Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Dry beans instead of canned

beckster

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:13 am
How do I use dry beans instead of canned when the recipe calls for canned? I assume I probably have to cook it first. But how? for how long?...
TIA

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 4:39 am
beckster wrote:
How do I use dry beans instead of canned when the recipe calls for canned? I assume I probably have to cook it first. But how? for how long?...
TIA

I soak them overnight (usually changing the water once or twice) and then cook them in the crockpot all day. When they are done I drain and flash freeze so when I need beans I can just take out what I need and use them as canned.

ray family

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 4:42 am
if you have a pressure cooker cook them in there until soft

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 8:28 am
You'll need to soak the beans either in cold water overnight, or pour boiling hot water and let it soak for 1-2hrs. (The only exceptions are lentils and aduki beans which do not need soaking). They swell up--about 2x the amount of dried. I change water after the soaking, ie cook from fresh water.

If using a regular pot, you'll probably need to cook at least 1hr on low flame. I usually use a pressure cooker, which takes about 15-20min. DO NOT ADD SALT OR SEASONING till the beans are cooked, otherwise they will come out hard.

beckster

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 2:12 am
thank you all for your replies.
I think I will try to cook them for an hour on a low flame. but that would defeat the purpose of it being quick and easy. so Rachel what is flash freezing? and do you thaw it before using? how long would it last in the freezer?

thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics