Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Chof Bais Shvat -Yartzeit of Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 22 2008, 6:04 pm
Rabbi Shmuel Lew also related:

When my oldest daughter was learning in Beis Rivka in New York, my in-laws visited the Rebbetzin in Tishrei along with other relatives including my daughter, their granddaughter. My mother-in-law told the Rebbetzin that her granddaughter remained in Crown Heights even though she didn’t have a single relative there, but she was happy to be there and to learn in the Rebbe’s mosad.

The Rebbetzin replied, “I will try to remain in touch with her.” We thought the Rebbetzin said this to make us feel good and didn’t mean it literally.

A few weeks later, my father-in-law called the Rebbetzin as he did, every year, to wish her a happy anniversary. The Rebbetzin took the opportunity to tell him, “I have tried to be in touch with your granddaughter but without success.”

He asked the Rebbetzin how she tried and she said, “I called Beis Rivka and asked for Chaya Lew.” The Rebbetzin did not say who she was and whoever answered the phone said that they did not call girls to the phone. “So I don’t know how to contact her.”

When I heard this, I went to the principal of Beis Rivka and told him what happened. As a result, they changed the rule.

In the meantime, my father-in-law gave the Rebbetzin the telephone number of the apartment where my daughter stayed with two roommates. The Rebbetzin called and asked for my daughter but she wasn’t in at the time and her friend answered. She said that Chaya was out shopping and did she want to leave a message.

The Rebbetzin asked that she be told that Mrs. Schneersohn from President Street had called and asked that she call. That is how the connection was established between them and from then on, my daughter began to visit the Rebbetzin.

On Purim she brought the Rebbetzin mishloach manos. When she went in, the Rebbetzin asked her to eat something but she said she had already eaten. The Rebbetzin asked her, “Are you going to the Rebbe’s farbrengen?” She said she was and the Rebbetzin said that at the Rebbe’s farbrengen you needed a lot of strength to push, “So eat something …”

One time, the whole family visited the Rebbetzin and my daughter was there too. The Rebbetzin said that since she was local, she should cut the cake. My daughter took the knife and cut a thin slice. The Rebbetzin took her hand and showed her how to cut a thicker piece and said, “I will teach you how to be a balabuste.”

When my daughter told me this, I thought how the Rebbetzin had a special knack for giving, generously, kindly and with sensitivity for another person.

Motek

Over the years there were times that the Rebbetzin prepared a thermos of tea for the Rebbe and one of the bachurim would be sent to the Rebbe’s house to get the thermos. The thermos was usually ready between the two doors so they did not have to ring the bell and bother the Rebbetzin.

In the early years of the nesius, the payphone in 770, which was located near the small zal, rang. Rabbi Gershon Mendel Garelik, who was a tamim in yeshiva at the time, answered the phone.

“Who is speaking?” said a woman.

“Who is this?” responded Rabbi Garelik in return.

They repeated this exchange until Rabbi Garelik realized it was the Rebbetzin.

“If it is not too difficult for you, could you please come to the house and take a thermos for the Rebbe?”

Of course Rabbi Garelik said he could and he ran to the Rebbe’s house, took the thermos which was ready for him, and when he returned to 770 he put it near the Rebbe’s room.

That was the Rebbetzin’s way of doing things, in a refined manner and hesitantly asking whether it wasn’t too difficult.

Motek

One of the Chassidim who visited the Rebbetzin with his family, wanted to give her nachas and he told her how the world hears about and admires the Rebbe’s work and is aware of how great he is. The Rebbetzin replied in her characteristic royal, Lubavitcher manner, “I know! Lubavitch was always strong and Schneersohn was always a powerful name!”

She was well aware of what was going on with Chabad around the world and she didn’t need us to inform her.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 7:42 pm
R' Gershon M. Garelick (shliach, Milano, Italy) once purchased a very expensive 5-meter piece of wool that was originally prepared for the king of Holland, as a present for the Rebbe. It took him many months to collect the money needed for it... When he came to NY he went to Rebbetzin Chayah Mushka and delivered the package, he asked her that she sew a new coat for the Rebbe with this material.

The Rebbetzin replied: "I appreciated your good intentions, but since WWII the Rebbe did not buy a new wool coat, because of the fear of shaatnez and the Rebbe's winter coat is from before the war".

She continued: "The Rebbe will not be able to make use of the gift, but if you wish I can purchase the material for myself..."

R. Gershon M. told her that it cost him $15 and sold it to her...

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:44 am
bump
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note