Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Full supper recipes in the crock pot
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 11:21 pm
Great will get slicing now then. It will have all night to marinate and will plop it on the base in the morning.

bubble gum

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 3:42 pm
[/quote]London broil works well and shreds beautifully. Cook for 8 hours.[/quote]

Thanks. We eat supper usually between 5-6pm and I can either put up the crockpot before work at 8 which would mean cooking it for 9-10 hours or at after work at 1:00, which would mean cooking it for 4-5 hours. I assume its better to put it up at 8?

Also, I am trying to do more crockpot cooking and I am so excited to try your recipes- they look really great. Would you mind telling me in general which cuts of meat and chicken are better when cooked longer on LOW, and which are ok/better when cooked for shorter amount of time on HIGH?

Thanks a million!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 7:14 pm
bubble gum wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
London broil works well and shreds beautifully. Cook for 8 hours.

Thanks. We eat supper usually between 5-6pm and I can either put up the crockpot before work at 8 which would mean cooking it for 9-10 hours or at after work at 1:00, which would mean cooking it for 4-5 hours. I assume its better to put it up at 8?

Also, I am trying to do more crockpot cooking and I am so excited to try your recipes- they look really great. Would you mind telling me in general which cuts of meat and chicken are better when cooked longer on LOW, and which are ok/better when cooked for shorter amount of time on HIGH?

Thanks a million!

I suggest you use a shabbos timer set to turn on and start cooking your meat 8 hours before you come home. That way you won't have dried out/burnt tasting meat.

As for LOW vs. HIGH, I love the way the food cooks on LOW. Just follow the instructions and have fun.

bubble gum

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 8:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
bubble gum wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks a million!

I suggest you use a shabbos timer set to turn on and start cooking your meat 8 hours before you come home. That way you won't have dried out/burnt tasting meat.

As for LOW vs. HIGH, I love the way the food cooks on LOW. Just follow the instructions and have fun.

A shabbos timer is a great idea, except I don't have one! Oh well. Think it will be terrible if I cook it on high from 1-5:30ish instead?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 8:29 pm
Does your crock pot have a "warm" setting? If so, you can leave it on low from 8 am, and switch it to warm once it's done to stay hot and fresh until you're ready to eat.

bubble gum

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 8:35 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Does your crock pot have a "warm" setting? If so, you can leave it on low from 8 am, and switch it to warm once it's done to stay hot and fresh until you're ready to eat.

Oh, that's a perfect idea. Thank you.

I have 2 crockpots and was planning on using the smaller one, but it doesn't have a WARM setting. So I will use the bigger crockpot which does!

Thanks again.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 8:41 pm
bubble gum wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Oh, that's a perfect idea. Thank you.

I have 2 crockpots and was planning on using the smaller one, but it doesn't have a WARM setting. So I will use the bigger crockpot which does!

Thanks again.

OK, just make sure its pretty full. Food tends to dry out or burn if the crock isn't filled enough Smile

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 9:20 pm
bubble gum wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
bubble gum wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks a million!

A shabbos timer is a great idea, except I don't have one! Oh well. Think it will be terrible if I cook it on high from 1-5:30ish instead?
1-5:30 on HIGH should be okay, that's equivalent to 9 hours on LOW.

bubble gum

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 12:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
bubble gum wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
bubble gum wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks a million!

1-5:30 on HIGH should be okay, that's equivalent to 9 hours on LOW.

Ok, I will do this then. Its easier than having to put it up before work anyways. And MaBellevie, I was worried about that (which is why I was going to use the smaller one) so I'll just put it up at 1 and cook it on high.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions Smile. I appreciate it!

goodmorning

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 9:49 pm
seeker wrote:
Great will get slicing now then. It will have all night to marinate and will plop it on the base in the morning.

seeker, can you tell us how it came out?

Maryann

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 9:55 am
ra_mom wrote:
Here's the copy and paste. Let me know if you'd like the rest of the recipes.

Honey Barbecued Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
3 cups peeled and sliced sweet potatoes, about 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
1 cup (8 oz.) pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
¼ cup finely chopped onion
½ tsp ground ginger
2/3 cup thick barbecue sauce
4 Tbsp honey
1 tsp dry mustard
4 to 6 chicken leg quarters, skin removed

In 3½ to 5 quart slow cooker, combine sweet potatoes, pineapple with juice, chopped onion, and ground ginger. Stir to blend well.
In a measuring cup, combine barbecue sauce, honey, and dry mustard. Stir with a fork to blend well.
Coat chicken generously on all sides with barbecue sauce mixture. Arrange coated chicken in single layer over sweet potato and pineapple mixture, overlapping if necessary. Spoon any remaining barbecue sauce mixture over chicken.
Cover; cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (or on HIGH for 4 to 4½) or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear, and sweet potatoes are tender.

(If you want the chicken to be extra juicy, leave on skin but pull it back and spread some sauce underneath. Then put back slin atop chicken and coat each chicken piece with sauce.)

Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
Chicken
4 chicken legs, skinned
1 very large Spanish onion, chopped (I like to add more - they come out like sauteed onions)

Dressing (this is approximate amounts, just make a dressing and taste - season generously with salt)
4 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil, optional
1 Tbsp garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, crushed
salt to taste

Rice
1 cup white rice
2½ cups boiling water
2 tsp Kosher salt OR 1 tsp table salt

Place chopped onion on bottom of crockpot; place chicken on top in a single layer, overlapping if necessary.
Combine balsamic vinegar, optional olive oil, garlic powder and salt in a plastic cup. Pour evenly over chicken.
Cook on low for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.

(If you want the chicken to be extra juicy, leave on skin but pull it back and season the chicken under the skin. Then pull back skin atop chicken, arrange in crock, and pour dressing over all pieces.)

When you come home:
One full hour before chicken is ready, pour rice, boiling water from tea kettle, and salt into a crockpot liner/bag. Tie the bag with a knot. Place bag on top of chicken in crockpot. Cover crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
To serve, pour sauce and onions from bottom of crockpot over rice, and serve with chicken.

(This puffed white rice method works great with any crock pot recipe. It comes out perfectly puffed, no mushiness at all.)

Shredded Beef Buns these are really good

1 lb. flanken
1 small onion, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
½ cup original bar-b-q sauce (use a thick sauce, not a liquidy version)
2 tsp Italian seasoning spice
2 sandwich buns, split (French or Italian baguettes work great.)

Place steak in slow cooker; top with onions, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Combine bar-b-q sauce and Italian seasoning; pour over ingredients in slow cooker. Cover with lid.
Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 5 hours.

Remove steak from slow cooker; shred with fork or cut across the grain into thin strips.
Return steak to slow cooker; stir gently to evenly coat with sauce.
Place 1 bun half on each of 4 serving plates; top evenly with the steak mixture.

You can use any variety of meat cuts. Less expensive meat cuts benefit most form this cooking method.

Garlic Chicken
4-6 chicken bottoms with skin
1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
4 garlic cloves, halved

Place onion slices on the bottom of crockpot.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and garlic. Pour into crockpot, on top of the onion.
Do not add water.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
(Original recipe calls for 20 whole garlic cloves, still intact. Also so delicious.)

USE THE RICE IN THE CROCKPOT BAG METHOD FOR THIS RECIPE.
(The reason rice is not added under the chicken in these two recipes is because the onions on bottom become butter soft and very tastey. The rice would interfere with that, and the taste would come out too strong. Buy making plain puffed rice, you get to top it with the delicious onions and sauce.)

Chicken Curry
4 chicken bottoms, legs and thighs separated
2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
10 baby carrots, sliced, or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, halved and sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp ground cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup water

Place 1/2 cup water on bottom of crockpot.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken, potatoes, baby carrots and onions, with olive oil, curry powder, cumin, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Pour everything besides chicken into crockpot. Place chicken on top.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.

Saucy Meatballs
At the beginning of the week, or the night before, cook 1 package spaghetti as directed on package; drain. Drizzle with a drop of oil. Place in sealed container or Ziplock bag and keep in fridge until ready to serve with meatballs.

3/4 cup bread crumbs seasoned generously to taste
1½ lbs. lean ground meat
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup water
2 cups sliced mushroom
2 medium green peppers, sliced (about 2 cups)
4 cups (if jarred, use 26 oz. jar plus 1 additional cup of sauce) spaghetti sauce

Combine bread crumbs, spices to taste, meat, egg and water. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place in slow cooker, top with mushrooms, peppers, and spaghetti sauce. Cover with lid.
Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve over spaghetti.

Ra mom will the garlic chicken work with out the skin? I already skinned my chicken.. Ty!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 10:03 am
Maryann wrote:
Ra mom will the garlic chicken work with out the skin? I already skinned my chicken.. Ty!

It might dry out so add extra sliced onions on top to cover the exposed chicken and only cook for 6 hours on low, not longer. Enjoy it!

kidhugger

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 8:29 am
Do you think that some carrots can be added to the garlic chicken recipe? Will it ruin it?
Remember that the recipe doesn't have any added water.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:10 am
kidhugger wrote:
Do you think that some carrots can be added to the garlic chicken recipe? Will it ruin it?
Remember that the recipe doesn't have any added water.

You can add it, it still won't need any water.

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:19 am
RA mom I see that you are the go to chef for advice, for the past 10 yrs!! Kudos to you!!

mamaleh

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:22 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
baked beans

1 lb navy beans
1 48 oz can tomato juice
3 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp honey (more if you want)
dried mustard powder (I don't really measure. you can use a good squirt of regular yellow mustard instead.)
1 onion
salt
pepper
1 pack cholent meat/chicken

mix all ingredients in crock pot. leave it on high all day. don't bother with low, the beans won't soften. I throw it all in friday morning, high all day, switch to warm before candle lighting.

I know this is an old post and I’m not sure if mummiedearest is still around, but maybe someone else knows:
Do the beans for this recipe need to be soaked?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 12:35 pm
Thanks dankbar!
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics