Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dear frum man at grocery store
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:11 pm
On 2 occasions I was on line in the grocery. A little girl in front of me didn't have enough money to pay for the groceries her mother sent her to buy. Without thinking twice I took out cash and paid for the remainder. I imagined this is my daughter and how embarrassed this little girl feels now and how I would want my daughter to be treated.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:44 pm
There was once or twice I was trying to find the last dollar needed when I was a girl an when the person behind me insisted on paying I just felt like a nebach. I dont want to accept your money im fine. At least one time the person payed because they were in a rush and didnt want to wait, those times I felt the worse

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:02 am
Wow, this is one thread that’s more than two pages that I read in its entirety, because it’s so beautiful! BH for an uplifting thread!

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:56 am
My husband was in rehab for a couple months and my large lawn was overgrown(we do it ourselves because it's expensive) Unfortunately my husband had to take a leave from work and didn't receive disability in time.
I called up a Jewish company(who we used 2 years before) and asked if they can come. I mentioned my husband usually does the lawn and he's been out. He sent his guys over quickly and when I asked where to send payment - he said take care of yourself, I'm not accepting payment.
I sat there crying. I still cry when I think about it.
What a beautiful nation I get to be part of.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 1:21 am
Years ago, Mommy3b2c gave me a very warm winter coat she wasn’t using when we really had no money and I needed a proper coat.
We are now considered wealthy, and I just can’t let go of it. I still wear it every winter.

Ps. Over the years I have donated a ton of very good quality clothing and shoes to people who I know need it.

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 1:34 am
Thank you to the woman whom hosted my engagement party, when my parents weren't in the picture. She took me dress shopping, bought cookies and cake, and then made a big beautiful party for me and my handful of guests. It should be a zechut for her forever

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:21 am
I was once at the misrad hapanim in Jerusalem with my aunt and uncle and it was a long wait so my uncle left.

It comes our turn and it turns out that I had over stayed my visa. Unfortunately my auntie didn't have enough cash. Bh I don't know how it worked out cause I was to young to notice but someone who was also there paid for it.

I don't remember how much it was or who he was but it was really nice of him.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:45 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
A few years ago I was in gourmet glatt madison, my card was declined. A few times. I knew it will, I was just hoping by some miracle it would work. We were in a very bad place at that time (bh now we are way better).
The man behind me saw what was happening and in the most chilled out way possible told the cashier “ I will pay for it on my account”. He had some account in the store I guess. I couldn’t believe it ! He then turned to me, and told me I’m sure your card is declining because of fraud or the like. Feel free to pay me whenever, and if you can’t get thru just give it to tzedaka, he gave me a piece of paper with his “number”. husband reached out to him later that evening to thank him and to make up where he can meet him to pay him - the number was a fake number.
I went to the bathroom and for the first time in my life I cried because someone cared about my situation that much. There really are hidden Tzaddikim.

Over the years, I've read numerous similar stories, here, in magazines... and always wonder 'are they really true?'

Recently, my married daughter was in a grocery with kids, with full shopping cart, at checkout she tried swiping her food stamps card but didnt work, was looking for another card, and a guy just takes out his credit card and hands it to cashier.

When she was telling me over the story, I laughed and said "you're sure you're not reading it from a magazine?"

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 4:13 am
tweety1 wrote:
On 2 occasions I was on line in the grocery. A little girl in front of me didn't have enough money to pay for the groceries her mother sent her to buy. Without thinking twice I took out cash and paid for the remainder. I imagined this is my daughter and how embarrassed this little girl feels now and how I would want my daughter to be treated.

Yeah same. Kids whose cards are declined etc.

English3

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 4:45 am
My mother lives near a school. She saw a mother struggling to get her little daughter to go inside. She was tantruming and my mother felt bad for the poor mother. She went over and handed the little girl two pounds to buy herself a treat after school. My mother said it was such an easy chessed and the little girl was so happy.

Before my chasuna my parents were really tight in parnassa. A week before my chasuna a cousin called me and asked me what's missing. I had no groceries in my apartment. I didn't have some electrical appliances and some furniture. She bought all that plus a nice bedroom set including initial towels. Just to make me happy.

After I gave birth to my twins my mothers friend single handly raised three months worth of night nurses so that my recovery should be smooth. Many of my friends donated a night.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:27 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
Thank you to the woman whom hosted my engagement party, when my parents weren't in the picture. She took me dress shopping, bought cookies and cake, and then made a big beautiful party for me and my handful of guests. It should be a zechut for her forever

I am an orphan and someone took over absolutely every aspect of my wedding preparation as if she was my mother. Bought everything for my home, set it up, took me shopping, everything, even gave me personal advice and made sure I had the things only a mother could think of. More than a decade later I am still using everything she got me. She allowed me to go through getting married without feeling alone. She collected money so I could not worry about any of the expenses, when my side of the family basically didn't exist. And even more so - she respected my boundaries, knowing she wasn't my mother, and made sure I knew I didn't owe her anything. And I wasn't treated like I was poor either. It was like she stepped into my mother's shoes when I needed her, and stepped back out again when I didn't anymore.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:55 am
Thank you so much to all of you who shared stories. I have been feeling a little down lately and reading about such people doing this ''Quiet ''Chessed is uplifting for me. May all those who gave in the past have Bracha and Hatzlacha.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 6:02 am
My wonderful husband gave choson lessons free of charge to a local choson. Then he found out who is taking the choson shopping (parents are out the picture apparently) and gave them a few hundred dollars for the chosons requirements, without the choson knowing.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 6:05 am
There is a local family that have been receiving meals every single day for the past 2.5 years. Mom is unwell. The arrangement is the food to be left outside the door at a fixed time daily, ring the bell, and leave.
I joined the group to book in my day, and see that a few people have regularly been sending a weekly meal, some even anonymously!, for these past 2.5 years.
What incredible people live amongst us!

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 6:07 am
When it snows here (not often, or too heavily), my kids shovel athe neighbors path where they don't have kids at home or are too old to do themselves. It's our little secret, and my kids feel a million dollars afterwards.

Writergirl

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:03 am
amother Pear wrote:
My husband was in rehab for a couple months and my large lawn was overgrown(we do it ourselves because it's expensive) Unfortunately my husband had to take a leave from work and didn't receive disability in time.
I called up a Jewish company(who we used 2 years before) and asked if they can come. I mentioned my husband usually does the lawn and he's been out. He sent his guys over quickly and when I asked where to send payment - he said take care of yourself, I'm not accepting payment.
I sat there crying. I still cry when I think about it.
What a beautiful nation I get to be part of.

Unbelievable. Wow.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:41 am
tweety1 wrote:

I know someone that works in a grocery store and has the workers look out for kids buying nosh. If they are short they use a special "fund". In reality it's an employees account.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 8:13 am
OP, your post made me cry. I am praying for you.

This past Friday I was in target very close to Shabbos buying pampers and wipes and a few other things and my card declined. A Jewish man who I don't know came over to me and asked if he can pay for my order. Hashem, your people are so unreal. How can it be we're not redeemed yet?

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 8:59 pm
In high school, my best friend didn't start the school year with us (due to a complicated situation between a parent and the administration). A week went by and my friend was mortified -it was the talk of town. My most amazing principal called up my friend personally and told her that she was taking full responsibility and that from now on she could come to school.
I'm sure it wasn't easy to go against the administration but she took the courage to stand up for whats right and not allow innocent kids to suffer because of a parent's issues. It still makes me tear up when I think about how my friend must have felt when she got that phone call.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:33 pm
I was in toys 4 you right before purim trying to scramble together some semblance of normalcy Purim on a $0 budget when a frum lady noticed me holding pile of stuff she insisted I come to her house to get all her extra AliExpress stuff that she does not want to return ... she thanked me a million times and made me feel like I was the one who did the favor here

This is especially amazing as I am a very proper and put together person and one would never dream how needy I was at that moment

Fast forward a few months later our life started to take a turn for the better bh we were lucky enough to pay the kindness forward and anonymously give someone who was secretly struggling $1,200 right before sukkos bh
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics