Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Is it a bizayon (kind of disgrace) for Shabbos...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Is it a bizayon?
Yes  
 8%  [ 3 ]
No  
 60%  [ 21 ]
Not sure  
 31%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 35

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 5:49 pm
We often make extra meatballs so that the kids can have it for lunch on Friday.
Usually no shabbat foods for Thursday as we have a custom of not doing meaty
on Thursday night.

Anyway, it reminded me of that "I made a little challah" song in the kiddie shabbat service:
"I don't know how it happened, but it looked so very nice
I had a little nibble, and I took a little slice
And soon before I knew it, the cupboard shelf was bare
So I baked another quickly, and this one I shall share..."

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 6:24 pm
Just b/c something is easy or convenient, doesn't mean it's appropriate.

If kids are hungry early, that's what bagels, cold cereal, cottage cheese, and frozen pizza are for !

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 7:32 pm
As I cook for shabbos on friday, this is generally not a question for me. However, I would serve the soup on thursday, if it was ready, but w/o lukshen or knaidel-those would be saved for shabbos.

I would consider it a bizayon to serve the chicken thursday, cuz there is no comparison to chicken fresh from the oven. so if you are serving that thursday, it cant taste near as good reheated on friday. (my chicken goes into the oven 2 hours before shabbos)

cassandra

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 7:38 pm
It feels weird to me and I don't do it. Even when I make a soup or something that I intend to use throughout the week I use it first on Shabbos.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 7:41 pm
I hardly eat meaty during the week - except for friday's leftovers on sunday ...

shabbos food should be special ... and food to me taste best freshly made ... then again I never cook thursday for shabbos either ... I know how I cook so no need to taste the food ... I don't make cholent so there would be nothing new ...

we look forward to shabbos meal as something delectable - not something we treat as leftovers ...

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 7:47 pm
in fact I never eat during the week chicken soup, roast chicken, kugel, gefilta fish and cholent. those are all "shabbos" foods to me. I know chicken is easy and cheap but I know I would be sick of it if I made it during the week. I already eat it shabbos and if we have leftovers. if I make chicken during the week it is ground chicken or chicken breast.

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:03 pm
Quote:
I think deliberately making double of something special so there's enough for Thursday is bizayon to some extent. Did Yosef Mokir Shabbos buy enough fish for Thursday too?

Thank you, Shalhevet, this is what I was thinking. I always tell my kids that whenever we have special food we save it for Shabbos. So I feel funny doing this.

The difference is that I don't make more than I was going to and use the extras for Shabbos. But the things I know I will have extras of, I take off a bit for Thursday. I can't imagine that that would be a problem. For example, I almost always make a huge coleslaw, so I planned a Thursday night dinner that would go well with coleslaw also. Or let's say I'm making two kugels in 9x13 pans and I know I don't need all that food for Shabbos, so a few pieces will go to the kids Thursday night if they've finished eating what I had in mind for them and still seem hungry.

Quote:
GR, Funny, I do the exactly the opposite to you. I make too much Shabbos food on purpose so that I don't have to cook on Sundays

mummy-bh, I used to do that until I realized I was stressing myself out, not over Shabbos but over Sunday, which was still a few days away. I realized how silly the whole thing was for the stress it was causing me and starting making some less Shabbos food, ie. one less salad and one less kugel. Guess what, we still have some leftovers for Sunday so dinner's much easier on me anyway then.

Quote:
And I echo what drumjj said - aren't there any foods at all that you make special for Shabbos, like cholent?

Of course! If I make let's say 10 things for Shabbos, we'll eat from 2 or 3 of them Thursday night.

We don't look at Shabbos food as leftovers, no way. These foods are for Shabbos, and I only make them for Shabbos. But since I'm working Thursday for Shabbos and need supper for that night too, I just wanted to take some off.

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:06 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:
I think deliberately making double of something special so there's enough for Thursday is bizayon to some extent. Did Yosef Mokir Shabbos buy enough fish for Thursday too?

Thank you, Shalhevet, this is what I was thinking. I always tell my kids that whenever we have special food we save it for Shabbos. So I feel funny doing this.

The difference is that I don't make more than I was going to and use the extras for Shabbos. But the things I know I will have extras of, I take off a bit for Thursday. I can't imagine that that would be a problem. For example, I almost always make a huge coleslaw, so I planned a Thursday night dinner that would go well with coleslaw also. Or let's say I'm making two kugels in 9x13 pans and I know I don't need all that food for Shabbos, so a few pieces will go to the kids Thursday night if they've finished eating what I had in mind for them and still seem hungry.

Quote:
GR, Funny, I do the exactly the opposite to you. I make too much Shabbos food on purpose so that I don't have to cook on Sundays

mummy-bh, I used to do that until I realized I was stressing myself out, not over Shabbos but over Sunday, which was still a few days away. I realized how silly the whole thing was for the stress it was causing me and starting making some less Shabbos food, ie. one less salad and one less kugel. Guess what, we still have some leftovers for Sunday so dinner's much easier on me anyway then.

Quote:
And I echo what drumjj said - aren't there any foods at all that you make special for Shabbos, like cholent?

Of course! If I make let's say 10 things for Shabbos, we'll eat from 2 or 3 of them Thursday night.

We don't look at Shabbos food as leftovers, no way. These foods are for Shabbos, and I only make them for Shabbos. But since I'm working Thursday for Shabbos and need supper for that night too, I just wanted to take some off.

I agree too!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:07 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe ask your mashpia. Maybe you should m ake less for Shabbos so you can have a regular Thursday night dinner.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:09 pm
you're confusing me now ... which way is it ... Scratching Head a bizayon or good enough to eat some on thursday ...

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:09 pm
We do have a regular Thursday night dinner. I wrote that in my posts.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 9:10 pm
But you use some of the Shabbos food.

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:09 pm
I think I've answered my own question. Thanks everyone, I have more clarity now.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 2:45 pm
Wasnt there a topic about men going out on thurs to eat cholent?

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 3:07 pm
I did think of that as well, brooklyn.

I decided in the end that it's no big deal to take some Shabbos food if necessary but I shouldn't plan a dinner around doing that in advance. I think the planning to do it that way is a bizayon for Shabbos, but not the taking off some food if I really have to.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 3:19 pm
Shabbos food officially served on Thurs. night seems strange to me. Tastes of shnitzel or whatever as it comes out of the pan or oven seems different. Friday sometimes DH makes a small potato kugel for tastes before shul, or in summertime sometimes we all have small taste-bowls of cholent. Thurs. night I make macaroni and cheese with cut-up red peppers, with maybe a plain Thurs. night cake, which isn't Shabbos cake.

I think if it's just part of the meal, and the Thurs. night meal looks very different in general from a Shabbos seuda, it's not taking away from the special Shabbos atmosphere.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 3:22 pm
I wouldn't say falafel, pita, and french fries look anything like my Shabbos meal, no.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 3:25 pm
I had a classmates whose entire family adored tuna, so they saved it for Shabbos, when they brought out a giant fancy tuna platter.

anonymom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 9:54 pm
Sometimes on Thursday I'm so involved cooking for Shabbos, that's the only choice for dinner. Or when I make a big pot of chicken soup to divide up and freeze (usually on Tues or Wed) I cook some rice to go with it and that is supper.

Consider the freshness. If you're cooking on Thursday, Sunday is 3 whole days later. I would rather eat it on Thursday & Shabbos than Shabbos (2 days later) and Sunday

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 10:26 pm
Yup and yup. Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics