Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Which MAGAZINES do you read??
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 10:09 am
you are right, most of the stuff is pretty ok in readers digest. However, once I in was in someones house, and I picked up the readers digest (in the bathroom, of course) and I noticed one of the articles was torn out. I can not remember the topic, but it was something a little bit juicy that I guess the mother did not want her or her children to read.

The standards of what is ok in the outside world and what is ok in the frum world are so different and get more different everyday.

I get mishpacha, nshei chabad. Sometimes I get things like newsweek or r digest if travelling. We also have a lot of home magazines. I used to get N Jewish parenting but then I moved and they stopped publishing, although now they seem to have restarted. (Coincidentally, I think the editor is also a lubavitcher named Yael - don't think it's our own yael though!)

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 10:14 am
Good Housekeeping, Lucky, N'shei Chabad if I remember to buy it.
We get catalogues from Lands End and The Company Store, sometimes Eddie Bauer.
I also get the odd pregnancy/parenting magazine for free.
And this one is crazy: somehow we ended up with a free subscription to 'Teen People' which gets thrown out.
We also get the San Diego Jewish Journal and the Jewish Press.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:05 pm
The only paid subscription we get are the Mishpacha (I live every week for it) and the jewsih observer.

My mother picks up the weekend Hamodia for me for free at the courthouse, and I usually pick up whatver free magazines there are like Mothers helper and the Torah Times.

Oh yea, and when I'm prego I subcribe to the baby talk magazine.

soonamommy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:23 pm
Reader's Digest isn't as clean as its reputed to be anymore. The ads are probably the worst part, but the articles aren't that clean either.

We get the Hamodia (I enjoy the magazine section), occasionally the Mishpacha.

LisaS

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:42 pm
NATURAL JEWISH PARENTING - I highly recommend it.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:48 pm
I also, once in a while, get cosmopolitain, but we keep it in our bedroom, in my drawer so no guests will see it, ever.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:55 pm
What is natural jewish parenting?

roza

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 1:26 am
Did you see this weekly magazine for women " Binah"? It also comes with magazine for children called "Binah bunch".

We got a free issue from school(promotion) and it's look not so bad, for weekly. What do you think?

mumof1

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 2:32 am
I read people, in touch, us weekly, cosmo,glamour, vogue, elle
real simple is great
btw if u subscribe and do not buy it at the newstand u save a ton of $$

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 2:52 am
roza wrote:
Did you see this weekly magazine for women " Binah"? It also comes with magazine for children called "Binah bunch".

We got a free issue from school(promotion) and it's look not so bad, for weekly. What do you think?

I've been getting it here from the Kollel store and think it is really well done for the genre.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 2:59 am
Sonniboni wrote:
What is natural jewish parenting?

http://www.natural-jewish-parenting.com

Definitely not just for natural types, despite the name. It is for all Jewish parents.

Anonymous because of self-promotion. 8)

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 3:02 pm
I LOVE binah!!! this week they had a full spread on infertility.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 3:12 pm
Natural Jewish Parenting had two special sections devoted to infertility and pregnancy loss, in issues 11 & 12.

rise above

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 3:58 pm
I just put in a subscription for natural jewish parenting.
hope it's worth it Smile

amother

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 5:02 pm
rise above wrote:
hope it's worth it Smile

If you read it and decide it is indeed worth it, would you report back here and tell everyone? Very Happy

leomom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 5:35 pm
Natural Jewish Parenting is definitely worth it!!! Thumbs Up

greatfulmom

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 2:38 pm
Same here Mindy, I'm really enjoying Binah.

The only problem, I read it too fast, and then I have to wait till next Monday for the next issue. Anything else u enjoy?

rise above

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
rise above wrote:
hope it's worth it Smile

If you read it and decide it is indeed worth it, would you report back here and tell everyone? Very Happy

I read only about half of it, and so far it is worth it!
I'm not a mom yet, and still found the articles really interesting.

ny21

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 4:05 pm
I read the jp

Last edited by ny21 on Thu, Jan 03 2013, 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

bandcm

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 6:01 pm
I find the Reader´s Digest clean enough, which pictures are we referring to? Ads? I didn´t notice.
My husband doesn´t read English very well, so he doesn´t even look at it, and my kids are too young. Maybe when they´re older I´ll rethink.
Not that I buy it - my grandmother gives me subscriptions.
We don´t have any subscriptions, because nothing will come to where we live, and neither of us is a fluent Portuguese reader!
I just ordered a Nshei Chabad Newsletter subscription, though, and my husband gets the Dvar Malchus, which is not a magazine, but it comes through the door.
My parents get the Kfar Chabad, Nshei Chabad Newsletter and something girly and silly for my sisters - I think it´s called Shoshana or something.
For news and views, we have the internet!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room