Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
NOBODY WANTS MY PRETTY DRESS
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 6:04 am
How come I cant see the link. It says broken.
I want to see. It sounds so cool!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 6:55 am
de_goldy wrote:
I think the pink is why no one takes it - many have a strong minhag to wear only white to their wedding. Also, to me, the top and the tulle don't really blend very well.
Lastly, I would think that most kallahs looking for a size 14 would be looking for something more flattering/slimming (which is not to say size 14 is huge - it's not!! but it is considered a 'bigger size'.)

But - its quite funky and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!!
actually, Rebbishe families have a strong minhag NOT to wear white. E. Sternberg writes that the Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka a"h told her that being that she comes from such a family she should not wear white. Her children all had off white gowns with some tint of another color, and the grandaughters too.

The color would be exactly what someone from a family of Rebbishe yichus is looking for.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 7:04 am
I heard once from a friend from Austria that women get their wedding gowns re-made into ballgowns. Could you get it altered and make some fabulous special simcha dress??? I am considering dyeing my wedding gown and shortening it to make a dress to wear to a fancy wedding.

smilethere

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 7:19 am
TzenaRena wrote:
de_goldy wrote:
I think the pink is why no one takes it - many have a strong minhag to wear only white to their wedding. Also, to me, the top and the tulle don't really blend very well.
Lastly, I would think that most kallahs looking for a size 14 would be looking for something more flattering/slimming (which is not to say size 14 is huge - it's not!! but it is considered a 'bigger size'.)

actually, Rebbishe families have a strong minhag NOT to wear white. E. Sternberg writes that the Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka a"h told her that being that she comes from such a family she should not wear white. Her children all had off white gowns with some tint of another color, and the grandaughters too.

The color would be exactly what someone from a family of Rebbishe yichus is looking for.

True - maybe try a gemach in williamsburg. I was makpid to wear an off-white gown.

willow

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:05 am
I am surprised a gemach doesn't want it. A lot of girls your size need dresses. Try ogenbraum (spl??). So its pink a lot girls like something different.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:11 am
In Williamsburg, do the kallos wear gowns so long?

willow

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Whats the difference most places let you make alterations.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:48 am
I would dye it pink and save it as a simcha dress! Kudos for your individuality ,I think is very cool . Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:56 am
willow wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I have no idea -- I didn't get a gown from a gemach ever, so I have no idea what is allowed Smile

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 10:08 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
willow wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I have no idea -- I didn't get a gown from a gemach ever, so I have no idea what is allowed Smile

As a guess, it would cost a fortune to alter that gown, with all of the tulle at the bottom. Women may be unlikely to want to spend that kind of money on alterations.

As a suggestion, sell it on ebay.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 10:20 am
Isramom8 wrote:
In Israel tulle skirts are the current fashion in wedding gowns. I'd contact Sheindel Weinbach's gemach. Her email address appears in her weekly article Lite From Jerusalem in Hamodia.

I agree. I'm sure she would love it and you would make an Israeli kallah very happy. Her number for the g'mach has been listed the past few weeks in the paper.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 2:37 pm
I'd have worn your dress for my wedding in a heartbeat! I love pink and wasn't really given the option to include pink in my dress (in fact I hated the whole dress and the dressmaker, but whatever long story) but I LOVE YOUR DRESS! Its so cool!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 3:08 pm
yes of course, the only time williamsburg girls wear floor length gowns is to their own weddings!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 3:10 pm
I've been to a few Willi weddings, I thought I remember the dress not going completely to the floor.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 3:34 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I've been to a few Willi weddings, I thought I remember the dress not going completely to the floor.

The only reason I ever heard (from a family member who used to have a bridal gown rental) for having the gown be about an inch off the floor, was to help the kallah avoid tripping over the hem when she is dancing. But then it is still a floor length gown, but just doesn't actually touch the floor completely. (and I have been to weddings where the gown was that inch too long and made it difficult for the kallah to dance without tripping over herself.) I am talking here about williamsburg and boro park chassidish kallahs.

bubby

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:01 pm
I think it's gorgeous, & even with your face blocked out you look amazing! I think a consignment store or advertising in some high-end mag might work. Have you asked the designer if he/she could sell it for you? Don't bother with BP or WB, they are too traditional & wouldn't be interested. This is a unique piece, very stylish! I bet the crowd was wowed!!!

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:38 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
de_goldy wrote:

thats why I am surprised that the ch gemachs did not want it.

I think it is a lovely gown, but definately original.

You COULD keep it and have your dd's use it, maybe with a bit of alteration.

3Qts

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:40 pm
yes of course, the only time williamsburg girls wear floor length gowns is to their own weddings!

Is that so?

Dobat

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:47 pm
OP - Anyone know of a place that I could put it up for consignment? I am not saving it for my DD, She is 10 months! I hope she will be a slimmer build than me pg!!

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 4:55 pm
3Qts wrote:

Is that so?

Exactly.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics