Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Spit up issue

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 1:57 pm
did anyone ever have this happen? whenever I nurse the baby she spits up a ton mmediately but if I give her a bottle she doesn't.

Tefila

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 7:35 pm
I had one of mine do that. Not much you can do. I think b/c a) they gulp down to fast or b) it comes down too fast.
But after awhile it was fine Wink

happyone

Post Wed, May 10 2006, 9:12 pm
You might just not taste as good as fomula! Wink Very Happy

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 6:57 am
im worried there is something wrong with my milk. and wondering if I should stop nursing.

mother48

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 7:10 am
no! don't stop nursing. ask a dr if you are nervous.

maybe she eats too much when you nurse? a baby's stomach is not so big and can't handle too much. if the milk is running back out 'unprocessed' not cheesy like, means just no more room inside. try feeding for a shorter amt of time and see if it helps.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 7:37 am
I would think it's probably because of an overactive milk ejection reflex and that she is taking in a lot of air trying to keep up with your letdown. It also could be she is getting a lot of foremilk and that makes her tummy upset, but if she isn't upset and just spitting up, it might not be that.

If you have a pump, you can pump for 2 minutes to get over the initial let down overactivity and some of the foremilk and then try nursing.
It might also help to lie down or lean back to go against gravity when the milk comes out.

And DEFINITELY do not stop nursing!

One more thing: have you noticed a pattern that it happens more if you nurse from one side rather than the other?

(I do not think she is eating too much. THe only reason a baby would eat more than they could handle when nursing is if their stomach is already upset, and they are nursing because it feels good. This means that there is an underlying cause for over-nursing, and it's many times because of OMER)

mother48

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 7:47 am
Quote:
do not think she is eating too much. THe only reason a baby would eat more than they could handle when nursing is if their stomach is already upset, and they are nursing because it feels good. This means that there is an underlying cause for over-nursing, and it's many times because of OMER)

my dr said it's just to much nursing, and the milk is up his throat. they don't stop b/c babys like sucking.

also, what's OMER

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 8:01 am
mother48 wrote:
Quote:
do not think she is eating too much. THe only reason a baby would eat more than they could handle when nursing is if their stomach is already upset, and they are nursing because it feels good. This means that there is an underlying cause for over-nursing, and it's many times because of OMER)

my dr said it's just to much nursing, and the milk is up his throat. they don't stop b/c babys like sucking.

also, what's OMER
Babies like sucking, but usually when there is something bothering them, like too much air already in their little tummies.

OMER is overactive milk ejection reflex. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/sup......html

realeez

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 8:35 am
how old is your baby? maybe she needs to be burped more often during a feeding? I've had that happen w/ my children - if I didn't burp them often enuf in a feeding at a younger age, they would give a big burp at the end and spit up a lot! I wouldn't suggest giving up nursing over this! you aren't doing anything wrong!

lol about OMER - I couldn't figure out what sefira had to do with nursing!!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:45 am
mommyabc123 wrote:

lol about OMER - I couldn't figure out what sefira had to do with nursing!!!!
sorry 'bout that; I also did a double take first time I saw that acronym!

Expecting

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:50 am
didnt real the whole thread, but I would get her tested for allergies

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 10:08 am
Expecting wrote:
didnt real the whole thread, but I would get her tested for allergies

But she doesn't seem to spit up when using a bottle...

Well, what is in the bottle? If it's pumped milk, it's highly unlikely it's allergies...if formula, it's possible, but I don't think the most probable cause.

shoshana

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 10:42 am
My baby also spits up a lot. I'm nursing her exclusively and she's not gaining enough according to the dr. He wants me to add a supplement. But I don't understand why she spits so much if she needs more.

didan

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 10:47 am
B"H

shoshana wrote:
My baby also spits up a lot. I'm nursing her exclusively and she's not gaining enough according to the dr. He wants me to add a supplement. But I don't understand why she spits so much if she needs more.

Allergies are possible, though not likely. My first was allergic to dairy and reacted when I ate it. Irealized it when she was 3 months old, and when I stopped eating dairy products, she stopped spitting up.

You may have an overabundance that's coming out to quickly, causing the baby to swallow to much at once, leading to the spitting up. I'd suggest a lactation consultant.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 10:52 am
didan wrote:
B"H

shoshana wrote:

Allergies are possible, though not likely. My first was allergic to dairy and reacted when I ate it. Irealized it when she was 3 months old, and when I stopped eating dairy products, she stopped spitting up.

You may have an overabundance that's coming out to quickly, causing the baby to swallow to much at once, leading to the spitting up. I'd suggest a lactation consultant.

Additionally, she could be getting to much foremilk, and not enough hindmilk which is fattier. A lactation consultant should definitely be able to help and get her feedings back on track. (my son doesn't gain enough either according to the doc, and he's 10 months old and eats solids -- he just isn't all that hungry, he is extremely active, and since my husband and I are small, it makes sense for him to be too! he is not malnourished or anything, so I take everything the doc says with a grain of salt....)
How old is your baby? Did she ever gain weight nicely and now isn't? Or has this always been the case? (I doubt if you have enough milk which it sounds like you will need to supplement)

Yocheved_G

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 7:08 pm
With my oldest, I tried to be so careful with what I ate so that his stomach shouldn't be upset & he shouldn't have gas. I tried to eliminate any potentially bad food from my diet. I didn't have dairy, "night shades" vegetables, spices, etc. My baby had really bad spit up... I would have to change his whole outfit at least 4 times a day. Then one shabbos when he was about 3 weeks old, I was changing him for the 7th! time and he was spitting up so excessively and it was very scary. I started reviewing every morsel I had eaten, and I realized that because I was being so careful I had eaten very little food. He wasn't getting substanitive milk. After that, I improved my food intake and Boruch Hashem his spitting up subsided.
I don't know if this info applies to you, but maybe its something to consider... I hope it helps!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 8:27 am
Yocheved_G wrote:
With my oldest, I tried to be so careful with what I ate so that his stomach shouldn't be upset & he shouldn't have gas. I tried to eliminate any potentially bad food from my diet. I didn't have dairy, "night shades" vegetables, spices, etc. My baby had really bad spit up... I would have to change his whole outfit at least 4 times a day. Then one shabbos when he was about 3 weeks old, I was changing him for the 7th! time and he was spitting up so excessively and it was very scary. I started reviewing every morsel I had eaten, and I realized that because I was being so careful I had eaten very little food. He wasn't getting substanitive milk. After that, I improved my food intake and Boruch Hashem his spitting up subsided.
I don't know if this info applies to you, but maybe its something to consider... I hope it helps!
You bring up an excellent point. Too many times I have heard not to eat this and not to eat that when nursing because your baby might have an upset stomach. It's impossible to avoid everything than might hurt him, and there is no research that shows there is a scientific reason for it to upset the baby so much (though many mothers' experiences have shown otherwise!).

It is much more important for a mother to eat healthily and get her calcium and vitamins -- and brocolli and cabbage along with other leafy vegetables are a good source of this. There is no reason to assume you have to avoid it in case your baby might not feel good; it IS pertinent that you get the proper nutrition, both for yourself and your baby!

Thank you for sharing this and potentially helping other mothers out there Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics