Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama's Grandmother Passes Away
1  2  3  Next

bubby

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:54 pm
Obama's grandmother died earlier today, the person he called "a typical white woman." So now he doesn't have to pretend any more. For her sake, at least she doesn't have to have the shame of her einikel's destruction of this country if G-d forbid he wins tomorrow.

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:55 pm

Last edited by supermama2 on Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:56 pm
ops

Last edited by supermama2 on Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:56 pm
I'm sorry for him to lose a loved one during such a busy time of his life. It must be very difficult.

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:57 pm
Thank you Crayon for you limitless compassion, it's inspiring. I have a hard time seeing through your eyes on this but you could be right.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:01 pm
bubby wrote:
Obama's grandmother died earlier today, the person he called "a typical white woman." So now he doesn't have to pretend any more. For her sake, at least she doesn't have to have the shame of her einikel's destruction of this country if G-d forbid he wins tomorrow.

Look, I love my grandmother. However, she still has the prejudices of her time. She's kind and funny. She loves me. She's a great cook. But she grew up in 1920's and 1930's America. She thinks black people are ignorant and lazy. She would refer to one of my friends as a "chink." She refers to Jews as kikes. She shares the failings of her age.

Obama clearly loved his despite this, because, without fanfare, he stopped his campaign to go visit her when she was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. He loved his grandmother as I loved mine--with an understanding that we are human, flawed and products of the age in which we grow up.

Poor woman, she won't get to see her grandson make history. Baruch dayan ha emet.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:31 pm
he's lucky he's not a frum Jew; he wouldnt be able to go to his own victory party tomorrow if he was one...

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:32 pm
Wait -for a grandmother????

soldat

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:33 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
he's lucky he's not a frum Jew; he wouldnt be able to go to his own victory party tomorrow if he was one...

why? its his grandmother not his mom.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:36 pm
according to what I know, the week that one's parent sits shiva, one has strict halachos- I.e. no music etc.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:40 pm
BDE!

soldat

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:41 pm
interesting!
I never heard that or saw it in my family, when my great grandparents passed away, my parents never seemed to do any of that.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:43 pm
Honestly, I thought this subject would have been off-limits to rude pettiness. Sadly, I was mistaken. I feel for someone losing his beloved grandmother at what should be such a happy and exciting time in his life.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
according to what I know, the week that one's parent sits shiva, one has strict halachos- I.e. no music etc.

That is certainly not halacha.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:07 pm
SarahO. wrote:
Thank you Crayon for you limitless compassion, it's inspiring. I have a hard time seeing through your eyes on this but you could be right.

You have a hard time feeling bad for someone who lost a loved one? shock

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:19 pm
maybe it's just a chasidishe chumra.
I do feel sorry for him, it's hard when such an exciting time is overshadowed by something so sad. he cant mourn properly nor celebrate properly; it's not easy. may we all know of simchos only.

anon

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:44 pm
Why is everyone assuming that he's going to be celebrating tomorrow and "making history"?

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:50 pm
Come on. We all know Obama's most likely going to win.

anon

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:52 pm
It ain't over until the fat lady sings (now where did that expression come from?).

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:53 pm
I don't feel compassion for obama. I don't know the guy, don't necessarily like the guy, and people's grandmas pass all the time.

I can't say I feel sad every time that I hear that somebodys grandmother passed on. Such is the circle of life, I guess. So why dafka feel bad for a guy I don't know and who I'm hearing all kinds of freaky things about anyway?

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics