Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
To buy or not to buy: changing table
Previous  1  2

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 2:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Rail-Rider-Easy-Care-Changing-Table/dp/B00005BMN5
This looks great! I wish I can get one. Sad
No websites ship to your area for reasonable rates? Sad

I didn't check, but I would have to go and pick it up. It's a real shlep!!

mom2bsn

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 2:31 pm
I have a changing table and love it! Its much easier on your back and its more convenient to have everything you need in one place--diapers, wipes, creams etc

SivanMom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 2:36 pm
Please be kind to your back and get one. I didn't get my furniture till 3 months after my first was born, boy was I ever glad when that changing table came. Beds are an awful level for changing a diaper, terrible for your back. My daughter is 22 months now, every single clothes dressing, and nearly ever diaper change still gets done on her changing table.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 2:36 pm
A mat is a terrible idea, specially when the baby rolls. And where will you keep all the supplies?

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 2:47 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I never bought or used a changing table. All changing was done in portable mat. I liked being able to bring a mat wherever the baby needs changing (including the garden), and I didn't have to be nervous once the baby starts moving/wriggling. IMHO I'd rather get a solid chest of drawers (make sure you stabilise it against the wall).

Me too , I have a basket with all supplies including a ready made outfit I replace once it gets used (it helps DH dress her too).... so ,I can get it done and over with.
If you still want one my friends had 2 cool products . the folding change table from ikea or those playpens from graco that come with the changing area...less is more with baby equipment as it can get crazy expensive ,borrow if you can.
PS playpens make the best LAUNDRY BASKETS Very Happy

mamaleh

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 3:18 pm
When dd was tiny (don't remember her exact age) we found a wooden changing table at a flea market for $10. Best purchase I ever made. She's 3-1/2 and I still use it daily. I hate floor/ bed changing, it kills my back (she is still in diapers) and this just puts her at the right height for everything: hair brushing, medication, changing, etc.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 3:26 pm
When you have a few kids IY"H you find that you run out of closet space. My 8 year old is the one using the changing table now as her set of drawers. I think it's the second one we had in 20 years. Very convenient, even when the kids get older.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 3:45 pm
cranberry wrote:
If you already have a dresser in the room, you can just buy a changing table pad and put it on the dresser. Then you won't have an extra piece of furniture that you eventually won't need anymore. I find it more convenient to use this, since it's at a good height.

Now that I'm on my fourth, it's not always so easy to go into another room for diaper changes, so I try to also keep supplies near the couch.

This was the BEST piece of advice that we had when looking into what baby furniture to invest when we had our first child. We end up having more drawers this way. (3 drawers and 3 drawers - all normal size) We placed the changing pad on top of it and all the things that go with it on the countertop.

I also keep diapers and things in my bedroom and in a wicker basket in my den.

Basimcha

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 6:21 pm
I have one but never use it. For me it's just so much easier to have the diaper mat handy and change the diaper either sitting on the couch or sitting on the bed.

leahsurie

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 7:04 pm
I used a towel ontop of my washing machine, very convenient and perfect height!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 8:24 pm
Basimcha wrote:
I have one but never use it. For me it's just so much easier to have the diaper mat handy and change the diaper either sitting on the couch or sitting on the bed.

No way do I want smell or mess on a non washable surface like my couch, or, for Heaven's sake on my own bed !

Cookie Monster

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 9:33 pm
I never got one but I always wished I did....If I would have the space I surely would!

SorGold

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 9:38 pm
I am definately for the changing table. I use it all the time. Mine has a special piece that you can remove from the top so its a regular dresser when you dont need it to be a changing table anymore. I only have one floor though. Not sure if I'd use it as much if I had to go upstairs to use it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 9:38 pm
Takes up space and is a pain in the neck. I love using my beds.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 9:50 pm
I think you should take a poll because it seems that everyone thinks 50/50. I love my changing table, which is really a dresser that has a changing mat on top. I like it for the following reasons:

-It really makes a difference on your back, especially when you are changing multiple children or a newborn that soils often.

-I keep all of my baby's clothing, diaper creams, wipes, etc. in it so I have everything in one place when I dress or change him/her.

-I have a changing mat with a cover that I use, so no worrying that I'll soil my couch or beds, and if the cover gets dirty, it's a snap to pull it off and put on a new clean one.

I still use it to dress my 3 year old and will continue using it, as I plan to have more kids, BE"H. I would suggest for you to get a changing table with drawers because babies can pull off stuff when they get to the crawling stage. Also, it's convenient to store everything in one piece of furniture. It's worth extra money.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jun 07 2010, 10:07 pm
I didn't read the responses, but want to say that I just purchased the top part and placed it on my washer. It worked out really well and would do it again.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 1:26 am
OP here.
wow, thanks so much for all the responses, they really help making an informed decision easier.
There are plenty of good ideas and ways to deal without and there are plenty of reasons to get.
I still don't know what I'm going to do, but im leaning towards not getting one, at least for the beginning, who knows,....
thanks again

amother

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 1:49 am
I didn't read responses, just your last post. I've done without a changing table for 6 of my 7 babies. I only realized after I had one that, I really don't need it. It didn't come with us on a move and I haven't missed it since.

Simcha100

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 2:11 am
I did not read the responses but I have four kids, since the first one we have had a changing table that is also a stand for the bath tub. Some ppl find a stand for the bath very useful and helps not to bend over. I happen to have almost never used it in that way, but I liked having a convinient place to put it. THe changing table part with I believe is higher than the dresser kind is amazing. Yes, I have the pads also for the times I want to change somewhere else, also when I am not at home with baby, but it really is easier for the back.
So I recommend you get the changing pads (regular one that comes with a diaper bag and cloth absorbing, esp. if its a boy) and a changing table either like the one I described or that is a dresser as well- if the height of changing table is good for you. Draws can be convinient in a different way than a closet, for small clothing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics