Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Pressure cooker - do you have one? Do you use it?

sarahd

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 8:57 am
I have the opportunity to buy a good pressure cooker for half off the normal price. I was going to do it, but then my SIL told me she has one, she used it for 2-3 years and now she can't be bothered with it - it's more trouble than it's worth.

Does anyone have a pressure cooker, still use it and enjoy it? Should I spend $70 on one?

Seraph

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:00 am
I have one, I love it, and I use it so much that I want another one to be parve (my current one is fleishig).
I use mine for cooking beans, rice, pupiks, potatoes, chicken soup, steaming vegetables, any other soups, and any time I want to make a food quickly.

sped

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:00 am
Where can you get one for that price? Is it really top of the line? I have been thinking about getting one for myself, and need to start looking into it seriously.

Roses4me

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:02 am
I find it quite useful for certain things I want done quickly..expecially with shabbos prep. I dont use it every week, but find it handy when u dont have much time or need to cook part of a multiple step recipe

the only issue I have (maybe because I dont have so much experience with it yet) is that lately it hasnt been sealing properly...and now I have to find time to go find out why...

bubby

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:05 am
I just ordered a new one. I don't use it frequently, but it's very useful: when I make soup I like to use navy beans. 20 mins in the pressure cooker v. 5 HOURS to get them soft. You can make delicious steamed puddings too!

farfromhome

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:22 am
I use mine every week to make chicken soup for shabbos - an hour and a half and it tastes like it has been cooking all night! I used to use it for other things - steamed vegetables etc but I havent in a while..

sarahd

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:27 am
sped wrote:
Where can you get one for that price? Is it really top of the line? I have been thinking about getting one for myself, and need to start looking into it seriously.

One of the supermarkets here has an offer - collect 60 stickers (1 sticker per $10 purchase) and they will sell you a whole array of pots and pans for 70% off retail price. They claim that the pots are top of the line - have you ever heard of Thomas by Rosenthal?

Should I collect stickers for you? I already have more than 60 for myself and have till January to collect some more.

Levtov

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:36 am
Definitely worth to own. Don't use it steady, but any meat or soup cooks in 20 minutes after boiling up. Use your regular recipe. Ask for instructions from somebody that has it already. Good luck

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:08 am
sarahd, I'd definitely go for it. I've got 4--meaty, milky, pesach meaty, pesach milky. (I use milky ones for beans, potatoes). The most important thing is to make sure you feel comfortable with the sealing mechanism. If possible I'd go for a larger model as you're supposed to leave some room to the top (esp if you're doing the beans). It makes so much difference for beans, cuts of inexpensive meat, root vegetables.
Elana, you should probably get a replacement rubber ring, if you have troubles sealing it.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:21 am
I've heard the newer ones don't explode like the old ones do. Still need babysitting though.

SnowPea

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:23 am
I have one, I can't say that I use all the time, but I definetly do use it, especially when making soups and want it to go quick, it's also great for making chickpeas in.
Good Luck!!

momomany

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:41 am
I use mine at least once a week. Its great for soups, quick suppers, soft,soft meats etc. I have 1 for Pesach too. Make sure to only get a stainless steel one. The other are reallt tough to clean.

dilego

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 12:08 pm
I use my duromatic all the time,but I would be nervous with any others.

sarahd

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:50 pm
Why? Do they tend to explode?

ruth

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 5:38 pm
sarahd wrote:
Why? Do they tend to explode?
the OLD fashion one's didn't have the pressure release valves.

I bought my pressure cooker when I was teen. I never had a problem -- I read the simple instructions. Occassionally you will need to replace a simple and inexpensive part (rubber lid ring or safety valve plug)
Mine is stainless steel. the price is dependant upon the size. I keep mine parve and use it often through out the week. I have even kashered it for pesach sometimes, that's how indespensible it is for me.

You will learn about adjusting cooking time by reading the manual. Sometimes you let the pressure drop upon its own accord, but for some items that could over cook (carrots) you cool the cooker under cool tap water.

I am on a tight budget now, but I would seriously consider buying another for basar when the budget allows it.

momomany

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 7:16 pm
Quote:
cool the cooker under cool tap water.

mine have a button to press to release the pressure so that you don't have to shlep the heavy pot to the sink - some have a button that you need to continually press till all the steam is released, others just have a thingie you push to the side so that you can walk away while the steam releases
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics