Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Red chrein

mommy36

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 2:53 am
how do I add the beets to the chrein"marror" to make it red for the rest of yom tov?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 2:58 am
Peel beets and process them. Add the raw processed beets to the horseradish/marror.
Add lemon juice, sugar and salt to taste.
(Do not cook the beets. You'll end up with a wet mild chrain. Adding raw beets will give you a store bought chrain consistancy.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 28 2010, 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 3:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Peel beets and grate them. Add the raw grated beets to the grated horseradish.marror.
(Do not cook the beets. You'll end up with a wet mild chrain. Adding raw beets will give you a store bought chrain consistancy.)

thanks. we told my MIL that we will take care of chrein for her cuz after 30 something years of marriage she never made her own, she relies on her mother to make it and the grandmother refuses to make it for first days, she takes her leftover maror from the seder and uses that. the chrein never lasts more than 2 meals..... this year I protested, I need chrain for her falcha fish!!!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 3:45 am
bnm wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Peel beets and grate them. Add the raw grated beets to the grated horseradish.marror.

thanks. we told my MIL that we will take care of chrein for her cuz after 30 something years of marriage she never made her own, she relies on her mother to make it and the grandmother refuses to make it for first days, she takes her leftover maror from the seder and uses that. the chrein never lasts more than 2 meals..... this year I protested, I need chrain for her falcha fish!!!!

For a bit more of an exact recipe:

1 lb. horseradish root / marror
2 medium beets
1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
5 tsp salt, or to taste
lemon juice to taste (you may need a lot, add and taste as you go, up to 1 cup)

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 28 2010, 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Seraph

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 3:51 am
Interesting. I was davka told to use cooked beets.
Which one is it?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 3:59 am
I always use raw.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 4:07 am
Raw. Try it Seraph and you'll know....
One recipe I read wrote one cooked and one raw, I guess to cover all bases.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 4:10 am
Seraph wrote:
Which one is it?

Try it with raw beets, and you'll never want to use cooked beets for your Chrain again Smile

Seraph

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 4:36 am
ra_mom wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Which one is it?

Try it with raw beets, and you'll never want to use cooked beets for your Chrain again Smile
I made it with raw beets last year... I didn't particularly love how it came out. I thought that by using cooked, it would be more like the store bought version.
Maybe the problem was that I was making it grated instead of processed, or my proportions of sugar to lemon to beet to horseraddish was wrong. I dunno.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 4:42 am
Seraph wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Which one is it?

I made it with raw beets last year... I didn't particularly love how it came out. I thought that by using cooked, it would be more like the store bought version.
Maybe the problem was that I was making it grated instead of processed, or my proportions of sugar to lemon to beet to horseraddish was wrong. I dunno.

I made a mistake when I wrote to grate the marror and beets. You are right, they need to be ground very finely.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 5:19 am
I eat fresh chrain plain embarrassed . I just love that earthy, sweet/sour/savory flavor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics