Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you allow mixed singing at your Shabbat table?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Do you allow your daughters to sing at a mixed Shabbat table?
I encourage my daughters to sing at the table  
 28%  [ 29 ]
I don't mind if they sing  
 13%  [ 14 ]
I strongly discourage my daughters to sing at a mixed table  
 8%  [ 9 ]
My daughers would never dream of singing at a mixed table; they've been taught it's against halacha  
 48%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 101

kalsee

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 6:10 am
Quote:
Shaitel vs. hair might be a more intuitive comparison

um , the quotes got mixed up. This was answered 10 posts ago.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 8:19 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Chareidi society is pretty strict about this. No live or recorded women's singing voices for boys from age nine.

This is really a big generalization and many do differently.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 8:24 am
sequoia wrote:
Really, why is that?

(Answering about why there is a delay on the radio) I think the sound waves take longer to travel. If someone doesn't believe this, phone into a phone-in show and you'll hear the program before it's broadcast.

So FS, how can you answer amen?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 8:26 am
Ruchel wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Chareidi society is pretty strict about this. No live or recorded women's singing voices for boys from age nine.

I think people have told you enough times that your definition of chareidi is not the generally accepted one in EY or America. Why do you keep posting as if it's a surprise every time?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 8:31 am
shalhevet wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I think people have told you enough times that your definition of chareidi is not the generally accepted one in EY or America. Why do you keep posting as if it's a surprise every time?

So they dress charedi, send their kids to charedi yeshiva/sem (and school when possible), may marry charedim outside of the country... but somehow they are not charedi?
I'm talking of families where the mom may have learned in Gateshead or Chabad sem, the dad may have learned in Mir or rue Pavée or Brunoy or Manchester, etc. They are certainly charedi. Some have left France or have no link to here and are recognized as charedi in their communities in Israel or America. Some even post on Imamother.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 10:50 am
When your are saying mixed... you are not relating to sisters and brothers, or are you?

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:06 am
I was just about the only person I knew who grew up that way, not singing in front of brothers And then I found it in the book "Halichos Bas Yisroel." (And no, my father didn't get it from there.)

freidasima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:31 am
Shal I was taught that it is the same (the delay) as in the great shul in Alexandria where it was so big that in the back you couldn't hear the brochos but were allowed to say Amen as they had big guys with big flags in the front and in the middle and at the end of the brocho they would dip the flag and then the guys in the middle would dip the flag and you were permitted to say Amen to that brocho even if you personally didn't hear it as you were considered part of the kahal.

If the person making a brocho has in mind that anyone hearing it, knowing that the brocho is being made etc. is part of his "virtual" kahal, then you are permitted to answer amen to it, just as the shaliach tzibur in alexandria had in mind that he was making the brocho for anyone who would see the flag.

so I was taught.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics