Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book club on imamother
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ahuva

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 2:14 pm
I purchase lots of used books for great prices on abebooks.com

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 2:42 pm
I get mine on hold from the library.

technic

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 3:54 pm
carrot wrote:
I've got it! One section for Jewish books, one section for non-Jewish books, and one section for controversies about the other two sections. You know, I say it's a Jewish book, you say it's not... Banging head

carrot u SOOOOOOO get it!!!! Yes

roza

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:46 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
roza, did you read Mind over Matter? it's newly translated from the Heb. edition, written by, could it be Professor branover? I think it's about Science and Torah.

I did not read it, but I found it on chabad.org http://www.chabad.org/library/.....11581

thanks, I put it on my pocket pc , will read it.

Now, of cause there can be sections for jewish and, lehavdil, non-jewish books [and argument over both :>].

Chani

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:55 pm
I read probably 3-4 books a week. I pass them on to a friend who's a labor and delivery nurse at a big hospital. She takes them to the hospital, and they are given to patients who are looking for something to read.

Right now I'm working my way through all of Jane Austen...

Yael

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:07 pm
great idea!
one day when we have sub-categories (hopefully sooner than later), we can add lots more sections. for now I think we have too many categories as it is.

roza

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 11:16 pm
Thank you, Yael =>

imale

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 5:07 am
Great idea. Count me in!
I would love to get some good referrals. because I absolutely hate wasting my nights on stupid books!

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 5:12 am
Quote:
cindy324 wrote:
Technic Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

The sad part is you're so right!

Wink

suomynona

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 6:17 am
Chani wrote:
Right now I'm working my way through all of Jane Austen...

Just read Northanger Abbey last week.
The only one I really liked of hers was Pride & Prejudice.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 10:38 am
imale wrote:
Great idea. Count me in!
I would love to get some good referrals. because I absolutely hate wasting my nights on stupid books!

"The Lovely Bones" is an incredible book. I think it was on the bestsellers list for over a year.

I like anything by Jodi Picoult, and a good way to find good books is to check out Oprah's book club. I've read some amazing books on that list.

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 12:27 pm
I just read a very interesting (a little stange), fictional story called "The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank" by Ellen Feldman.
Before that, I read "The Miracle Next Door" by Malka Adler and
Yona T. Yacobowicz. (I have a page about it on my choir website http://www.kolrina.2ya.com/- you have to click on the picture of the band: Tofa'ah)
DK

amother

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 10:45 pm
SaraG wrote:
I read 4-6 books a week.

are they kiddie books or something, because I dont see how you have the time to read reg. sized books if you're always on this site!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 10:12 am
Anonymous, I would tell you how, if you tell me who you are!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 10:16 am
It's possible to read this much!
I've read 2 books this week (each were about 300 pages), and I'll probably finish at least one more this shabbos.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 10:48 am
I would love to post, but I do not care for the Judge and Jury that exists here, telling me what's goyische and what's not appropriate...

Certainly not if it's coming from an anonymous poster!

chen

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 11:28 am
technic wrote:
roza I actually think this is a TERRIFIC idea but dont do it - I can already c how it will go - "how abt xxxxx???" "no, bcos in it somebody ate a pepperoni pizza"....."how abt xxxxx?????" "no, bcos in it someone only kept 612 mitzvot"!!!! Twisted Evil

laughing so hard I'm alarming the neighbors!

But hey, it's not only frum ppl who have these hangups. we had a staunchly Conservative vegetarian friend who would not allow anyone to say the word "hamburger" or "frankfurter" in her house. you had to say "veggie burger" or "soy burger" or "veggie frank" (or was it "veggie furter?"). You also weren't allowed to say the D-word (divorce), you had to say "split up" or "dissolving".

--Say, did you know Nick and Jessica are dissolving?
--No kidding? what are they standing in--a vat of acid?

chen

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 11:34 am
Mommy912 wrote:
What do you all do with books that you finish? I keep them all, but my bookshelves are overflowing.

If I don't have a friend to give them to, I give them to either the public library or Goodwill.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 11:35 am
A little off topic, but one time I was reading the book, "Green Eggs and Ham" to a kid I was babysitting. Everytime I said "Ham" he said, "No! It's green eggs and LAMB!"

professor

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 11:50 pm
do you REread books? I'm in the middle of re reading 'Atlas Shrugged' for the third time, for example. (it's a non jewish- very non jewish book so I can't recommend it embarrassed )
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room