Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What do yeshivish and chassidish people do in fl?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:13 am
amother Steel wrote:
I definitely hear this.
Before I got married I went to Florida a few times and loved it since it has the vacation elements with all the kosher availability.
My husband is yeshivish and would not step foot in Florida. He grew up hearing his whole life that it's pritzus...
I wish I can take a few days down there to relax with him. Very much needed. He would only go somewhere that has all the Jewish accessibility like multiple minyanim... But not Florida. But I don't know what else has such a good balance.

Arizona

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:26 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I think some people do act differently on vacation than they do at home. But anywhere really, nothing to do with Florida specifically.

Right. But Florida is practically Boro Park, especially during vacation time.
If people want to do stuff, they won't do so in Florida....

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:27 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Were yeshivish, my dh wouldn't go to FL. Or any warm beach place.

Florida doesn't equal beach. Plenty of cities are far from the beach.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:47 am
amother OP wrote:
Where can you go kayaking that’s appropriate?

Why would kayaking not be appropriate? It's just like renting the rowboats at Bear Mountain near Monsey.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:50 am
mha3484 wrote:
They don't go sorry if that sounds mean.

Plenty of yeshivish and chassidish families go to Florida, I don’t know why you think they don’t.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:50 am
Lakewood here. Two types of people who go. The yeshivish people who are careful with shemiras einayim will rent a house with a pool. They will go to minyanim and out to eat but no water activities.

Second type will relax their standards when visiting Florida. It’s not like they will go mixed swimming or dress untzniyus. But they will do water sports, maybe visit the beach, and will end up seeing stuff that people wouldn’t be comfortable in Lakewood.

In the extreme ends are the very yeshivish who consider Florida treif, and the opposite extreme who will have no problem doing water parks and mixed pool, but those are rare.

As far as acceptable venues, we have tried Miami Beach off hours, the Everglades alligator boat rides, kayaking, Ride the ducks,Fort Lauderdale, boat tours, and a bunch of other venues over the years. There is almost no where that is up to shemiras einayim standards for most yeshivalite. Some are terrible. Some are mostly ok. But you will see the occasional bikini or skimpy attire. There is just no way around it. We’ve tried. Even with temps around 70. If that’s ok by you go for it but if you want fully kosher go for the house with a secluded pool and cut the trips.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you have a link to any houses?

I have a friend who rents out kosher airbnb houses. She lives in Boca, but she might have or know of some houses in Miami. I can give you her number if you want, just message me.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:59 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Why would kayaking not be appropriate? It's just like renting the rowboats at Bear Mountain near Monsey.

Kayaking is not exactly like rowboats. If someone want to avoid pritzus, then Kayaking is not for them. People are generally in swimwear when Kayaking.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:01 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
Oh come on, who feeds you such nonsense????
Nothing happens in Florida. Florida is a state just like any other.

I don’t know what it’s like now, but when I was growing up I spent a lot of time in the hotels on Miami Beach. There were many many many chassidish women who would go to the pool or to the beach fully dressed, and then would strip down to their barely there bikini. Obviously this says nothing about the greater chassidish community at large, but it also wasn’t just a handful. There really was this idea of “what happens in Miami stays in Miami.” Again, I don’t know what it’s like now, I haven’t been there during vacation time in many years.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:01 am
We consider ourselves yeshivish. We are going to Florida, but not renting a private house/pool. Staying in hotel and won't be going swimming or to beach. This is why we are going anyways:

We need a change of scenery/weather, flights are CHEAP, there is minyanim and kosher food. That's it. We may go to the Seaquarium, science centre or other kosher activities.

But yeah, main thing is that you can't really fly anywhere else for this price and my kids really just want to go on plane, lol. That's the main part of the trip.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
So interesting. Happens to be we’re going to family and have an open day so want to do something. Where do you guys go for vacation if you don’t wanna spend as much as EY?

We are going with 200 plus other families to a fully rented out water park with separate hours, a minyan food. My kids have a lot of fun and get a change of scenery in the environment we consider ideal.

My kids classmates who don't go are mostly visiting grandparents in other cities. Some go to Arizona and a few to Florida but those are the classmates that would not call themself yeshivish. Maybe its cultural and we just see vacation differently.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:18 am
Some ideas:
Haulover park- has a lot of boats you can watch and you can rent a boat too. There is a lot of grass to run around too.
Oleta River State park- beautiful paths next to the water and has kayaks too. (People do enter the water there so need to find the quieter paths that are empty)

honey36

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:28 am
mha3484 wrote:
We are going with 200 plus other families to a fully rented out water park with separate hours, a minyan food. My kids have a lot of fun and get a change of scenery in the environment we consider ideal.

My kids classmates who don't go are mostly visiting grandparents in other cities. Some go to Arizona and a few to Florida but those are the classmates that would not call themself yeshivish. Maybe its cultural and we just see vacation differently.

Sounds cool! Can you give more info about this, or is it a closed program (like by invite only?)

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:31 am
At this point its booked but I dont think its closed as in invite only. You can PM me if you want.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:46 am
amother Steel wrote:
I definitely hear this.
Before I got married I went to Florida a few times and loved it since it has the vacation elements with all the kosher availability.
My husband is yeshivish and would not step foot in Florida. He grew up hearing his whole life that it's pritzus...
I wish I can take a few days down there to relax with him. Very much needed. He would only go somewhere that has all the Jewish accessibility like multiple minyanim... But not Florida. But I don't know what else has such a good balance.

Would he consider Orlando? No beaches, kosher food, minyanim etc and you get to be in Florida and enjoy the weather

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:12 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
Kayaking is not exactly like rowboats. If someone want to avoid pritzus, then Kayaking is not for them. People are generally in swimwear when Kayaking.

I fully respect your opinion, but I think that to say "If someone want to avoid pritzus, then Kayaking is not for them" is a pretty strong statement on a matter that is up for debate. I have never seen people where I used to live kayaking in swimwear, but maybe where you live they do and that's why you have a different opinion about it, and that's okay.

Where I used to live kayaking is the same like rowing and paddleboating. People go fully dressed and the rental place makes everyone where lifejackets, so everyone just looks like puffballs with arms lol. The Bais Yaakov girls do go kayaking there, but each community is different, and that's okay.

HOWEVER: This discussion is about Florida, which is where I now live, and I do not recommend kayaking in Florida, as the alligators are everywhere. True, most people aren't bothered by them, but personally I could never enjoy a recreational activity with such danger lurking below.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:27 pm
I went kayaking with dh. Chassidish. There wasn't a soul to be seen. Not immodestly dressed or otherwise. We stayed in a quiet area. Rented a house with a private pool. Just enjoyed the time together in the warm weather, and the conveniences of minyanim and kosher food

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:29 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I went kayaking with dh. Chassidish. There wasn't a soul to be seen. Not immodestly dressed or otherwise. We stayed in a quiet area. Rented a house with a private pool. Just enjoyed the time together in the warm weather, and the conveniences of minyanim and kosher food

ETA regarding the alligators! We were clueless until we noticed a sign warning that they may be in the area. We were quite nervous but it definitely added to the thrill! We didn't see any but I can imagine I would be really terrified if we did...

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:43 pm
Curious for those who won’t go to Florida in the winter, do your husbands come with your family on any trips when it’s warm where you live or they stay behind? The places we go in Florida I see people dressed the same way they are when we go on any family friendly summer trip in NY/NJ.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 1:07 pm
Some people also go enjoy the beach in the very early morning...quite deserted between 6 and 9 am and soooo relaxing when its quiet.
Also at night, walk along the boardwalk or sit near the waves with a drink...
So much fun.
The only things they wont do is davka go to the beach during the day. Still plenty of other things
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics