Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Pig costume? -update-
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

nicole81

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:31 am
My 1st grader asked to dress as a pig for a farm theme. I don't love the idea and I showed her a bunch of other options but her heart was set on it. I bought her the costume and now I see it's really not a big deal. She's wearing a pink shirt, pink tutu, pink bowtie, pink fuzzy headband with ears, a small actually cute looking snout that she'll not even wear, and a curly tail. She's over the moon and I'm happy for her. I don't think there's any reason to feel bad for a kid dressed in any animal costume if thats what they wanted.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:56 am
amother Coffee wrote:
First, Pig is the symbol of treif.
Second, the mother wants to do a theme not the child.

It is treif to eat the pig, or other food without a hechsher, not to dress up if JPF. Lots of food is treif and less obvious than a pig eg non-hechshered grape juice! I have seen frum kids dressed as grapes for Purim before.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:57 am
nicole81 wrote:
My 1st grader asked to dress as a pig for a farm theme. I don't love the idea and I showed her a bunch of other options but her heart was set on it. I bought her the costume and now I see it's really not a big deal. She's wearing a pink shirt, pink tutu, pink bowtie, pink fuzzy headband with ears, a small actually cute looking snout that she'll not even wear, and a curly tail. She's over the moon and I'm happy for her. I don't think there's any reason to feel bad for a kid dressed in any animal costume if thats what they wanted.

Exactly. šŸ‘

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:01 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
Oot, jpf, I wouldn't think twice about it. If it looks cute, why not?

Because the judgemental women on this site may see you. Hiding šŸ™„

I guess nobody has seen or enjoyed Peppa Pig or Babe.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:37 am
I guess you've never been called a "Jewish pig." If you had, this wouldn't even be a question. Google "Judensau" of Wittenberg.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:53 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Yevonim put that animal on the mizbeach, shocking because it's the most abominable animal.

Mishnah Bava Kamma 7:7
One day, they sent up a pig. When it reached the mid-point of the wall, it stuck its claws into the wall and Eretz Yisrael "quavered" four hundred parasangs by four hundred parasangs.
The Mishna with Obadiah Bartenura by Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Rashi on Genesis 26:34:1
Eisov is compared to a pig as it is said: ā€œThe boar of the forest ravages it.ā€ When the pig lies down it stretches out its hooves as if to say, ā€œSee, I am a clean animal.ā€
Rashi Chumash, Metsudah Publications, 2009

Shabbat 155b:8
incumbent upon you, and therefore, it is prohibited to place food before them, as it was taught in a baraita : One may place sustenance before a dog on Shabbat, but one may not place sustenance before a pig...In this case of the dog, responsibility for its sustenance is incumbent upon you, and in that case of the pig, responsibility for its sustenance is not incumbent upon you, as no Jew raises pigs.
William Davidson Edition - English

Thank you Sefaria!

They are often called davar acher instead of calling it by it's actual name in gemara

Thanks for posting this.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 4:20 am
amother OP wrote:

Never heard of someone thinking a pig costume wasn't cute because pig can be an insult.

You won't like this.
Pigs *can* be an insult? Speechless
OP, I think you should know better.
Plain English:
The room looks like a pigsty.
Poor table manners: eating like a pig.
Dirty as a pig
Stuff oneself a a pig (gluttony)
There are plenty more OP. None of them are neutral or even positive.
Sorry to be so harsh but please stop fooling yourself.
Non-Jewish western non-religious world all see a pig as negative.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 5:29 am
amother Tomato wrote:
It is treif to eat the pig, or other food without a hechsher, not to dress up if JPF. Lots of food is treif and less obvious than a pig eg non-hechshered grape juice! I have seen frum kids dressed as grapes for Purim before.

C'mon! Really! how can you compare a pig and grape juice without a hechsher?!?!

So one can purchase grape juice with a hechsher, [b]BUT TRUTHFULLY, HAVE YOU SEEN FOOD MADE FROM PIG MEAT WITH A HECHSHER[u]?!?!?!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 5:53 am
OP, I don't know how old your child is. I assume that s/he is young. I wonder how your child will feel in let's say 15 years time if s/he comes across an album of your kids in Purim costumes, and sees himself dressed up as a pig of all things?!

I also wonder: now, you - the mother, are choosing the costume. How would you react if 10 years down the line your child wants to choose his Purim costume and decides that he c'v wants to dress up as a Bishop or the Pope or some other high ranking non-Jewish religious persona?

Chas v'Shalom, no way do I mean to compare these two to that animal!!!

Posters here have written, so what it's only a costume, it's not the real thing?
But your child wearing a costume of something that's extreme in non-Jewish ideals, may c"v affect his neshama, if that bothers you.
Your child is not just wearing a costume. He's looking at his costume and enjoying it and is proud of it and wearing it to parties, etc.

It does penetrate.

May Hashem Help you come to the right decision, for your dear child's sake.

Wishing you a "Happy Purim." Smile

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 6:28 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
C'mon! Really! how can you compare a pig and grape juice without a hechsher?!?!

So one can purchase grape juice with a hechsher, [b]BUT TRUTHFULLY, HAVE YOU SEEN FOOD MADE FROM PIG MEAT WITH A HECHSHER[u]?!?!?!

I have seen (and eat) kosher ā€œbaconā€ with a hechsher. šŸ˜‰

NechaMom

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:44 am
amother Tomato wrote:

Op literally asked for our opinion.
Giving it honestly doesnā€™t make us judgemental. Thatā€™s exactly why she started this thread. To hear opinions and decide if she wants to do it.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:35 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Here are some links but if you tell us a specific kind of dog you are looking for then we can help you find a costume.

thank you so much!!!!!!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:11 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

judgmental?? She's asking for the opinions of these womens on this site
Yes, you may also have an opinion that its fine but it doesnt make it judgmental when people are saying not to...

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:15 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You won't like this.
Plain English:
Dirty as a pig

And the kosher animals are positive? I think it's not very nice to call a lady a cow. And people apparently don't mind dogs as costumes, but b!tch is not so complimentary either. (This is a word my mother uses legitimately in her work with dogs.) People look down on animals. I believe.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:22 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Venahapach hu doesn't mean you throw all standards out the window. It's similarly not proper to dress up as haman or (as someone here once asked) a cossack, nazi or other rasha.

Exactly.
Itā€™s Piggish, donā€™t do it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:37 pm
Iā€™ve seen pig costumes in farm themed families. Chassidish. It was really cute and most people didnā€™t bat an eye.

Op do whatever you feel. Thereā€™s no right or wrong here.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:50 pm
Seems like many people are ignoring the actual sources that Thisisnotmyreal brought down
Pigs are NOT the same as any other animal. We are not chabad, so I would have no problem dressing up (or for that matter bringing a stuffed animal into my house) of a dog, horse, kangaroo, lionā€¦ literally any not kosher animals
Pigs are not in the same category
The Torah considers them disgusting, the Gemara, and for that matter, many Jews today, do not refer to them directly by their name. Jews are not permitted to own pigs
They are absolutely NOT the same thing as a dog

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:53 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

Oy vey Can't Believe It

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:55 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
I guess you've never been called a "Jewish pig." If you had, this wouldn't even be a question. Google "Judensau" of Wittenberg.

Honestly I canā€™t even imagine how any mother isnā€™t bothered by even just the fact that sheā€™s turning her child into a pig. A pig.

ā€˜So whatā€™s your child going to be on Purim?ā€™ ā€˜Sheā€™s a pig.ā€™

Nuff said. I guess some people just donā€™t get it no matter how much itā€™s explained.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:56 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You won't like this.
Plain English:
Dirty as a pig

Exactly. How is anyone not understanding this?
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics