Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lunch comes all too often - I feel like an awful wife!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:33 pm
For some reason, I am just awful at packing my husband's lunch every day. Do any of you do this every day? WHAT DO YOU PUT IN IT?

I don't know what is so difficult about this. I feel like it's easier for kids, you stick a sandwich, a few snacks, and a couple fruits in it and voila!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:36 pm
I'm guilty of this too Sad Maybe this thread will inspire me to get back into making dh lunch too.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:39 pm
Me too! I think it's because he's not satisfied with a sandwich and snacks, or fruit.

I usually do leftovers.

One thing he likes is tuna salad in a tortilla or pita, with some lettuce and cheese.

Somethings I just leave it up to him to pack!!

Moriyi

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:59 pm
OP here.

Yay! I'm not alone!

I do pack him leftovers.. Tonight was a dairy pasta (he works the night shift). He works 12 hour shifts, so he definitely needs something substantial. BUT WHAT?

I feel like this problem is compounded with my awful grocery shopping skills. How is that my mother was always able to pull a few different meals together in minutes!? WITH WHAT SHE HAS.

SingALong

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 10:59 pm
I leave my house really early in morning so no way am I making anyone lunch. as it is I need to cook supper the day before so I dont have enough energy to cook supper plus prepare lunches.
for my lunch, I do the night before and if my DH wants what im making, then I'll make double but he usually doesnt like the stuff I make cuz I do really lo fat (salads, chicken and veggies, etc) or else I just take leftover supper. also, he has so many kosher places near his office that he can always go get. actually I made a chicken ceasar salad this week that he liked so I'll try to do that again.
I cant do anything that needs to be prepared in the morning since I leave to early and im always rushing.

I try to have precut cucumber/pepper sticks in fridge so he can take those.

I have dips and bread.

I can give you ideas of what I do for myself

stir fry chicken with veggies, side of rice

baked pesto chicken cutlet with mashed potatoes.

once I did meat sauce and brown rice.

I just put it in a plastic container place a plastic fork adn knife on top in a plastic bag in the fridge so it the morning I just take the bag I dont need to gather all the stuff. figure out what will taste good even though in fridge overnight and do those the night before if you can.

for salad, I put all veggies into container and I put the dressing in a tiny plastic container in the big container and mix it in fresh at work it delicious

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 11:07 pm
Same here Meema2Kids. It's because dh gets so fussy about what I send, that I just give up.
I think I will make a lunch menu for dh at the beginning of the week so that I am prepared (e/t has to be prepared in the fridge at beginning of week), and so that I am not repetative.
I will try this...

Sunday:
tuna sandwiches from freezer
ready baggie of baby carrots, grape tomatoes and sliced kirbies
banana

Monday:
container containing lettuce mix, grape tomatoes, cubed kirbies (kirbies in a baggie so that it stays fresh made ahead ot time), turkey strips, tiny container of creamy dressing, packet of melba toast, fork and napkin
sliced apple

Tues:
pastrami sandwich from freezer
ready baggie of baby carrots, grape tomatoes and pepper strips
natural apple sauce cup

Thurs:
container containing lettuce mix, grape tomatoes, pepper strips, deviled eggs, tiny container of vinaigrette dressing, packet of melba toast, fork and napkin
peeled orange

Now I've got work to do!

Moriyi

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 11:16 pm
Thanks everyone!

RA Mom - What does that mean sandwiches from freezer? (Do you freeze the entire sandwich?)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 11:31 pm
Moriyi wrote:
Thanks everyone!

RA Mom - What does that mean sandwiches from freezer? (Do you freeze the entire sandwich?)

Yes. I've found that these two variations freeze well (keep in freezer for 2 weeks, not longer).
-tuna sandwich (tuna make with mayo)
-deli sandwhich (ketchup spread on bread/roll)
They need to be double wrapped and sealed well. I wrap each sandwich in silver foil, then seal them all together in a large Ziplock bag.
Send frozen. By the time lunch rolls around, they are defrosted and still cold (don't need refrigeration.)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 11:46 pm
Stock up on good rolls and bagels and fill it every day with something else. Then you can make a salad and some mezonos like cookies and a fruit. Don't know what your dh goes for.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:21 am
sit down with him and make a list. What facilities does he hve - microwave, hot pot, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:22 am
I must be really lucky that dh prefers to buy his own lunch on his lunch break. he doesnt like prepackaged sandwiches. he likes to go to a cafe and see what he's in the mood of that day!

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:28 am
I wouldn't work so hard on lunch ... you gotta make some things simple ...

a yogurt / fruit / granola bar
tuna sandwich with lettuce & tomatoes and a pickle on the side or cukes, peppers & carrots cut up
peanut (almond) butter & jelly on whole wheat with chocolate milk

if he can warm things up in a microwave - make small veggie soup containers and send along with cracker & cheese

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 11:29 am
Only one place for DH to buy lunch and if he did that every day we'd go broke! Very Happy

He does get a lunch "allowance" each week that he can spend any way he wants - usually I think he gets sides or snacks like chips, which I don't have in the house.

louche

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
For some reason, I am just awful at packing my husband's lunch every day. Do any of you do this every day? WHAT DO YOU PUT IN IT?

I don't know what is so difficult about this. I feel like it's easier for kids, you stick a sandwich, a few snacks, and a couple fruits in it and voila!

making a dh lunch is easy: you stick a sandwich, a few snacks, and a couple fruits in it and voila!

louche

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 12:33 pm
IMHO, if dh doesn't like what dw makes him for lunch, let him make his own blessed lunch, or do without. Period.

behappysk

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 1:22 pm
I usually do a sandwich ex; tuna, eggs, cream cheese and lox..... with a salad. I also put in a fruit and a snack to go with it. He usually will buy a coffee in the morning to carry him over till lunchtime.

Tova

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 1:29 pm
louche wrote:
IMHO, if dh doesn't like what dw makes him for lunch, let him make his own blessed lunch, or do without. Period.

Or, he can give her ideas of things he does like and she can have the zechus of packing him lunch every day.

Maya

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 1:44 pm
My husband got tired of sandwiches, so now I send along a salad. I put in Romaine lettuce, grated Parmesan cheese, grape tomatoes and croutons. He has a bottle of dressing at work.

I also pack a yogurt, a granola or energy bar, a fruit and cake/cookies. He usually doesn't eat everything the same day, so often I only have to do the salad because he has the other foods left over from days before.

Ronit

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 2:17 pm
Dh eats lunch by his mother. How's that?

I'm at work by his lunch break, so he doesn't bother coming home. Instead he goes to his mother who is much closer to his kollel than home. On the days that I don't work I love preparing lunch for him, cuz otherwise I wouldn't prepare a/t normal for myself.

I do have these guilt feelings about breakfast though. Dh doesn't come home for breakfast anymore, because of his morning route. If he would, he would be late to kollel. Instead he usually has coffee or buys a sandwich. I'm always offering him to send along something, but he doesnt want me too. I don't insist enough because my mornings are busy enough as is, but I always feel bad about it.

JollyMommy

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 2:21 pm
this is funny! when we were first married I used to make DH's lunch, but I was so slow at it that one day he just made both of our lunches himself. from that day forward he always made my lunch and his own!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics