Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama's Grandmother Passes Away
Previous  1  2  3

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:30 pm
Quote:
Quite the contrary, I think this is very serious and that the country is in for a "rude" awakening a few months from now.

How do you know this for sure? Are you a 'neviah'? Nobody could know anything, and only time will tell. What will you say if in a few months we see he turned out to be the best president yet, who completely fixed the economy, made world peace etc. etc.?? What will all the dooms sayers say then?

(and btw, I'm not an Obama supporter, neither am I a Mcain supporter. I will daven that everything should be good for everyone regardless of who wins)

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:33 pm
Mrs. XYZ your post sounded great but the blk and white is that Obama favors Hitler in his actions, words and company... I don't know how this is going to be good but I admire your praying for the best to be so.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:35 pm
SarahO. wrote:
Mrs. XYZ your post sounded great but the blk and white is that Obama favors Hitler in his actions, words and company... I don't know how this is going to be good but I admire your praying for the best to be so.
And here I thought we could end on a nice note, but we're back to Hitler. Hitler's grandma died today. Great.

Mrs. XYZ, thank you for that nice post. I hoped yours would be the last one here.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:39 pm
I'm a lot sadder tonight about the passing of a williamsburg philanthropist at the age of 59. who leaves his wife a widow for the 2nd time and his kids orphans for the 2nd time... his first wife died a while ago... I could just cry... he had a kid with his 2nd wife who is now an orphan too...

entropy

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:18 am
I'm an Obama supporter and I don't care too much about this particular death (We should all be so blessed to have a long life and accomplished offspring!) but I do cynically wonder:

1) How will Obama gracefully juggle mourning/elections over the next few days?
2) Will last-minute compassion swing some votes over to Obama?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:19 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm a lot sadder tonight about the passing of a williamsburg philanthropist at the age of 59. who leaves his wife a widow for the 2nd time and his kids orphans for the 2nd time... his first wife died a while ago... I could just cry... he had a kid with his 2nd wife who is now an orphan too...

Oy that is so sad Mama Bear.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:21 am
gold21 wrote:
I don't feel compassion for obama. I don't know the guy, don't necessarily like the guy, and people's grandmas pass all the time.

I can't say I feel sad every time that I hear that somebodys grandmother passed on. Such is the circle of life, I guess. So why dafka feel bad for a guy I don't know and who I'm hearing all kinds of freaky things about anyway?

I can feel bad for someone I don't know and like even if the person who passed away is 1,000 years old.

I'm not sad. Feeling compassion or sympathy for someone is not the same thing as feeling sad.

elf123

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:14 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:
elf123 wrote:
anon wrote:
Why is everyone assuming that he's going to be celebrating tomorrow and "making history"?

anon wrote:
It ain't over until the fat lady sings (now where did that expression come from?).

bubby wrote:
So let there be the biggest failure of the polling system. I should care about that? G-d help us if he wins. Of course, I had better not say anything in case I'm accused of being a racist.

G-d help us all, and I have been literally losing sleep over this, but it looks like, barring a miracle (which we can obviously hope for) Barack Obama will be our next president. Someone said to me, well if he is elected, all of the people who (blindly? naively? deludedly?) voted for him will get what they deserve. Problem is, we who DON'T vote for him will ALSO get the same punishment...By the way, I'm sorry his grandmother died but that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with politics or the election...it's part of human life.

You know, I voted for Obama after careful thought, consideration and deliberation. I assume McCain voters did the same. Kindly grant me the same courtesy.

Elf, the bit in bold is what made me angry. I value civic participation and my right to vote, and I thought good and hard about who I gave it to. I'm a politics junkie. I follow the news rather obsessively. At the end of the day, in my analysis, after long thought and research, Obama, in my view, is the better man for the job. Respect me enough to assume I am neither naiive nor blind nor deluded.

Okay, you are not personally naiive nor blind nor deluded. Neither is every single person voting for Obama. But you will not convince me that the majority (anything over 51%) of the public who are voting for him are politics junkies, obsessive newshounds, or as thoughtful and well-researched as you are. So if they are not naiive, blind and deluded, they are certainly not as well-informed as you are. And some of them are unfortunately voting for him because they have been fooled by him and the media. You cannot convince me I'm wrong.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:18 pm
elf123 wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:
elf123 wrote:
anon wrote:
Why is everyone assuming that he's going to be celebrating tomorrow and "making history"?

anon wrote:
It ain't over until the fat lady sings (now where did that expression come from?).

bubby wrote:
So let there be the biggest failure of the polling system. I should care about that? G-d help us if he wins. Of course, I had better not say anything in case I'm accused of being a racist.

G-d help us all, and I have been literally losing sleep over this, but it looks like, barring a miracle (which we can obviously hope for) Barack Obama will be our next president. Someone said to me, well if he is elected, all of the people who (blindly? naively? deludedly?) voted for him will get what they deserve. Problem is, we who DON'T vote for him will ALSO get the same punishment...By the way, I'm sorry his grandmother died but that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with politics or the election...it's part of human life.

You know, I voted for Obama after careful thought, consideration and deliberation. I assume McCain voters did the same. Kindly grant me the same courtesy.

Elf, the bit in bold is what made me angry. I value civic participation and my right to vote, and I thought good and hard about who I gave it to. I'm a politics junkie. I follow the news rather obsessively. At the end of the day, in my analysis, after long thought and research, Obama, in my view, is the better man for the job. Respect me enough to assume I am neither naiive nor blind nor deluded.

Okay, you are not personally naiive nor blind nor deluded. Neither is every single person voting for Obama. But you will not convince me that the majority (anything over 51%) of the public who are voting for him are politics junkies, obsessive newshounds, or as thoughtful and well-researched as you are. So if they are not naiive, blind and deluded, they are certainly not as well-informed as you are. And some of them are unfortunately voting for him because they have been fooled by him and the media. You cannot convince me I'm wrong.

Fine, then give me one good reason why I shouldn't assume the same of McCain voters?

sky

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:30 pm
Clarissa wrote:
If McCain is 72, how could he have a 92 year old grandmother?

Your right. It was too early in the morning to be posting. She would have to 112 (around). I'd also be pretty shocked.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:32 pm
I saw his mother at the convention, she looked amazing. So maybe there really is a Granny McCain out there.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:33 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I saw his mother at the convention, she looked amazing. So maybe there really is a Granny McCain out there.

Yeah, I don't know what DNA is kicking around in that family, but those are some GOOD genes.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 12:36 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
gold21 wrote:
I don't feel compassion for obama. I don't know the guy, don't necessarily like the guy, and people's grandmas pass all the time.

I can't say I feel sad every time that I hear that somebodys grandmother passed on. Such is the circle of life, I guess. So why dafka feel bad for a guy I don't know and who I'm hearing all kinds of freaky things about anyway?

I can feel bad for someone I don't know and like even if the person who passed away is 1,000 years old.

I'm not sad. Feeling compassion or sympathy for someone is not the same thing as feeling sad.
Exactly. Sometimes I get a notice from the shul about somebody's grandparent or parent dying, and the person is in his or her 90's. That's a good, long life. But I sympathize with the person going through the loss, even if I don't get personally sad about the death. My father died at 78, not a young man, but my heart is still broken, because he was wonderful, and my dad.

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 1:08 am
Mama Bear wrote:
maybe it's just a chasidishe chumra.

Its not a chassidishe chumra afaik.

I feel like crayon does on this, you said it well.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics