Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Can We Shut This Auction Down?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SplitPea

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:24 am
I reported it as well.

sunshine!

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:33 am
marina wrote:
I fail to see the big deal.

Yad Vashem has a replica of the sign. People can wish to have or make such a sign for a variety of reasons. It doesn't even make a difference if the seller is a nazi/ symapthizer.

If you want to be offended, there are much more offensive websites out there, peddling WAY more offensive misinformation or violent items.

ebay sells copies of mein kampf and protocols of the elders, why is this any different?

I guess for me the difference is that my relatives died under the banner of "Arbeit Macht Frei" in Auschwitz, where they were fed lies of productive labor, and I cannot sit idly by while some Nazi/sympathizer tries to sell it as a "work of art". That sign is synonymous with Genocide and annihilation- and I dare not sit back while my grandmother and her siblings blood still soaks the grounds of that "Arbeit Macht Frei" camp.
Why should anyone benefit in any way-including monetarily-from such an object>

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:40 am
Simon Wiesenthal Center To eBay: Cancel Online Auction Of 'Arbeit Macht Frei' Sign

The Simon Wiesenthal Center is urging eBay to cancel the auction of an "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign, touted as "similar to the one in Auschwitz" being offered for sale by a Pennsylvania man using the name "SS panzergrenadier."

The description on eBay reads:

"For sale is a sign in German meaning "Work for freedom" that dates back to the 1700's and was used in many Nazi concentration camps. It was designed specifically from the sign over the main gate at Auschwitz. It measures about 7 feet long and is made from 1/4 round bar steel with 1/8 x 3/4 steel lettering...Note: Gate is not included."

"The denigration of the victims of Nazi Holocaust continues unabated --from Iran's Holocaust-denying president, to thieves who stole the actual sign from the Auschwitz death camp", said Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in a statement from Jerusalem. "People of goodwill the world over expressed their shock and indignation after the real sign was stolen-including the son of an ex-American GI who fought the Nazis, who contacted the Wiesenthal Center to volunteer to make a new sign for the Auschwitz Museum."

"eBay, one of the world's most powerful marketing tools has a moral obligation to remove this callous 'auction' item by someone using the call letters of the (Nazi) SS seeking to cash in on last week's criminal act at Auschwitz," Cooper concluded.

YWN notes that more than 12 hours after the first complaint was submitted, the item is still under review by ebay, despite being in direct violation of Ebays policies.

The item can be viewed at the following eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Arbeit-Mac.....98b3f

(Meir Lewettes - YWN)

marina

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:41 am
my relatives died there too, I think many of us can say likewise.
Personally, I am more offended that there are antisemitic and racist forums than about some guy selling a replica of arbeit macht frei. Mein Kampf and the communist manifesto were responsible for many, many deaths, many more than the sign and they are being sold freely.

preempservices

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:57 am
marina wrote:
I fail to see the big deal.

Yad Vashem has a replica of the sign. People can wish to have or make such a sign for a variety of reasons. It doesn't even make a difference if the seller is a nazi/ symapthizer.

If you want to be offended, there are much more offensive websites out there, peddling WAY more offensive misinformation or violent items.

ebay sells copies of mein kampf and protocols of the elders, why is this any different?

I don't approve of name calling, but Marina, there is definitely a difference between a Holocaust museum and profiting from this. I don't know of any family members lying is the ashes at Auschwitz, but as the child of a survivor, I say zero tolerance. And if you know of more offensive items you should report them to the Simon Weisenthal center or some other appropriate venue.

Ebay has a specific policy regarding Nazi related items. I just want them to enforce it.

GingerSpice

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 12:23 pm
reported it!

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 5:19 pm
seller just posted this today:
"On Dec-24-09 at 10:13:41 PST, seller added the following information:

Note- Due to the controversy of this item, it is very possible that an individual may make an Ebay account just to outbid other bidders without any intentions of buying the item. In this case, the item will go to the second highest bidder."

should we all set up fake accounts and bid over and over so that we will be bidders 1-20 and the seller will have a really hard time?

He also said on the bottom that the highest bidder just set up an account yesterday so its likely that someones done this already...

also, see new pictures posted. sellers intent is to put this on a real fence outside. disgusting.

rainbow

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 5:56 pm
Just thinking...if I was auctioning off some picture of a white man beating a dark-skin-colored slave, a photo of that era, and I was a pro-slavery pro-discrimination ebay seller....I can just imagine the slaves' descendants banging down my door...

Butterfly

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:16 pm
The highest bid for now is over $10,000.00 Mad

It's no surprise that the bidders' would gladly pay this price, and probably much more..
If money can project more anti-semitism and hatred of Jews in this galus, money would be their least and last concern.. Exploding anger

Hashem Yishmor!! G-d protect us!!

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:20 pm
no, butterfly...check it out...both the highest bidders created an account today and yesterday. they may just be messing with the seller by placing fraudulent bids...

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:21 pm
maybe

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:22 pm
*maybe*

Butterfly

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:38 pm
Nomad wrote:
no, butterfly...check it out...both the highest bidders created an account today and yesterday. they may just be messing with the seller by placing fraudulent bids...

True.. however, it still doesn't prove that it's fraud... it's only suspicions..

It's possible those bidders are not steady member's at eBay, because they are filthy rich anyways, and have better choices than EBay.. to run their businesses successfully..
It's very possible that they heard about this precious item being sold thru eBay exclusively, so they opened an account especially for this item.. big deal..

I'm not implying that they're not fraudulent bids, but one cannot be cautious enough.. So if someone who is dead desperate to buy it for 'real', might not want to take any chances, and might just exceed the last bid..

Soon enough we'll all know what's really been going on ...

jewels

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:50 pm
it's also gotten so much publicity.. that could also be why so many people (if they are real) are bidding on it

Nomad

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:02 pm
woh, its at 15,000 now. I hope its fraudulent!

yummydd

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:09 pm
Do u see how it jumped from 220 to 5000 then to 9000 etc. It looks like someone is messing around there.

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:41 pm
I def think this is someone who, seeing that ebay is letting the auction stay, wants to make sure the seller gets NOTHING from it. If the winning bidder doesn't pay up, the seller can then offer it to the next one or two bidders. The way it looks now, this seller will get nothing, except the headache of filing a complaint for non-payment, to avoid owing ebay a percentage of the $15,099.00!
Btw, I'm sure it is no co-incidence that this item is ending on xmas, when there is probably no one in the ebay offices to look into this properly.

~Debbie

Mini Cookie

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:45 pm
Do you think ADL can help??? http://www.adl.org/

jelibean

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:24 pm
Reported here too.

Yesher Koach imamothers for getting active on this!

clowny

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:12 pm
reported

lets hope they will remove it,
thanks
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics