Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Bad Table Manners
Previous  1  2  3  Next

1stimer

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 9:04 am
rg wrote:
but we only have one year old Mendel right now. Very Happy his table manners are quite good actually, he uses a fork to eat and stopped eating with his hands. he uses a napkin when he needs to, and knows how to ask nicely for more food.

Wow, at only one-year-old! How old is he exactly?? (getting worried, my kid - 8 mths - has highchair manners to make a stomach made of steel turn!!)

gryp

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 9:19 am
oops, sorry 1sttimer, I should have written that hes still one years old. hes actually 22 months, and turning 2 this summer.

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 9:30 am
Quote:
hes actually 22 months, and turning 2 this summer

Now that makes sense Very Happy

frielich Wink ( Having problems loggin in)

imaamy

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 10:02 am
That salad bowl stuff--oh my! Does the relative perhaps have an age-related condition like dementia or senility? This goes beyond manners.

1stimer

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 10:09 am
phew rg, so there's hope for my son still. (well, I hope anyway!)

gryp

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 10:15 am
I wouldnt worry about it at this age Smile

Ima-to-angels

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:10 am
just a wild guess, but is this person by any chance from a country like maroco, or irak????[/quote]

Spot on Pearl!

Pearl

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:15 am
which one is it?

but it does explain a lot, and I have plenty to share on the subject, so pm me if interested Wink

Ima-to-angels

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:20 am
RG and imammy - its not a question of senility or anything of that type. Its just s'one who was not taught table manners of any sort - different culture. Much more important to just sit and eat and enjoy than to worry about HOW to to about it.
Its really gross, and my kids have started to copy .... but its a delicate situation - shalom bayit/kibud horim .... get the picture.....

Pearl

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:47 am
oh, I SO get the picture!!!

Ima-to-angels

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:56 am
Pearl wrote:
oh, I SO get the picture!!!
Pearl - you just made my day Smile)!!

Pearl

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 8:06 am
anytime Wink I am here for you! Yes

happymom

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 3:35 pm
We sometimes have guests with really bad manners and my mother just says... heres a napkin... or heres your fork... It just makes it easier for all of us to eat..

Last edited by happymom on Thu, Jun 09 2005, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 6:12 am
When first married, I was horrified by the lack of table manners at my inlaws. My 3 yr old SIL would stick her hand into my plate! I actually had to teach my husband manners. even the basics that you dont use afork u ate w/ to take pickles from the jar.
When at my inlaws (very rarely) I'm the only one eating in plastic dishes cause the others are just rinsed between courses.

This past friday, we stepped in to MIL to say gut shabbos. My daughter "tasted" the kugel FROM the pan. I said to her that she knows better than that. My MIL thought I was NUTS. she doesnt (Neither do her kids)see anything wrong with it.
Basicly all food there has been TASTED.

miriam

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 10:48 am
Not to defend your MIL but I think food tasting is very common in families. My mother used to tease me when I would cook, "some for Miriam, some for the pot."

nechamashifra

Post Sat, Sep 03 2005, 10:35 pm
Quote:
just a wild guess, but is this person by any chance from a country like maroco, or irak????[/

excuse me but isn't that remark awfully discriminatory and uncalled for? I have plenty of close moroccan friends and have yet to have discovered any bad manners in any of them, so please...if you could keep your prejudiced (and ignorant) generalizations to yourself, that would be greatly appreciated.

STRONGMOM

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 3:05 am
well said nechamashifra!!

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 5:16 am
...and pretty rude, too. There are ways and ways of criticizing.

Ima-to-angels

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 6:49 am
As the question was posed to me, I have to say that I don't find it rude, insulting or ignorant. Yep, the person in question is from Iraq and the other person is from Yemen. Pearl obviously understands from a personal point of view what I have to put up with. She is not being rude at all.

I am not casting aspertions on all Iraqui's/Yemenites, but if you read the whole discussion, it will become clear that we were discussing an older generation with a different culture and totally different way of having been brought up/bringing up their children. These people do not know from manners as you/I understand them. That doesn't mean that they are vulgar or low class, it means that they are different. They think that I am out of my mind when I try to instill my European manners on my children.

The very fact that you commented on Pearl's tone, tells me that you are very sensitive to not insulting people (quite rightly so), but that doesn't mean an attack is in order. You may be surprised to learn that I actually found your tone offensive although you probably didn't mean it to be.....

Kol Tuv, Chodesh Tov,

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 11:19 am
I think Sarahd was referring to me when she said I was being rude, not you imatoangels.
In any case I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone Sad ...I was just sticking up for the moroccans and iraquis (and now the yemenites I guess).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics