Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Got milk? (if you don't live in the U.S. or Israel)

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 8:26 am
What kind of container do you get your milk in? Is the chalav yisroel container different than not chalav yisroel? I know the states sells it in bottles and Israel sells it in bags, or at least that's what I heard, Israel, not the states. Down here they sell it in bottles, but they're hard to find, bags, and boxes. The boxes are the long shelf ones. Chalav yisroel only comes in boxes. I call it a box because it's rectangular, not like a carton of milk in the states, and the only way to open it is to cut it open, unless of course you could rip it open.

shoeboxgirly

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 8:37 am
In the UK almost all fresh milk (CY and not) is available in plastic bottles and long life in either plastic bottles or cartons (like a juice box carton).

There is some bagged milk (not CY) being sold in supermarkets, and some milk men still deliver glass bottles.

I only buy fresh milk so only get in plastic bottles. These plastic bottles are square/rectangular at the base, I hadn't ever considered this to not be normal.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 8:41 am
shoeboxgirly wrote:
There is some bagged milk (not CY) being sold in supermarkets, and some milk men still deliver glass bottles.

Wow, didn't know that was still done anywhere. I bought a glass pitcher to put the milk in because it looks nicer and anything cold in glass, taste better. It lasted much longer than expected Smile . We get water and seltzer delivered, but in plastic bottles. The seltzer bottle is a spritz bottle, but like I said, in plastic.

Imma2+2

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 10:46 am
In the Toronto (Canada) area, C"Y comes in plastic bottles for 2L and cardboard gable-top cartons for smaller sizes (where you pull open to form a spout).
Chalav Stam comes in cardboard gable-top cartons for 1L regular and different sizes of premium types (ultra-filtered, lactose-free, added vitamins). Regular, cheap milk comes in 4L bags, with 3 individual bags inside that you use with a plastic jug. You can get organic chalav stam like that, too.
Shelf-stable milk comes in a carton with a plastic lid and tear-off foil underneath, just like non-dairy milks (soy, rice, almond, etc). Refrigerated non-dairy milk comes in a gable-top cardboard carton with a plastic screw-top opening.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 4:44 pm
I think Sainsbury's tried to introduce Israeli-style (non-CY) milk in soft plastic bags but I don't think it wasn't that popular. They used to sell plastic pitchers which made nice gifts to Israeli friends but seems like they're discontinued. Long-life CY milk is French one that comes in white round bottle, I don't particular care for the taste. Very fortunate we have easy access to CY (though they seem to have shorter shelf life), and I keep a plastic bottle in the freezer. The milkman delivers half-pint plastic bottles to my office. The only milk I've seen in glass jars are specialty ones like Jersey milk (really rich, cream on top). We pay 90p per litre on CY milk. I checked Tesco, it's comparable (but slightly more expensive) to 89p per 2 pints.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 4:53 pm
when I was little we got cy milk delivered every morning. it came in cartons, I think. Like tropicana catons but pint sized. (literally Smile )

My non Jewish neighbours got their milk delivered in glass bottles. the empty glass bottles got put back out to be recycled.

I was pretty shocked to find out that in other places people actually bought their milk in the supermarket!

Now I don't know if anyone gets milk delivered daily. Sad We buy ours frozen in 2, 1 litre or half litre plastic bottles. We once got a whole pallet of long life cy milk for an incredibly cheap price which lasted us about a year but I don't think my kids would go for it at this point.

Imma2+2

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 5:14 pm
I remember those round plastic bottles of uht c"y milk from when I was a kid!
My parent's milkman delivers both plastic and glass bottles of chalav stam, but no longer every day, so they also buy from the supermarket!
Here in Toronto we pay about double the price of the cheapest chalav stam for the c"y, and about the same for c"y and premium organic milk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen