Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Cheesecake with Israeli cheeses?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sped

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:55 am
I make a really easy one:
500+ grams gvina levaina, drained for a few hours
1 shamenet (sour cream)
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 vanilla sugar
1 T flour
opt - alittle instant vanilla pudding

mix,
flavor if you want (mix in melted white chocolate, milk chocolate, marble in some chocolate, whatever you want to do)

bake at 130-135 celsius for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or however long it takes to firm up.
It comes out really creamy and gets rave reviews!

Marion

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:50 pm
sped wrote:
1 shamenet (sour cream)
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 vanilla sugar
1 T flour

mix,
flavor if you want (mix in melted white chocolate, milk chocolate, marble in some chocolate, whatever you want to do)

bake at 130-135 celsius for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or however long it takes to firm up.

That looks pretty similar to mine, except that mine has an optional graham cracker (petit beurre) crumb crust. I make mine in mini silicone pans (single servings), and often buy a container of pie filling. Two spoonsful of pie filling in the hole, then the cheesecake mix...mmm.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 6:12 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
chocolate moose
Quote:
DAIRY NO BAKE TRIANGLE CHEESECAKE - Sounds like more work than it
actually is, from Beis Rivka's afterschool program
1 package tea biscuits, twin pack if possible, with light and dark,
otherwise just use one kind
1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup wine combined in cup
For filling:
3/4 cup Farmer's or ricotta cheese
2 oz (1/2 stick) margarine or butter, softened
1 whole egg
1 pkge vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla
sugar, to taste, approx 1/4 cup
Take 15 light tea biscuits and dip into liquid for just an instant.
Lay next to each other in five rows, three biscuits across, on foil.
By hand, mix cheese filling ingredients until smooth. Spread less
than half the filling over light biscuits. Take fifteen dark
biscuits, dip again, and lay out in same position. Spread rest of
filling on top and pick up foil, making the top meet to form a
triangle. Pinch to keep shape and freeze for an hour to set. Glaze
with melted chocolate chips and pour over frozen cheesecake. Cut
into 1/2 inch slices to serve. You can also keep this cake in the
freezer from week to week.

this sounds pretty easy but what cheese can we use? or does anyone have a diff, easy, good recipe for israeli cheeses?
tia

Meshek Tzuriel has real farmers cheese, there is also tuv taam by Tara. Tbuva has one too but I forget the name.

Inspired

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 6:15 pm
sped, thanks made your recipe tonight. Smile came out yummy! Just the kind I like quick and easy, no exotic ingredients - simple and creamy tasting. I didn't even drain the cheese. I used half tuv taam gvina livana kasha and half 9% reg. gvina livana.

rachel19977

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:01 am
Marion wrote:
sped wrote:
1 shamenet (sour cream)
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 vanilla sugar
1 T flour

mix,

That looks pretty similar to mine, except that mine has an optional graham cracker (petit beurre) crumb crust. I make mine in mini silicone pans (single servings), and often buy a container of pie filling. Two spoonsful of pie filling in the hole, then the cheesecake mix...mmm.

Thanks so much for posting this!!

Finally a recipe without the Shamenet Metuka.

Wow this sounds nice.

I wonder what % of Gvina Levana you used? I'm trying to cut back on cholestrol so I'm draining a 5% one now. I know 9% is better, but not on the calories.

Marion, can a graham cracker crust be made with biscuts?

Marion

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:21 am
Yes, I've used petit beurre (tea biscuits) instead of graham crackers. I use 9% sour cream (shamenet chamutza) and 0.5% gvina levana...the lowest fat I can find on the shelf. It's not as creamy as the higher fat ones, but it's still good!

Oh, and I also do mine in the microwave, 15 minutes or something like that on medium-high.

rachel19977

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 12:46 am
I just made this last night. Ended up crushing some biscuits, adding some oil, spreading on the bottom of the pan. Put the cheese mixture on top, and it's YUMMY. Just like the American cheesecake I used to make in America! DH was impressed. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 2:01 am
Tara has a relatively new cream-cheese like cheese. It is often on sale 2 for 15NIS. I've been using that for my cheesecakes and it's great.

rachel19977

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 4:17 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Tara has a relatively new cream-cheese like cheese. It is often on sale 2 for 15NIS. I've been using that for my cheesecakes and it's great.

What is it called?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 4:43 am
"Gvinat Krem - Shamenet 5%"

Tila

Post Sat, Nov 28 2009, 8:09 pm
when I was in Israel in 1981 (time for a visit eh?) I usta vist a woman named chana who made this amazinf cheese cake with a cheese that is like a thick sour cream but called I think GIL??? I have to search in my files. It ad a meringue on top!

rachel19977

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 2:31 am
YESHASettler wrote:
"Gvinat Krem - Shamenet 5%"

Who makes it?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 3:19 am
Tara

yytsmommy

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 2:53 pm
sped- your recipe looks good, but I have a couple of questions about it, if you dont mind my asking.
1-firstly, is it thick and creamy? or light and airy?
(there are many recipes here but no descriptions of how they taste- there are different types!)
2- secondly, drain the cheese meaning in a pillowcase, like ev/os been saying? if not that way, how?
and doesnt that make a huge mess?
3- is that shamenet chamutza or plain shamenet? someone said chamutza is sour cream
thanx!- new at this and a bit confused!

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 7:19 am
bump - my recipe is on the first page, but there are others too Smile

merelyme

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 7:39 am
PinkandYellow wrote:

this sounds pretty easy but what cheese can we use? or does anyone have a diff, easy, good recipe for israeli cheeses?
tia

From Hamodia:

No-Bake Triangle Cheesecake
Utensils:
measuring cup
small mixing bowl
mixing spoon
strong aluminum foil (about 12 inches by 15 inches, 30 cm x 40 cm)
flat tray or cutting board
medium-size mixing bowl
measuring spoons
microwave-safe bowl or double boiler

Ingredients:
¼ cup wine
¼ cup milk (or omit the wine and use 1/2 cup milk)
30 biscuits (dark brown biscuits look nicest)
1 pound (500 g) Israeli white cheese
150 g sour cream
1 package instant vanilla pudding
2 tablespoons sugar
1 packet (about 1.3 ounce, 10 g) vanilla sugar
½ cup berries (optional)
3 tablespoons margarine (optional)
11 ounces (300 g) chocolate (we used three chocolate bars)

Lay the piece of aluminum foil on your cutting board or tray.
Mix together the milk and the wine in your small mixing bowl. Dip 15 biscuits, one at a time, into this mixture. Arrange these biscuits on the aluminum foil, one biscuit right next to the other, in three rows of five biscuits each. (See picture.)
In your medium-size mixing bowl, mix together the sour cream, white cheese, instant-pudding powder, sugar and vanilla sugar. Spread about half of this mixture over the biscuits in an even layer.
Dip your remaining biscuits into the mixture of milk and wine, and lay them over the cheese mixture. Make three rows of five biscuits, just like you did before.
Spread the remaining cheese mixture over your second layer of biscuits.
Sprinkle the berries along the center of the middle row of five biscuits.
This part is a little tricky but you can do it! You’re going to make the outer rows of biscuits into the sides of a long, standing triangle, while the middle row of biscuits will stay where it is and be the base of the triangle.
Lift the two side edges of the aluminum foil, to raise the outside edges of both outer rows of biscuits. Lift both sides at the same time or half your cheesecake will slide off to the side! (We put our arms under the foil to support the biscuits as we lifted both edges into place.) Bring together the outside edges of these two rows so they meet in the middle at the top. Your cheesecake is now shaped like a long, standing-up triangle.
Fold and pinch together the two edges of aluminum foil at the top to help your triangle keep its shape. Gently push the long sides of the triangle a little so they don’t bulge outward in the middle.
Put your triangle cheesecake (on its tray) into the freezer for an hour or two.
When your cheesecake is pretty well frozen, take it out of the freezer.
Melt together the margarine and chocolate. Carefully pour the melted chocolate over the top of your cheesecake so that it’s all covered. Put your cheesecake back into the freezer or into the refrigerator to harden again.
Slice and serve!

Note: You can also make this cheesecake like a regular layered no-bake cheesecake. Just put the layers in a pan and decorate the top with shaved bits of chocolate.

jellybeans1219

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 4:45 pm
these recipes sound yummy. cant wait to try them

avafem

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 11:13 am
binah918 wrote:
Thanks Supermom for the recipe! Actually I have a number of my own recipes I'd like to try that do require baking. Can I just use the homemade sour cream w/ salt cheese that you make? Is that an appropriate substitute for cream cheese in cheese cake?

Also, you say in the recipe to use 4 cream cheeses (Tnuva). What is it called, in Hebrew? Is it mehardin?

I live near Bnei Brak so if anyone knows of stores with good cheese selections, please share!!! We shop at Shefa Shuk which always has the basics but I never know where to go for more of a selection.

I know Yesh usually has a decent selection of cheeses. I know of two in Bnei Brak - one by cahenman (tzomet coca cola) and one on rechov aharonovitz (by the fire dept)-there is a kind of mini mall with a bunch of stores.

Also, in general, it's better to find good Israeli cheese cake recipes rather than use your American ones because the cheeses here are really different. There is no real Israeli cream cheese. And in the States there is no creamy white cheese Smile
Good Luck!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 9:59 am
shalhevet wrote:
Here's a great recipe:

Base: 250g/ 2 cups biscuit crumbs (I use petit beurre)
100g butter / soft margarine
1/2 teaspoon lemon rind - optional
Mix together and line a baking tray.

filling: 750g/ 3 containers "gevina levana" 5/9%
50g margarine with salt
1.25 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tspn vanilla essence
2 tblspns cornflour/ potato flour
1/2 lemon - juice and finely grated rind
Mix together, in this order. Spread on top of the crumb base and bake for about an hour 180 degrees.

Topping: 2 containers/ 400cc shamenet chamutza (comes in containers like leben, 15%)
2 sachets vanilla sugar
2 tblspns sugar
Whisk together with a fork. Spread on top of cake and bake another 10 minutes.
Turn off the oven. Leave the cake to cool inside for another 20 minutes.

You can freeze this successfully too.

I made this today. Used butter instead of margarine in the filling and I used chocolate cookies in the base. Used lemon juice but no rind.

It came out SERIOUSLY delicious. I doubt it will see Shavuos.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 1:43 pm
Ok, Ladies. I am now going to share with you my winning, no bake cheesecake recipe which I make every year. It's from the Haimishe Kitchen put out by the Ladies Auxiliary of Nitra (given to me as a shower gift from my sister 18 years ago!).

NO-BAKE-NO-FUSS-CHEESE-CAKE

1 pkg. tea biscuits (I use whatever I have)

CHEESE FILLING:

1 1/2 lb. farmer cheese (I use 750 grams 5% cheese and it's yummm)
1 vanilla instant pudding, mixed with milk according to package directions
2 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 pkg. vanilla sugar

On bottom of 13" x 10" baking pan lay out a layer of biscuits one close to the other.
Mix all cheese filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over biscuits. Top with another layer of biscuits one next to the other. (I do another layer of cheese and biscuits). Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight 12-15 hours, to allow cheese filling to become firm.

Optional: Prepare raspberry jello and pour over cheese cake; it will seep through cookies and top of cake.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus