Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Haman on a Tree - Kids projects
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:40 pm
My kids have never come home with that. I agree that it’s in bad taste. I don’t think it should be skipped over but making a picture of someone being killed is not something I want my kids focusing on in detail.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:42 pm
synthy wrote:
Maybe we should stop gragering when Haman’s name is mentioned in the Megillah? Why focus on him? Let’s applaud every time Mordechai or Esther’s name is said.

You really don't see a difference between booing a bad guy and depicting a hanging for children?

For the record, I'm not saying this is wrong but I do question how this got to be the not for children.

Why not have pictures of mothers eating their babies for tisha bav projects?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
You really don't see a difference between booing a bad guy and depicting a hanging for children?

For the record, I'm not saying this is wrong but I do question how this got to be the not for children.

If this is your argument, I hear you.

But if you are going to bring misunderstood psukim and chazal as a reason to not do these crafts because it's celebrating the enemies downfall, you need to check yourself.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:45 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
It’s woke to be bothered by a child coming home with a project of haman hanging from a tree?

Yes.

Last edited by groisamomma on Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:45 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
The question is, why are you ladies so against it?

It appears to be very much a woke mentality. People hanging is yuck, but it's part of the story and the teacher brought it into the classroom in an age appropriate way. Why are you upset?

No to mention all the misunderstandings of chazal and psukim in this thread alone. What else should we make of this other than wokeism?

I have no issue with my children learning it, I just don’t want my kid coming home from school with a project. As a picture in a megilla it’s fine, but I don’t want it as a stand alone project.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:46 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I have no issue with my children learning it, I just don’t want my kid coming home from school with a project. As a picture in a megilla it’s fine, but I don’t want it as a stand alone project.

Why?

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:

We do have pictures of Pharoh drowning in the sea. Of Antioches falling off his elephant. Of Helipurnis head on a spike.

Personally I do cringe from seeing nooses and yes the culture plays a role. We live in this society, we live by it as well. Nowadays we don’t talk to kids about mom there’s dying in childbirth, it used to be common knowledge in other eras.

I don’t think it’s woke to be sensitive about nooses. It’s sensitive to the culture.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:48 pm
If this is your argument, I hear you.

But if you are going to bring misunderstood psukim and chazal as a reason to not do these crafts because it's celebrating the enemies downfall, you need to check yourself.

When did I bring in psukim or chazal? I just stated my opinion. I have not problem with celebrating the downfall of our enemies, I just think it's bizarre to make gruesome art projects for kids.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:49 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
When did I bring in psukim or chazal? I just stated my opinion. I have not problem with celebrating the downfall of our enemies, I just think it's bizarre to make gruesome art projects for kids.

I wasn't referring to you but others on this thread. Sorry, should have made that clear.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:50 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Yes.

I am the furthest thing from woke, but ok.

Ema of 5

Why?

Why what?

amother
Bergamot

amother Camellia wrote:
We do have pictures of Pharoe drowning in the sea. Of Antioches falling off his elephant. Of Helipurnis head on a spike.

Personally I do cringe from seeing nooses and yes the culture plays a role. We live in this society, we live by it as well. Nowadays we don’t talk to kids about mom there’s dying in childbirth, it used to be common knowledge in other eras.

Previously, it was very common to die during childhood. The reason it's not discussed openly now os because it is uncommon and why discuss rare complications with children?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:51 pm
I see a project of Haman hanging as similar to a craft depicting Pharaoh relieving himself in the Nile. There's nothing wrong with teaching kids about it, but it's still distasteful to depict it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:51 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Why what?

Why don't you want your child coming home with the project?

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:53 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I see a project of Haman hanging as similar to a craft depicting Pharaoh relieving himself in the Nile. There's nothing wrong with teaching kids about it, but it's still distasteful to depict it.

No it’s more comparable to a picture of Pharaoh drowning in the sea.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:54 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
No it’s more comparable to a picture of Pharaoh drowning in the sea.

But Pharaoh didn't drown in the sea.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:58 pm
It's nothing to do with depecting someone dying. Hangings are a very gruesome way to go. Maybe some women here aren't aware of how extremely gruesome it is because their only exposure to the topic is Purim and Haman.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:00 pm
I think there's a difference between depicting someone in the early stages of drowning vs. hanging or head on a pike (which is a picture I think is too disgusting to display).

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:03 pm
When I was a teen I knew an older girl who died by hanging. My grandma had a relative who hung himself after the Shoah and she found him. If my child would come with a smile with a hanging doll I would be mortified. I’m not the person who thinks this is all acceptable I’m also weirded out by some costumes but that is me call me a filthy woke liberal but I have my own sensitivities and that is ok.

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:04 pm
Im just going to comment that all the pictures that I've seen don't display gruesomely.
Its actually a tree with green leaves. And a string from the leaves to the top of Haman's hat.

Also, I read somewhere that they weren't actually killed by hanging. They were killed and then bodies hung to show everyone that they were dead. (Just a technical difference).
We get this from the fact that the Megillah talks about killing the 10 sons of haman and after that Esther gets permission to have them hanged.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics