Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
How do you spice your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ray family

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 9:40 am
a lot of chicken boness/wings/necks
a lot of veg
some garlic cloves
dill
sometimes parsley
let it cook for a loooooong time

slushiemom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 9:46 am
bones and wings from one chicken.
one sweet potato
five carrots
one onion

salt
a drop of chicken soup mix

THATS IT!!! I found the simpler, the better. cooks 10-12 hours and its VERY flavorful

BeckyR

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 10:05 am
My "secret ingredient" spice is dried thyme, together with pepper and kosher salt.
Veggies: carrots, Onion, 2-3 peeled garlic cloves, celery, parsnip, D'la'at ( no clue what the equivalent to that in the US is, it's kind of like butternut squash)
in mesh bag: parsley, chicken bones or turkey necks.

I usually cook it for about 2 hours on Thursday night, then bring it back to a boil Friday afternoon and let it simmer till Shabbat- at least 3-4 hours. Just make sure soup isn't boiling out.

mommyX2

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 10:07 am
just 1 tbsp salt and a lot of garlic powder. this and chicken and veg (carrots, sweet potato, celery, parsnip, zucchini) I let it cook for hours. prob like 6 hrs on the stove. its yummy. Smile

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:04 am
Salt, pepper, dill... and lots of soup mix. My husband likes LOTS of flavor and nothing else will do.
I put in a lot of chicken and a whole bag of celery, a bag of carrots, and zucchini. And of course a whole onion and lots

Dare I ask what my fellow posters don't like about soup mix? I understand that most brands have MSG and partially hydrogenated oil, but I only buy all-natural ones. The ingredients are basically spices and dehydrated vegetables.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:09 am
BeckyR wrote:
My "secret ingredient" spice is dried thyme, together with pepper and kosher salt.

I started using kosher salt in most of my cooking. I feel it's a stronger taste and my dh loves salt.

Imhappy!

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:11 am
I love to read these post b/c it's amazing how something as simple as chicken soup is so different for everyone.

I do it the simplest way. - love it- a real chicken flavor

a BIG package chicken bones - 8 qaurt pot
1 big onion
4-5 big carrots
salt

bring to boil and simmer for a LONG LONG time.

to answer the above question I have nothing against soup mix - use it a lot ( non MSG) in other recipes but chicken soup I like to have the original taste... ( I do throw in some mix in veggie soup..)

Imhappy!

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:12 am
yo'ma wrote:
BeckyR wrote:

I started using kosher salt in most of my cooking. I feel it's a stronger taste and my dh loves salt.

true.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:32 am
fresh garlic, fresh dill, coarse Kosher salt
(sweet potato, parsnip, carrots and zucchini for flavor too)

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 06 2010, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

cuteson

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:38 am
I put lots of veggies ( carrots, sweet potato, zuchinni, parsnip, turnip, knob celery, onion, tomato, garlic) lots of bones. and salt. I let it cook for about 6-8 hours. Really is delicious.
The bones, onion, tomato, garlic I put in these wrapn'boil bags and discard when finished cooking.

Marigold

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 11:58 am
A bit of paprika, a pinch of black pepper and salt. cook for 3/4 hrs.

(I agree with all who are saying to keep it simple. I don't like exotic spices and vegetables in my chicken soup. I add onion/garlic and petrishka. Carrots, squash and celery.)

hardworkingmommy

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 12:00 pm
freidasima wrote:
Soup mix is POISON!!!

Apart from soup greens, carrots, onions, potatoes, I put in salt, garlic, chili flakes. I also rarely make chicken soup and usually do vegetable/lentil soup which is thick and rich. You can also add chicken to it afterwards, but it's a much richer soup. (black, green, orange lentils, pearl barley).

why is soup mix considered posion?

Shalshelet

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 12:02 pm
I make my chicken broth with a touch of salt and sugar.

When I'm ready to make chicken soup, I add sweet potatoes, carrots, celery,parsnip, onions, garlic, zucchini, and if we have on hand, mushrooms. I do not add any spices to the soup.

exhausted

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 12:40 pm
I do mostly the same as everyone else with lots of chicken and veggies but I also add a few bay leaves. They add a really nice flavor.

chanchy123

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 1:23 pm
OheivYisrael wrote:
Salt, pepper, dill... and lots of soup mix. My husband likes LOTS of flavor and nothing else will do.
I put in a lot of chicken and a whole bag of celery, a bag of carrots, and zucchini. And of course a whole onion and lots

Dare I ask what my fellow posters don't like about soup mix? I understand that most brands have MSG and partially hydrogenated oil, but I only buy all-natural ones. The ingredients are basically spices and dehydrated vegetables.

I don't like the way it tastes, there is no need for it in my chicken soup, and I mind the nitrates and the hydroginated fats much more than the MSG.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 1:33 pm
I don't spice. Just chicken necks, tomato often, onions...ze hu...nothing more. Cook forever. Comes out very rich tasting.

OhWow!

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 2:40 pm
Salt, Onion, and lots of fresh garlic. I find that the garlic really enhances the flavor.

busydev

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 2:41 pm
seasoned salt, a little pepper, an onion, a little fresh parsley (I buy and freeze) and dill weed

mom71

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 2:50 pm
whenever I let my soup simmer for a long time (over 2 hours) there is hardly any soup left. What do you do? add more water? Then I have to add more spices?

MrsMom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:01 pm
I dont like MSG soup either.

I use mrs dash and I also put in a whole dill AND parsely. a parsnip helps too, as well as using lots of veges.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics