Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ice cream scooper on shabbos?

happy2beme

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 1:37 pm
Are you allowed to use an ice cream scooper on shabbos to give the food a nice form, I.e., liver or seet potatie pie?
tx

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 2:37 pm
why not?

Flowerchild

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 2:41 pm
ditto why not? is it because your making a shape? I think with food its ok.

supermom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 3:19 pm
you are not allowed to make a nice decoration out food like put cookies in a decorative way on a platter. Does this go in the same catagory as a ice cream scooper?

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 4:30 pm
I learned from Shemiras Shabbos Ke'hilchasa (I think) that it's assur to make a nice shape e.g. a mound or ball, with an ice cream scoop. It is boneh. Similarly you are not allowed to use a fork to decorate something like chopped egg and onion with lines or very smooth.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 7:04 am
Ha-ha. I leanred it's okay!

Flowerchild

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 7:28 am
sarag thats what I thought that when it comes to food your allowed to decorate and make something nice with it. and I bleive ive seen some women do that on shabbat.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 10:48 am
We just learned that a couple of weeks ago, in a shiur. It's not considered shaping or decorating.

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 7:49 pm
Quote:
"You are not allowed to stick food in a special way, if his intention is for decoration,since it is included in the prohibition of boneh. Someone who prepares egg and onion should be careful not to smooth it on the plate, but just put it as it is.
You are not allowed to use a special instrument to cut watermelon in a special form, such as triangular etc and also not a special instrument for cutting beets or potatoes into a special shape. Similarly it is forbidden to make butter, margarine etc into a special shape like people do for guests."

Shemiras Shabbos Ke'hilchasa (R' Yehoshua Neurbert Shlita)
Chapter 11, 10-11 (my translation from the Hebrew - there is an English translation available, but I don't have it)

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 11:03 pm
I always use a scoop for eggs and liver, so does my MIL and she is extremely makpid with things like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen