chanukah so that's out too Banging head

Barbara

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 12:24 am
Does the cause need to be specifically Jewish?

What about having the kids write letters to US soldiers serving in the Middle East, through an organization such as anysoldier. I believe that they could also back and send them to soldiers stationed abroad through anysoldier.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 12:38 am
Barbara wrote:

What about having the kids write letters to US soldiers serving in the Middle East, through an organization such as anysoldier. I believe that they could also back and send them to soldiers stationed abroad through anysoldier.

That was one thing I thought about. But you know there are websites like JewishGI.com ( I think that's the name). Then I started getting overwhelmed with the thought because I was thinking about care packages but a letter sounds nice.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 12:50 am
TWINNY wrote:
Baking challah, with the Bas Mitzvah girl having the honor of doing the mitzvah of hafrashas challah.

Merrymom wrote:
Thank you but one of the girls did that already.

Yeah, mitzvas are kind of old hat, right? Confused

Merrymom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 1:13 am
shalhevet wrote:
TWINNY wrote:

Merrymom wrote:

I don't get your point, they each want to do something unique for their party.

wtvr

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 1:19 am
What about something for nursing home patients? Then they can get together again and bring them.
Maybe call the local home and ask if there is anything specific you can make/bring.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 1:44 am
Merrymom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
TWINNY wrote:

Merrymom wrote:

And I don't get yours. Why does it have to be unique? If all the good ideas have been "taken" because they were good ideas, then why can't they be done again? If someone made some sick children happy by making/ bringing them gifts, then why can't another girl make some more sick children happy by doing the same thing? I'm sorry if I'm being cynical on your thread, (and I did honestly try to think of a good idea for you but couldn't) but I think this is maybe an opportunity to give our daughters real chinuch. That the goal is to do ratzon Hashem, and do mitzvas, not to be original/ show off how clever I am. Really, your comment was too much - she can't take challa because someone has done that already?

merelyme

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 1:58 am
How many girls?
You could combine a few things - the bas mitzvah girl takes challah from dough that's prepared earlier, each girl shapes her own challah (write on the baking paper which belongs to whom) and put the challahs into the oven to bake.
Then they each make a necklace or bracelet with crystal beads etc. (not too closely spaced!) and talk about what the real decoration for Jewish women is (Torah and mitzvos).
Then they put away the supplies, wash and have the meal.

oh - and mazel tov!!

Merrymom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 1:59 am
shalhevet wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
TWINNY wrote:

Merrymom wrote:

And I don't get yours. Why does it have to be unique? If all the good ideas have been "taken" because they were good ideas, then why can't they be done again? If someone made some sick children happy by making/ bringing them gifts, then why can't another girl make some more sick children happy by doing the same thing? I'm sorry if I'm being cynical on your thread, (and I did honestly try to think of a good idea for you but couldn't) but I think this is maybe an opportunity to give our daughters real chinuch. That the goal is to do ratzon Hashem, and do mitzvas, not to be original/ show off how clever I am. Really, your comment was too much - she can't take challa because someone has done that already?

I'm asking for some new ideas, maybe I should have made that clear. I don't know if you've ever made a big bas mitzvah party but the bas-mitzvah girl would like hers to be unique in some way. This is more than just doing a mitzvah, they do mitzvohs every day, right? Is the goal just to do mitzvos? Unfortunately it's not so simple. I wish it was as it would make my job much easier.

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 2:52 am
When is the bat mitzvah?

Can she donate ma'aser from her gifts? Someone (maybe here on Imamother) posted she was taking her DS/DD to the supermarket to choose an assortment of canned goods. They were going to make centrepieces from the cans and then donate the food to a food bank. Are you looking for something for her to do with her friends or alone?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 7:50 am
Merrymom wrote:
Barbara wrote:

That was one thing I thought about. But you know there are websites like JewishGI.com ( I think that's the name). Then I started getting overwhelmed with the thought because I was thinking about care packages but a letter sounds nice.

Very against this idea. At her bas mitzvah she should learn to do mitzvos and maasim tovim to Jews first. When she become bas mitzvah she is mechuyev in mitzvos min haTorah. Until now it was only on a chinuch basis. This bas mitzvah affair is the introduction to a grown up Jewish girl al pi Torah. That’s when she begins to fast min haTorah on Yom Kippur, etc.
(Besides, communicating with soldiers is not the greatest idea in reference to yiddishkeit. Having pen-pals soldiers could ch”v ruin your daughter. Definitely not a good beginning and not good for later either. We have to adhere to the rule of ‘kol kvudo bas melech penimah’.)

Therefore, a good idea perhaps would be to do a project with her friends towards the mitzvah of ‘kibud av ve’em’. She and her friends should concentrate on this mitzvah by first realizing how special their parents are and all the good things they did and do for them. The friends should come up on their own with UNIQUE ideas how to respect the parents. You can give them the idea in general but you shouldn’t be involved. This idea combines chessed and mitzvah together.

Maybe a game or something where everyone works on improving a certain midah.

And for a chesed, maybe hand them out little Tehillims they should each say a kapitel or two for a sick classmate or person they all know.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 8:07 am
The goal is assuming adult responsibility for doing mitzvos, yes. There is no "just" about it. Bas mitzvah is a coming of age. Till now, any mitzvos she did were in the realm of chinuch, practice for the real thing. Now it's the real thing! Now she gets schar as a choosing adult. Now she is mechuyeves, so her choices are worth more.

What I do is learn with my 11 year old daughters something related to the time of year they were born or their name, in preparation for their Bas Mitzvah. Then she bases her dvar Torah on what we learned, and I base mine on the same.

A chessed project is a nice idea, but I feel the main emphasis should be on doing something that involves taking on adult Jewish committment, like a dvar Torah based on learning outside school. Like she is stepping up to join the ranks of women whose lives are based on Torah. If a chessed project is an extention of this realization, that's lovely.

Barbara

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:00 am
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Very against this idea. At her bas mitzvah she should learn to do mitzvos and maasim tovim to Jews first. When she become bas mitzvah she is mechuyev in mitzvos min haTorah. Until now it was only on a chinuch basis. This bas mitzvah affair is the introduction to a grown up Jewish girl al pi Torah. That’s when she begins to fast min haTorah on Yom Kippur, etc.
(Besides, communicating with soldiers is not the greatest idea in reference to yiddishkeit. Having pen-pals soldiers could ch”v ruin your daughter. Definitely not a good beginning and not good for later either. We have to adhere to the rule of ‘kol kvudo bas melech penimah’.)

Therefore, a good idea perhaps would be to do a project with her friends towards the mitzvah of ‘kibud av ve’em’. She and her friends should concentrate on this mitzvah by first realizing how special their parents are and all the good things they did and do for them. The friends should come up on their own with UNIQUE ideas how to respect the parents. You can give them the idea in general but you shouldn’t be involved. This idea combines chessed and mitzvah together.

Maybe a game or something where everyone works on improving a certain midah.

And for a chesed, maybe hand them out little Tehillims they should each say a kapitel or two for a sick classmate or person they all know.

A 12 year old girl sending a letter to a soldier saying *Dear AnySolider: I am really grateful that you're protecting our country. I baked you cookies* is going to ruin her life? We must live in different universes.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:17 am
Cna't the girls just have fun? My daughter's made pizzas with her friend, then ate them. the craft was the lunch.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:19 am
Regarding the soldier letters, maybe they can send them specifically to female soldiers. Then in her dvar Torah she can compare herself to being in the Army of Hashem.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:32 am
go to:
http://israelchildren.org/index2.html

This is what their site says?

"Mitzvah Projects
We can help you create the perfect Bar/Bat Mitzvah project to suit your needs. Whether it’s a tennis tournament designed to raise funds or awareness, or a dance-a-thon at your party, we will help you experience the true meaning of tikkun olam: a commandment to help heal the world. The Israel Children's Centers can facilitate communication with Israelis at selected centers. Contact ICC for more information."

They can have a dance-a-thon. Just put on some Jewish music and they dance to raise money. It's to help children in Israel get physical activity.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics