Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many outfits do you buy each kid per season and ...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

malkie

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 4:17 pm
I have a 20 month old DS. I try to have about 8 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 3 sweatshirts, 10 undershirts, 5 pajamas. I have 3 Shabbos outfits and some of his weekday clothes can pass for Shabbos in a pinch if it is a 3day YT or something.

I buy clothing from Old Navy, Children's Place and Crazy8. I get them on clearance a year in advance. Ex. I just bought his 3T winter wardrobe for next year from Old Navy while everything was on sale with the additional 30% off. I also get a bunch of hand-me-downs from a friend, so that rounds out his wardrobe and gives me a few extras.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 4:23 pm
about 7 weekday outfits and 1-2 shabbos outfits depending on how yom tov falls that year. this is for a 3 year old. my 20 month old wears hand me downs almost exclusively except for the wrong seasons in the beginning.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 7:32 pm
I would get too bored of my kids clothes if they always wore the same 5 shirts, so I buy them more than they actually need. I know it's not a necessuty but I love "dressing" my kids.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 7:57 pm
My daughter in uniform get two skirts and six or seven shirts, I start out with four shirts and build up as she is able to wear them from year to year. Two weekday outfits for her, and I have to admit together those two outfits cost about seventy dollars (not proud of it but it is a fact). She has one Shabbos outfit and a Shabbos robe both from last year that still fit. For the little ones I bought nothing this season as I am trying very hard not to spend money. They have lots of odds and ends from hand me downs. Probably ten pieces each. But if I would buy them something for them I can't see myself spending less than twenty dollars on an outfit on sale, maybe it's got something to do with living in brooklyn, I don't know.

Marigold

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 11:29 pm
I think it has a lot to do with living in brooklyn, sneakermom. I live in brooklyn too and I spend much more on my 3 year olds clothes than most of the posters here. I do get some cheaper stuff at gap and the likes but I'm surrounded by so many stores selling designer children's wear and there's always some sale going on somewhere that it's very hard for me to resist.

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:16 am
amother wrote:
I would get too bored of my kids clothes if they always wore the same 5 shirts, so I buy them more than they actually need. I know it's not a necessuty but I love "dressing" my kids.

lol I know what you mean. have a few more shirts for blue or denim pants. otherwise I have outfits. the problem with dd is that I have way too many shirts for her skirts.

when I wasn't able to do laundry every week I had at least 14 outfits per kid and extra pjs. I was out of the house and my baby got dressed every day.

now that I don't go out that much alot isn't used. the heat is on in my house and my baby lives in onsies and if I go out he wears only a few outfits otherwise its stretchies or play clothes.

my older kids have 14 outfits give or take. I bought when there was a sale and they still fit into things from last year.

ds is in a uniform I have 7 pairs of pants and 9 shirts. so I don't really run out unless I really didn't have a chance to do laundry. b'h his uniform isn't expensive but I'm not looking forward to dd.

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 2:44 am
At least 2 changes of clothes for Shabbat (preferably 3), and at least 2 pairs of PJs (preferably 3). For "regular" clothes it depends on the stage. My kids were never spitters or exploders...but toilet training generates a LOT of laundry! I also buy end of season for the next year, though I just bought DS#1 a few spare pairs of weekday trousers. DS#2 gets handmedowns, and whatever other people buy as gifts.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 3:27 am
We have about 8 outfits per kid + 2 for shabbos. Most of the kids wear hand-me-downs. I get great stuff at Value Village (cheaper AND nicer than Good Will). Pants are about $3. Shirts the same. Dresses are $4. Skirts are $3-4. Shoes are $4. I've gotten a few shabbos outfits there too for about $10! I get tights from Lands End when they have a $5 sale. They last a long time. I also get things on ebay, but I find it a bit time-consuming searching for the tznius items. Our whole family (6) spends about $200/year on clothes.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 7:59 am
amother wrote:

was thinking the same thing...but was honestly too embarassed 2 post til I saw this post.

I have much more than this per kid (3 boys). each has about 20 weekday things, and 10 shabbos things. for the two younger, many of those are hand me downs or half hand me downs (ie old pants but a new nice shabbos shirt bcz the old one looked outdated or was stained etc). some are cheap (target sale) and some are pretty expensive (burberry etc). some things are gifts for birthdays or from my parents, but most we buy.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 11:53 am
I think you need for a toddler or preschooler: 7 weekday shirts, 5 weekday pants, 2 shabbos vests/sweaters, 2 shabbos pants, 3 shabbos shirts, 2 pajamas. That would be basics. And then if you want more than that, great, go ahead. For a baby, it depends on how often you do laundry and how much they dirty their outfits. Like my 15 month old needs a lot of pj's since he wets his pants every night, (yeah leaks thru his diaper. he has enlarged adenoids and is therefore thirsty at night and drinks a few bottles...) so for a baby it does vary. I wonder how much you ladies really are saving on ebay as opposed to the childrens place with the fifteen percent off coupon. its pretty reasonably priced.

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 11:59 am
malkie wrote:
I have a 20 month old DS. I try to have about 8 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 3 sweatshirts, 10 undershirts, 5 pajamas. I have 3 Shabbos outfits and some of his weekday clothes can pass for Shabbos in a pinch if it is a 3day YT or something.

I buy clothing from Old Navy, Children's Place and Crazy8. I get them on clearance a year in advance. Ex. I just bought his 3T winter wardrobe for next year from Old Navy while everything was on sale with the additional 30% off. I also get a bunch of hand-me-downs from a friend, so that rounds out his wardrobe and gives me a few extras.

I just looked at the Crazy8 website- never heard of it before. . . .cute stuff!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:04 pm
Gold, I've gotten stunning dresses on ebay for 99 cents + $4 shipping -- I mean chassuna worthy dresses for my daughter (I'm thinking of starting an unofficial gemach!) Coats? $10 shipped for Old Navy faux shearling (car coat) and same for a puffy coat (for outside use -- I'm makpid to have thin coats for carseats). Compared to the awesome prices I saw listed here as $50 for reasonable, even with 15% off, I'm definitely saving a whole lot.
When I get lots, I spend less than $4 an item. And I've resold that which I don't use.
I bought a lot in the spring for $10 (free shipping). It had a couple shirts I used, a brand new with tags white oxford shirt that is my son's R"C shirt -- and I sold the 3 Tommy Hilfiger polos from that for 12.50 + shipping, so I MADE money.
EBay all the way!!

What I want to know: all the posters who say they have 2 weeks of clothing for their kids, where do you store it all?! I have a hard time finding space for a week's worth (+ a couple spares).

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:12 pm
Crazy 8 is an off shoot of gymboree. I too shop a year in advance when everything is on sale. It was much easier to do it when my kids were younger. now that my daughter is older, its harder to buy her skirts from the gap, children's place and gymboree. B'h next year she will have a uniform. When children's place had a sale on the longish denim skirts I bought it in 3 different sizes. She has about 5 skirts 10 shirts b.c. I buy a year ahead I loose track of what I bought her otherwise 7 tops is ideal. She has a mixture of heavier sweaters and t-shirts. She has 3 shabbos outfits-one from the gap on sale and two more expensive but also on sale from last year. BTW gymboree has the cutest things and sometimes great deals. I just bought dd a long brown courderoy skirt for 18.00 in the Brooklyn stores all the brown skirts were 40.00.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:24 pm
py2two wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with living in brooklyn, sneakermom. I live in brooklyn too and I spend much more on my 3 year olds clothes than most of the posters here.

I do get some cheaper stuff at gap and the likes but I'm surrounded by so many stores selling designer children's wear and there's always some sale going on somewhere that it's very hard for me to resist.

sorry, but I dont buy the "brooklyn" excuse. no one is forcing you to go into the designer stores, there is plenty of cheap even here.
I also live in brooklyn, and my goal is generally $10 MAX on weekday clothes (for both pieces together). shabbos I'd go up to $15 (or a bit higher if I know I have a simcha that season and will need something)

also, I dont understand the "more pants then shirts" logic. do they wear a pair of pants twice before washing with a different shirt?
at 3 years old I dump all clothes in the wash after one day of wearing. the germs and mess that go around school is not worth it for me to have my kid sitting in it for another day.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:37 pm
How do you find skirts for tall girls for $10 max? Also. I think people tend to buy more shirts than pants and skirts. Shirts usually make the outfit especially when the pants or skirt is a basic dark color. I myself buy my boys navy, brown, tan in cotton and some corduroys.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Gold, I've gotten stunning dresses on ebay for 99 cents + $4 shipping -- I mean chassuna worthy dresses for my daughter <snip>

It's incredible what you can find. And those lots are the best. I recently got seven 3/4 sleeve tznius tops for $24 including shipping! That let me replace many shirts that had definitely come to the end of their lives. Smile The ebay shirts look like they were NEVER worn!

Also, for closet space we can now fit the clothes of all 6 of us into one closet (8 feet long). Each grownup and the two boys each have two dresser drawers, and the two girls have one dresser drawer. (We turned our upstairs family room, which is next to the master bedroom, into a big "dorm room.") The two closets downstairs are just used for storage.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
How do you find skirts for tall girls for $10 max? Also. I think people tend to buy more shirts than pants and skirts. Shirts usually make the outfit especially when the pants or skirt is a basic dark color. I myself buy my boys navy, brown, tan in cotton and some corduroys.

If you buy elastic-waist skirts, it's *very* easy to snip open the hem where the elastic is, stitch it so it's a little shorter, then reclose the hem. Really 5 minutes. (And I'm no sewer!) So you can get 2 sizes bigger (and longer) and it works fine. I've also actually found many skirts that come in long lengths. They're sure easy to scan for too since the long skirts stick out of the bottom of the rack. Smile

Marigold

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:44 pm
Hey, nobody said about being forced or anything like that. I like nice clothes in general. Grew up with them and around them. So being surrounded by all the nice things just makes that little yetzer voice in me hum a little louder. That's me personally.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:46 pm
I don't buy outfits. I buy 5-6 shirts and pants that can be mixed and matched.

Don't ask me about girls yet because I'm still not ready to think about how to dress a girl. B"H I have plenty of things for her for the next long while that I didn't have to choose or shop for.

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:03 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

What I want to know: all the posters who say they have 2 weeks of clothing for their kids, where do you store it all?! I have a hard time finding space for a week's worth (+ a couple spares).

b'h I have closet space and I have 2 dressers. I can put a lot into a dresser.

with my younger kids I think in terms of outfits pants and shirt. b/c they make it really dirty that it has to go straight into the wash and with my older 4+ kids they are getting better at keeping things clean so I have more tops than bottoms.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics