Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
NOBODY WANTS MY PRETTY DRESS
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Tova

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:05 pm
You look very pretty!

Honestly, although you wore the dress of your dreams, I think both the pink color and the tulle material on the bottom/train make it too unconventional for the typical kallah.

Dobat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:07 pm
You cannot see the pink here so well, but I will admit it is pretty pink!

de_goldy

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:09 pm
I think the pink is why no one takes it - many have a strong minhag to wear only white to their wedding. Also, to me, the top and the tulle don't really blend very well.
Lastly, I would think that most kallahs looking for a size 14 would be looking for something more flattering/slimming (which is not to say size 14 is huge - it's not!! but it is considered a 'bigger size'.)

But - its quite funky and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!!

Dobat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:11 pm
I posted this bc I wanted ideas as to what to do with it! I ALREADY know its unconventional, different, weird combination, etc etc!! That's why no Gemachs want it!!
BTW, It doesnt stop me loving it! LOL!!

spinkles

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:13 pm
Don't feel bad that those gemachs didn't take it. It's just that someone getting a wedding gown from a gemach wants something that people won't immediately be saying "hey I recognize that dress from so-and-so's chasuna," kwim? Is it possible that the tulle on the skirt could be removed to make it a more generic gown? It's a stunning gown, and it would be so nice if other kallahs could benefit from it.

Dobat

Teacup9 - how does one preserve a dress?

Nomad

maybe post it on jewish community yahoo groups or luach.com

Teacup9

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:15 pm
I think it is very flattering.

At my wedding several people came up to me and said "That dress is so you!" as if it was a compliment, but really they meant "and it isn't me at all!"

Dobat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:15 pm
I am not originally from the USA, so no one can say I saw that on so and so. I dont know if the tulle can be taken off. Each piece was hand sown on! Yes, if you're wondering, it was expensive!!

Teacup9

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:20 pm
Dobat wrote:
Teacup9 - how does one preserve a dress?

You give it to a specialty dry cleaners or bridal shop who preserves dresses. They clean it and put it in this large-ish dress box that is probably vacuum sealed and they stuff the appropriate places with tissue and then for more fees they store it somewhere temperature and humidity safe or you take the box to your apartment (or mother's house) and it lasts until your daughter or DIL opens it and says "you wore that?!" or "ah it is so classic!"

I found one in my garage (looks early 80s). It looks like half a life size bride is in the box.

Atali

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:20 pm
Have you tried the Crown Heights gemach? Back when I was a kallah they were known to have a shortage of larger-sized dresses so they would likely want to take it.

marina

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:25 pm
Atali wrote:
Have you tried the Crown Heights gemach? Back when I was a kallah they were known to have a shortage of larger-sized dresses so they would likely want to take it.

I sold my dress to them, it was such a good deal. I got it made by Mrs. Okunov and then they bought it for 1/2 the price it cost me to have it made Smile

Dobat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:27 pm
No offense to the Crown Heights Gemach, Im sure they have many beautiful dresses. But, they were one of the places that did not want my dress!!

Atali

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:30 pm
Dobat wrote:
No offense to the Crown Heights Gemach, Im sure they have many beautiful dresses. But, they were one of the places that did not want my dress!!

Oh well. If you still have it the next time my MIL comes to visit (hopefully this summer) I can ask her. She runs a gemach in another country and is always on the lookout for new dresses.

Dobat

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:52 pm
Anyone interested in this dress, please pm me. Thanks

GreenEyes26

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 11:57 pm
I think it's gorgeous! Smile

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:35 am
In Israel tulle skirts are the current fashion in wedding gowns. I'd contact Sheindel Weinbach's gemach. Her email address appears in her weekly article Lite From Jerusalem in Hamodia.

ally

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 2:43 am
I think its a great dress.

LeahW

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 3:03 am
The dress is gorgeous and flattering, you looked beautiful in it. Now, as you already know and said, it's not conventional. When people choose unconventional, it's often because they want to be different. Even though you are not from the US, people see a dress sitting in a gemach and know that it's possible a few other girls may have been seen around town with it. It wouldn't bother me, but might bother someone who wants to be different. I'm sure the tulle can be taken off, it's a question of whether it's worth it for anyone to pay for alterations.

WeAreOne

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 6:00 am
What about repurposing?

Using the material to sew a dress(es) for your (future?) DD(s)?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics