Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How do you pronounce Mandelbread?
Previous  1  2

How do you prononounce Mandebread?
"Mandelbread"  
 33%  [ 42 ]
"Mandelbroit"  
 60%  [ 77 ]
"Mandebroi"  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Other?  
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 127

healthywoman

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:32 pm
I wonder how mandelbroit sounds with a sefardic accent Smile

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:36 pm
healthywoman wrote:
It sounds like Yiddish. I didn't write sfardic accent, I said sfardic (as opposed to sfardis LOL ) intonation. You can't take a bunch of Ashkenazi Americans and have them sound Sfardic. Tongue Out

healthywoman

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 5:50 pm
lol I agree!

Isramom8

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 6:21 pm
Mandelbread sounds Reform to me, and biscotti non-Jewish. Brot sounds German altogether. Mandelbroit sounds normal to me, but I grew up with Yiddish in the extended family.

Calling it almond bread gets into the argument of how to pronounce the word almond.

It can be toasted, hence not soft in the middle.

So what are your favorite flavors, with toasted almonds or mini chocolate chips?

neverbored

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:59 pm
healthywoman wrote:
what is with the broit pple? whats wrong with bread?
broit has this chasidish ring to it that irks me.

A biscotti is the fat hard "cookie" or however youd like to put it.
a mandelbread is skinny slice thats soft

And whats wrong with anything having a chasidish ring to it? Do I sense some discrimination here? Who cares what it sounds like? Call it whatever your heart pleases!

chavamom

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 12:17 am
Zus wrote:
Mandelbrot Smile

Yup.

louche

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 10:53 am
healthywoman wrote:
I dont know I guess its psychological, but pple I hear saying broit are generally chasidish or know yiddish and are very frum.

Oh, puh-leeze! I'm an umpty-umpth generation Litvak and we have always said mandelbroit. literally almond bread and a yiddish word--not a chassidish one. "Mandelbread" is a mongrel term, neither pure english nor pure yiddish, and painful to the ears of a purist of either tongue. and while most current yiddish speakers below the age of 70 are chassidish (the others are for the most part secular "ethnic" Jews who identify with their European-Jewish cultural past but reject religious observance) , there is nothing chassidish about mandelbroit.

To the poster who thinks mandelbroit is soft--that's not authentic mandelbroit. I know what you're talking about and I have to say I was deeply disappointed when I bought it because it is NOT the real thing. That so-called mandelbroit is to real mandelbroit what supermarket-brand soft bagels are to a real bagel--a watered-down, dumbed-down, softened-up, emasculated version altered to suit the namby-pamby tastes of a white-bread American-born market. Real mandelbroit is almost identical to biscotti. If you don't chip a tooth on it, it's not the real thing.

louche

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 10:55 am
healthywoman wrote:

exactly the same except with a rolled R.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 5:49 am
Do you know I don't think my mom even uses almonds in her mandelbread. And yes it's EXACTLY the same thing as biscotti. You back it in a loaf, then slice it, then bake again.
And honestly, I don't get what big deal is, to me they taste like really hard cookies and are my last choice.
However, on Pesach they are a bit more palatable since basically there isn't that much else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins