Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen Mishaps/Klutz Cook Award (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 12:12 pm
my sis was making a chocolate cake with her friend. The cake called for salt, but instead (I have no idea why! maybe they didn't have any regular? it was a long time ago..) they put in kosher salt!
& the punchline is... the cake was called idiot cake because it was supposed to be so simple!
Everytime I see that recipe on my cookbook I have a good laugh Very Happy

timeout

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 12:13 pm
Rolling Laughter

You made me laugh Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 12:14 pm
chen wrote:
if I had dropped it on my foot I'd have broken a toe.

Tongue Out

and why DID the turkey burn

and why IS it called soda l'shtiya???

chen

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 1:07 pm
Motek wrote:
and why DID the turkey burn

250 degrees is still hot enough to burn organic material, it just takes longer.

Motek wrote:
and why IS it called soda l'shtiya???

possibly to distinguish it from washing soda, a compound that is not used much today but was once commonly used as a laundry booster. seltzer is "mei soda" (or at least it was a few years back), which sounds most unfortunately a lot like "mei sotoh". Confused

chen

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 1:16 pm
Come on. ladies, keep those stories coming! these are even funnier than the dating stories.

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 1:36 pm
I put my salmon for shavuos in the fridge to marinate yesterday morning. a little while later, I decided to clean out my fruit/veggie drawer. I saw this bag of reddish/blackish mush. I figured it was some red peppers gone bad. well later at nite, I was searching and searching for the salmon. I decided to check the fruit/veggie drawer (though, why would I put the salmon in there?!?), then the "red pepper mush" dawned on me. I searched thru the garbage, and there was my salmon Sad .
although it was still in a bag, it had been unrefrigerated for about 9 hours by then.

red sea, why don't u bake another pie crust, defrost the icecream, and pour it into the baked crust?

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 1:41 pm
613 wrote:
I searched thru the garbage, and there was my salmon

oy!

I would think "soda l'achila" is more like it!

chen

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 1:52 pm
Motek wrote:

I would think "soda l'achila" is more like it!

a literal translation would be soda la-afiyoh. My father does say that back in the day, people made a bubbly beverage by dissolving sodium bicarbonate in water with a bit of lemon juice. and before there was Alka-Seltzer, there was bicarb--which you also dissolved in a glass of water and drank. sounds awful, but when you have nothing, you make do with what you got.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 1:59 am
Tefila wrote:

What you could do now though can't guarantee the results Confused but can't get worse Tongue Out Is partialy defrost that entire pie. empty the icecream or rather spoon it into a reg bowl. bake crust even if mushy from icecream droppings and then refill.
Let us know how that tasted 8) 8)

Well thats what I did and it wasnt bad in the end Very Happy

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 2:00 am
rosehill wrote:
I totally win.
When I was a teenager, I was baking a chocolate cake with a friend. The recipe called for a cup of coffee.
Yes, we went to the pantry, took out a jar of instant coffee, measured out a cup, and put it in the mixture.
The result?
Inedible chocolate cake.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter :ro Rolling Laughter lling laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Now that is VERY funny!

I would nominate you to win the gold medal for that, but being I already took it for myself you are hereby awarded the silver medal klutz cook award Salut .

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 2:44 am
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
it in an unbaked pie crust,

If it was a graham cracker one then it would've been ok no need to bake if you don't want to/forgot Very Happy
What you could do now though can't guarantee the results Confused but can't get worse Tongue Out Is partialy defrost that entire pie. empty the icecream or rather spoon it into a reg bowl. bake crust even if mushy from icecream droppings and then refill.
Let us know how that tasted 8) 8)

Tefila, You meant drippings, right? Wink (droppings are something I would not want to find in my ice cream pie Pale Sad )

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 2:50 am
luv2beamother wrote:
I think I win the award. I was baking challah for the first time, and I did e/t, including rising, shaping, etc. It was 10 p.m and I was abt. to put in oven, and I cracked an egg to shmear on it, and then I remembered - I hadn't put any eggs into the challah. (I had a sneaky feeling the whole time that s/t was wrong cuz I had to wait a very long time for the dough to rise properly).
I was so annoyed at myself, and I just threw the whole thing out.

the funny thing was that my husband was telling me how it's gonna come out amazing - and that I always say things flop and they come out good ( cuz I was telling him it would flop). and then when I told him what happened - he had n/t to say embarrassed

luv2beamother, the blooper was that you threw it out! When here you made a perfect water challah. shock

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 2:52 am
Quote:
Tefila, You meant drippings, right?

right embarrassed

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 9:48 pm
sorry Tefilah while I laugh my head off Very Happy

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter !drippings and droppings! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

mumsy23

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 11:08 pm
For shavuos I made a "perfect" cheesecake - it looked so beautiful and even. The recipe said I should cover the bottom of the pan with foil and put it into a larger pan filled with water. I put the small pan filled with unbaked cheesecake into the larger pan and proceeded to fill the larger pan with water under the sink. At that moment I decided to space out (this was really late at night and I was really tired) and all of a sudden I realize my cheesecake is filling up with water!!! So I decide to tilt the cake to pour the water out and the whole cheesecake fell out of the pan and flipped on to itself, the crust from half the bottom was on half the top! It was a terrible mess and I was SOOOOOO upset!!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 11:51 pm
Quote:
I realize my cheesecake is filling up with water!!! So I decide to tilt the cake to pour the water out and the whole cheesecake fell out of the pan and flipped on to itself, the crust from half the bottom was on half the top

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 9:57 am
mumsy23 wrote:
For shavuos I made a "perfect" cheesecake - it looked so beautiful and even. The recipe said I should cover the bottom of the pan with foil and put it into a larger pan filled with water. I put the small pan filled with unbaked cheesecake into the larger pan and proceeded to fill the larger pan with water under the sink. At that moment I decided to space out (this was really late at night and I was really tired) and all of a sudden I realize my cheesecake is filling up with water!!! So I decide to tilt the cake to pour the water out and the whole cheesecake fell out of the pan and flipped on to itself, the crust from half the bottom was on half the top! It was a terrible mess and I was SOOOOOO upset!!!!

Rolling Laughter

lucky

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 11:25 am
I prepared a perfect cheese cake and put it to bake in a pan of water. After 1 hour, I thought it still needed 10 more minutes. so I set my timer, and fell asleep shock I woke up 8 hours later Exclamation B"H we did not have a fire. The water in the outside pan supplied enough moisture that it didn't burn.
Not a good idea to bake at night when you are tired. Wink

Nachisdoll

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 10:53 am
luv2beamother I made challah and forgot the eggs it came out interesting...definitly edible! im the queen of messin things up in the kitchen I joke that I need to hire a housewife! and btw my husband offered to buy me a timer for my bday (he bought me gorgeous earings instead) but the lack of the timer causes alot of our food to be blackened!

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 12:35 pm
I love this! I can't wait to flop s/t so I can post it too!!! I'm a good cook except for some burnt stuff!!
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen