Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Breastfeeding on demand or on schedule?
Previous  1  2

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 6:42 pm
I have a question about not nursing at night... if your baby sleeps through the night, then you are necessarily going to produce less milk? This has always bothered me because my first and my current baby started sleeping through the night rather early on. And I never had a baby that needed to nurse every 3 hours at night, after the first month or so. Scratching Head

ETA: I guess what I'm saying is that if your baby naturally doesn't want/need to nurse so often, should you be worried about your supply? And should you try to make them nurse more often?

MommyLuv

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 7:25 pm
Your baby and your milk supply go hand in hand. if your babies were the rare ones that slept a lot at night, my guess is that as long as they are nursed whenever they need it, it's fine, cuz you're producing what your baby needs in order to thrive. my concern is when parents try to "program" their babies to be hungry at specific times, by periodicallly ignoring their cries etc you lose the natural supply-demand flow of nursing cuz your baby learns to stifle his needs instead of trust that his needs will be met.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics