Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sifting flour

Simple1

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 1:04 pm
Do you sift flour that says pre-sifted? Is it different for US (where I live than E"Y. I usually freeze open flour to avoid infestation and look in the bag when using for signs of infestation.
Thanks.

Merrymom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 1:08 pm
You should always sift your flour even if it says pre-sifted. Just because there were no bugs at the time of sifting doesn't mean new ones can't get in. I found bugs plenty of times and I live in the U.S. and almost always use pre-sifted flour.

Simple1

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 1:24 pm
Thanks.
I should really invest in the electric sifter, because the idea of having to sift usually stops me from baking. What sifters do any of you use?

Merrymom

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 2:47 pm
I have one of those very fine mesh sifters that they sell in the Jewish housewares stores. I sift a whole bag or two at once and put the extra into a ziploc bag. I used to put it in the freezer but the moisture was affecting my recipes so I try not to do that any more. This way I don't have to sift every time I want to make something.

shanie5

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 2:53 pm
I always sift too-probably cuz of this site. It takes a few minutes to sift 5 lbs of flour, so it really doesnt add to the time it takes for baking.

Simple1

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:21 pm
Thanks.
I once tried the very fine sifter and it was hard to get it through. I used a spoon. It was much easier with a reguler sieve but I heard that's not good enough.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:30 pm
Good brands are pre sifted. We don't re sift because good brands are reliable. If it doesn't look good (extremely rare, maybe once every 10 years?) it goes to the trash, no need to take risks.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 3:31 pm
We just had a discussion about flour sifting here:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....13202

Simple1

Post Sun, May 16 2010, 5:07 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Good brands are pre sifted. We don't re sift because good brands are reliable. If it doesn't look good (extremely rare, maybe once every 10 years?) it goes to the trash, no need to take risks.

My dh also thinks like that. I guess I could always ask a shaila...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions