Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
When do you set the table for shabbos?
Previous  1  2

Mimisinger

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:54 am
I never even hard of doing it until right before shabbos. I guess this is one more thing I could try and aspire to, but I don't think I'm going to try that hard right now. Being that we have one table and ds pulls EVERYTHING off the table already.

Pizza

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 11:01 am
I try to teach my kids to do shabbos jobs from an early age. Table setting is one they can do from about 4 years old and on, in increments.

4 years old can do the spoons and napkins.
5 years old also does forks and the childrens' settings
6 years old also does challa board & cover, and kiddush cup
etc etc

My 8 and 14 year old girls usually set the table either right before shabbos, or when the men are in shul. My 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy usually set the table shabbos morning, since they get up before anyone else.

I sometimes have to put up with napkins that I dont think 'go' with the meal, but its a small price to pay...

MiracleMama

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 12:21 pm
I don't know why, but things get dusty very fast here. If I set my table Thursday night it would be a little dusty already by the time we sat down to eat... so I never even thought to do this. I usually do it Friday afternoon.

karen berzon

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:51 pm
Friday late afternoon. The kids in Israel come home from school at about 12 on Friday and no matter how neat and clean the house, it ends up needing a clean up again right before Shabbos. I don't like to set the table until everything else around is neat and clean.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:59 pm
I used to set the table while dh was in shul friday night. Now it doesn't get set until dh comes home from shul. We have to do it right b/f we eat otherwise ds pulls off the tablecloth with everything on it.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 3:10 pm
Thursday night even though I'm usually home on Fridays. I like to wake up Friday morning and be relaxed and seeing that my house looks like it's getting ready for shabbos--even if there are toys everywhere and no food is prepared--puts me at ease and in the shabbos mindset.
I don't put out silverware and dishes until right before my husband comes home from shul because my little guy will pull it right off the table but I've already taught him not to pull on the tablecloth--so I put on the tablecloth and the challah board and a vase of flowers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note