Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
DUH!!! what was he thinking???????
Previous  1  2  3

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 11:36 am
chavamom wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
I worked in Times Square and downtown Manhattan for many years and have never seen Lubavitch putting tefillin on pple on the streets. They're definitely not on "every street corner" 24/6 as you seem to believe. You have to be in the right place at the right time if you want to get a "sighting". When my brothers used to go on Mivtzoyim in NYC they'd generally go into office buildings and had a regular route. I'm not saying that Lubavitchers don't put tefillin on people in public view, b/c I know they do, but you can't assume that everyone has seen this, and if they have, it's not necessarily something that's going to burn itself into their memory.

I'm not denying that tefillin have been mentioned in mainstream media, but it's rare. You'll see more mention of a bagel and schmear, matzah balls, or Jews in Chinese restaurants on Xmas than you'll ever see of tefillin.

That's funny b/c I've never worked in Times Square or Manhattan and don't even visit NYC that often, but I have certainly seen Chabad getting people to lay tefillin. I'd think if in my limited experience...kal vechomer someone that live there?

I have lived here all my life, and never seen tefillin laying on the streets of Manhattan. I have seen lulav and etrog and shofer blowing and even megila on purim , but no tefillin.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 11:46 am
Ditto. I've seen Lubavitchers shaking lulav with people on the streets, but never tefillin. I've also seen them giving out menorahs from the Mitzvah Tanks on Chanukah.

And like I said before, I know that if you're in the right place at the right time, you can have a chance sighting of tefillin, but you can't assume that everyone has seen it.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:24 pm
Looks like we're not doing a good enough job!

Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:28 pm
I think having an established route can be a lot better than standing on a street corner. Then you're able to build a relationship with the people you're putting tefillin on.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:33 pm
That's what the bochurim do on Fridays.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:34 pm
I know, that's why I mentioned it. I was saying that the routes they do are already very beneficial.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:36 pm
Oh, okay, I thought you had a really good idea. Smile

chavamom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 3:11 pm
Interesting article here that makes a few good points. One, they are children. Two, it shouldn't have taken 2 hours to clarify that these were Jewish ritual items of no harm and 3) there was no prohibition violated, they did nothing wrong - and that is the word from the FBI.

Quote:
Klaver [FBI agent quoted] stressed that the incident was a misunderstanding and that the passenger had done nothing illegal.

“There is no restriction against religious practices on the aircraft as long as you not interfering with the flight crew,” he said.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 3:20 pm
Oh, and dh points out that tephillin were not only in the news last week, they were also in the parsha. So perhaps this was part of G-d's PR plan? LOL

ganizzy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 3:53 pm
in one of the news stories, it says he explained to the stewardiss exactly what tefilin are. he never threatened or disturbed anyone. he stayed calm throughout.

also it was a small plane with only about 20 passengars who DID NOT know anything about the situation until they landed and police came on board.

they had an interview with the head of flight attendants and he said he never heard of tefilin - thats crazy. for the average stewardess not to know, thats fine. but fot the head or an org. that deals with all types of people with all types of customs....

in fact one week after the underwear bomber, my bil put on talis and tefilin in full view of all the passengers and stewardesses

Rodent

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:53 pm
I had never seen or heard of tefillin until I was at least 20 and went to a Jewish area specifically because I was interested in Judaism (I'm a gioret from a fairly ethno-centric area originally though). And then it was Chabad on the street and I was only aware because of my interest. I doubt most people I grew up around have ever heard or seen them, I know my mother hadn't and she's in her mid 50s....

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 8:08 pm
Quote:
So perhaps this was part of G-d's PR plan?

Absolutely.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics