Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What goes with Sushi??

happysmile

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:15 am
Hi,
We are making a Sushi bar dinner and I'm looking for what kind of sides and salads go well with Sushi. we plan to serve soup too.

So what do I need tos erve with sushi to make it a meal besides for soup. I dont wat Sushi so dont know how filling it is and what I need to go with it.

I want it to be something elegant too.

thanks for your help!

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 9:07 am
We got on a kick where we're making it every shabbos. Depending on how you make it, sushi can be pretty filling, but we found that nobody seems too picky about what else is served. Are you planning a milchig or a fleishig meal?

You could go with an oriental theme and do a stir fry, fried rice, miso soup, and exotic fruit like kumquat or lichee.

You could decide to serve something with great popular appeal, to make non-sushi eaters happy, like pizza or chicken fingers (depending on what gender your meal is).

I generally don't want any more fish when I have sushi, but that might just be a personal taste.

You could go with an around-the-world approach, and choose something from a variety of cultures.

Have fun!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 9:11 am
I presume you'll be serving sushi as the main course, instead as an appetiser.

Sides: Some green salad with soya-based dressing.
Grilled portabello mushrooms, roasted peppers, avocado
More chinese than Japanese but some kind of stir-fry
Spinach--either raw baby leaves as salad, or stir-fried with soya and garlic is nice.
I also have a recipe for Japanese green beans--boil trimmed green beans till al dente, dress with
a mix of unseasoned diluted tehini/soya sauce/honey.
If you/guests don't eat sushi and want something filling, sesame noodle salad, or salad topped
with teriyaki salmon or tofu (marinated in soya or teriyaki then pan-fried)

Soup: miso soup (quite easy to make, dilute miso paste, add diced tofu and chopped salad onion)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 9:12 am
Sushi restaurants serve fries, rice, chinese pasta, fried eggs...

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 9:14 am
You could also put out edamame. They're delicious and you don't have to do anything to them if you buy the frozen ones- just defrost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics