Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Full supper recipes in the crock pot
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Gerbera

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 9:31 am
I have a Rival crockpot - two actually. One I find doesnt keep the food warm enough once it switches to the 'warm' mode - the other cooks everything perfectly!

For those who asked for chicken recipes for Shabbos - I make this all the time - for during the week and Shabbat lunch.

1 pack chicken, cut into eights (I usually buy 4 pieces of leg with backbone attached instead)
salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp paprika
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 cup green olives, pitted
1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)

Saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add spices and saute for one minute.

Place onion and spice mixture into crockpot. Top with chicken, olives, lemons and can of diced tomatoes.

I cook on low for 10 hours.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 6:18 pm
Ra_mom, I made garlic chicken tonight and it burned a little. It was on High for for FIVE hours, could that be it? Also, would the puffed rice work with brown rice? I only use brown rice but that would be a great idea!

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 6:47 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Ra_mom, I made garlic chicken tonight and it burned a little. It was on High for for FIVE hours, could that be it? Also, would the puffed rice work with brown rice? I only use brown rice but that would be a great idea!

When I do chicken in the crockpoy I have a Preset which is 1 hour on hi, and then 4-7 hours on low.
Works beautifully.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 8:09 pm
Fabulous wrote:
I do it on low only.
I've done balsamic chicken on high, but only for 4 hours.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 8:10 pm
Thanks ladies.

I had to leave the house at 12 and was back at 5:15, and the chicken was frozen to together so I couldn't do it before 11:45 or so. Plus the chicken went in pretty frozen. Scratching Head

Mine only has high, low and off.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 8:12 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Thanks ladies.

I had to leave the house at 12 and was back at 5:15, and the chicken was frozen to together so I couldn't do it before 11:45 or so. Plus the chicken went in pretty frozen. Scratching Head

I use a shabbos zeiger with my crockpot. For example, I leave it set on high, and it turns on automatically 4 hours before I get home, and turns off when done.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 8:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
Thanks ladies.

I use a shabbos zeiger with my crockpot. For example, I leave it set on high, and it turns on automatically 4 hours before I get home, and turns off when done.

that's a great idea! Thanks!

ABC

Post Sun, Oct 28 2012, 4:59 am
sunshine! wrote:
Here are 3 recipes using chicken breasts that comes out moist

One Pot Chicken Dinner
2 chicken breasts, split and skinned
4 med. potatoes
2 lg. carrots
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen green beans
1 lg. onion
1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 c. cooking wine
1 c. water

Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot. Peel potatoes, quarter, and place on top of chicken. Peel and quarter the onion. Peel carrots, quarter lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch lengths. Separate frozen beans, and place in the pot with onions and carrots. Sprinkle contents of pot with parsley flakes. Pour wine over all. Add water, using a little more than 1 cup, if necessary to cover. Cook on low 6-7 hours.

Sounds like a good recipe, but red or white wine? I'd assumed white as with chicken breasts but if you say cooking wine, makes me think red.

gazingblue

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 2:59 am
ra_mom wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
Thanks ladies.

Firstly I just discovered this thread and I am so excited. Thanks for all the info. I've been looking for good crock pot recipes.
Just to clarify, you put frozen chicken into crock pot, throw your sauce or whatever else in and then set it in shabbos timer? If yes that sounds great cuz I leave house by 9:00 and kids get home by 4;00. Did u say to have it go on 4 hours before getting home? Did I see somewhere earlier in this thread that for frozen chicken some water should be added? Thanks again

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2012, 11:54 pm
gazingblue, I try not to use frozen poultry or meat in the crockpot.
Most of my crockpot dishes I cook on LOW for 8 hours, no timer.
If my recipe needs only 6 hours, I set the shabbos timer to go on 6 hours before supper time, so that it's fresh when we come home and it hasn't overcooked.

gazingblue

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 2:35 am
Thanks ra_mom

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 7:53 pm
another great recipe I just tried from The Coffee

Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken

2 lbs. boneless skinless dark chicken thigh cutlets
salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
4 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup water
2 packets minute rice (optional)
1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds (or more)
3 scallions, chopped

Place chicken in crockpot and lightly season both sides with s&p.
In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil, red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours.
Remove chicken and place on a cutting board, leaving sauce in crockpot. Shred chicken into bite size pieces and set aside. Prepare rice according to package directions.
In a small bowl dissolve cornstarch and water; add to crock. Stir to comvine with sauce. Cover and cook on high fir 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
Add cooked rice to 4 plates, top with chicken, and spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:57 pm
Another recipe from The Coffee.

Crockpot Beef and Broccoli

1 lb boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp oil
3 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp water
Fresh broccoli florets
Hot cooked rice

Place beef in crockpot.
In a small bowl combine broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and garlic; pour over beef.
Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
Stir cornstarch and water in a cup until smooth and add to crockpot and stir well to combine.
Blanch broccoli florets and add to the crockpot and stir to combine.
Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes on high or until thickened.
Serve over hot cooked rice.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:13 pm
Ra_mom can you please share the meat stew recipe you referenced on page one but I didn't see it shared among all the other recipes? I have some meat chunks I had bought for cholent but they just didn't come out great in cholent and now I'm fishing for new ideas of what to do with them. Maybe next time I'll try seeing if I can do the beef and broccoli with them (I bought a whole bunch at once and froze in separate packets) but we already had broccoli today and I already defrosted the meat so it'll have to be tomorrow...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:32 pm
seeker wrote:
Ra_mom can you please share the meat stew recipe you referenced on page one but I didn't see it shared among all the other recipes? I have some meat chunks I had bought for cholent but they just didn't come out great in cholent and now I'm fishing for new ideas of what to do with them. Maybe next time I'll try seeing if I can do the beef and broccoli with them (I bought a whole bunch at once and froze in separate packets) but we already had broccoli today and I already defrosted the meat so it'll have to be tomorrow...
I need to find if I have exact measurements on this.

I throw together chopped onion, crushed garlic, 2-3 lbs. cubed meat, baby red potatoes, baby carrots, dried parsley, salt and pepper. Then I add 2 cups minus 2 Tbsp water. Cook on low 9 hours.
Mix 2 Tbsp cornstarch with 2 Tbsp water until smooth; add to crock and stir well to combine. (You can also add a handful of frozen peas at this point in you'd like.)
Turn setting to high, cover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until thickened.

Of course you can use regular cubed potatoes and carrots, or whatever you have on hand.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:46 pm
Thanks! Exact measurements not needed. Is it a cholenty type of dish? Because I am totally not into cholent.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:46 pm
I also do a beef and barley stew. And sometimes barbecue beef stew.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:47 pm
Sounds good, what's in them?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:48 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks! Exact measurements not needed. Is it a cholenty type of dish? Because I am totally not into cholent.
No. Kind of like goulash.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:51 pm
OK, maybe I'll try it then. Nothing to lose as I have the meat and no other inspirational idea what to make with it. I have something like 3/4 lb of beef so will figure out how to scale it down I guess.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics