Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen Mishaps/Klutz Cook Award (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 7:01 am
I once put chicken in the oven forgetting to put anything on it. It tasted fine anyway.
I don't remember what it was that I was cooking, but when I went to the toaster oven to see if it was ready, it obviously wasn't, because it wasn't plugged in Rolling Eyes .

buzzinmom

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 9:03 am
I once got a meat recipe from a friend that you make in a roasting bag in the oven. It takes like 3 hours to cook so I got up at 6 put it in the oven and went back to sleep. When I came to check on it later...the whole bag had melted into my roast...it was really gross. I learnt the hard way that roasting bags and crock pot bags are two different things!!!!!!!

bebe3

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 9:36 am
So I was cooking over the stove one day when all of sudden hot flames started shooting into my face from somewhere on my body. I couldn't look down because I was scared my face would burn but nowhere on my body did it feel like it was on fire. So after screaming and swatting at the flames and eventually them dying down I realized it was one of the tie strands from my tichel. While I was trying to recover from my fatal experience I went to go see why my dh who was 100 ft. away in his office did not come to rescue me. So I walk into his office with my face all red, my tichel scorched and smoking and asked him "didn't you hear me scream?" he said, oh, that was you? it sounded like some dog.....my hero.

Gnomie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:14 am
I was married for about a month (maybe) when my dh made a siyum. I wanted to be a good balebuste and bake a cake for it. I did not realize that I had put in 1 cup of flour and 2 cups of sugar until the cake came out of the oven. I had originally doubled the recipe, but forgot halfway through, so there were double the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, but single flour, soda, salt. It was not pretty, and chewy to say the least. In any case, I told my dh that it was not very good, but he insisted on taking it with him to the siyum. He served it, and all the men thought it was really tasty. His Magid Shiur even told him to tell me how much he enjoyed the cake.

Gnomie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:16 am
I have also forgotten to put the carrots in a carrot cake Smile

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:19 am
Gnomie wrote:
I have also forgotten to put the carrots in a carrot cake Smile

How'd it taste?

Gnomie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:26 am
not the same, a bit like honey cake but with creamcheese icing! I really had no clue that the carrots were missing until I tried it

mumoo

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 11:40 pm
I am not a cook, ask anybody. Tonight I hosted a shiur and remembered a tip to make your house smell great. I boiled three cinnamon sticks in a pot of water. Which would have worked well except I burnt them. Which didn't smell good at all.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 12:53 am
Which reminds me of a great tip for you next party: Fill an urn with apple juice and add cinnamon sticks. Presto - hot apple cider! Makes a big hit! (mumoo, next time try boiling the cinnamon sticks in water in an urn! Maybe that'll be safer! Wink )

mumoo

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 8:46 am
thanks, ima'la. where were you last night?

tovasmom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:10 pm
Tonight I was home late and in a rush to get my challah dough together in enough time for it to rise and for me to braid it and go to sleep before midnight, so I put the yeast on my stovetop to proof and went back to my counter to proceed with the recipe. I got past the eggs and the oil, sugar, flour, water, salt and had dumped everything out on the counter to knead. The dough just felt wrong as I started to work it. I looked over at the stove and gave out a shriek -- I forgot the yeast!!!! I immediately said to dh -- you have to go and get more flour now (he's nice to me so he did). And my ds asked me "how much did it cost for the dough you are throwing out?" GRRRRRRRRRR!

NativeMom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:16 pm
I forgot to add flour to the brownies I was making and didnt realize it until they were baking already-that mistake turned into the best one ever because it came out fudgy and I just added it to mini graham cracker crusts and topped it with whipped cream

I also set my tichel on fire.....maybe I shouldn't be sharing that one...

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 7:12 am
I burnt an egg pot embarrassed , but that's not as bad to what happened by my parents house. There eggs landed on the ceiling LOL .

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:34 am
Not award worthy, but funny. One ds was very helpful this morning and helped with breakfast by making another ds oatmeal. When he tasted the oatmeal, his mouth was on fire. The older one accidentally put cayene pepper instead of cinnamon Smile . They both have a red cap. He took a drink, I made him new oatmeal, and we all had a good laugh. Very Happy
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen